why didn't you get navi for your car

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 09:46 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post why didn't you get navi for your car

I dont know.....I just wanted to know why some people didn't get NAVIgation on there TL's. Like for me.. it was the navi and how the interior look with it, is what sold me to buy the car. When I bought it I then realized a week later that this car kicks ass and is much better then what I expected.
Old 03-21-2001, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't get it, 'cause I knew I'd hardly use it. Plus it was just going to add more to my montly payments. Don't regret it either. Not putting it down, just don't care for it.

Originally posted by VeiLsTyleZ:
I dont know.....I just wanted to know why some people didn't get NAVIgation on there TL's. Like for me.. it was the navi and how the interior look with it, is what sold me to buy the car. When I bought it I then realized a week later that this car kicks ass and is much better then what I expected.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver TL
- Factory Rear Wing
- Factory Body Kit
- Factory Wood Kit
- Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-21-2001, 09:59 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

For me, it was at first because of the fact that I didn't need it due to my past job (Field Engineer - Never will get lost around here). I just couldn't justify getting something I wasn't going to use.

I thought $2K was a bit much, and the dealer wouldn't budge on it at all.. but now I regret not getting it alot because I found that the payments aren't that bad!!
The other reason I regret it is that my soon to be wife will be driving it and you know how some women are about getting lost. That would really be good for her to have.

One more thing, Now that there is a Video kit available to play DVDs that just makes me wish I had gotten it more.

Oh well, I'll get it in my next car a few years down the line, and they should be even better by then. -Live and Learn

------------------
Knowledge is potential, Action is power.
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Old 03-21-2001, 10:10 PM
Pro

I live in L.A
I didnt really need one either cuz I knew my way around. But I use it more than I expected, I use it everyday.. to look for seven 11's, gas stations, ATM's, and even dry cleaners. So, I dont know...just wanted to know how everyone thought about it(navi).
Old 03-21-2001, 10:55 PM
Drifting

I'm in the biggest city in Nebraska with the only dealer in the whole state, but they're dumb enought not to make a map of the city, that's why.

------------------
Moderator on Acura-TL.com Forums

2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 03-21-2001, 10:59 PM
Instructor

I live in Hawaii... doesn't work here!
Old 03-21-2001, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

I wanted it so bad, but we don't have it
as an option in Canada
Old 03-21-2001, 11:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

for me, if you lease the car then dont need to spend the extra cash on something that im giving back later.
if i'm buying, then i would get the NAVI regardless if i need it or not b/c its a great selling point when you want to get rid of the car.
Old 03-21-2001, 11:58 PM
Drifting

I didn't think I would need it. And at the time, I felt like that $2K could be spent wisely on something else... like 18" rims.

But now I think about it, I probably should have gotten it since I drive to different locations all the time due to the nature of my work. Sometimes it's hard to find the destination on Thomast Guide.
Old 03-22-2001, 12:59 AM
tea elle

Originally posted by VeiLsTyleZ:
I live in L.A
I didnt really need one either cuz I knew my way around. But I use it more than I expected, I use it everyday.. to look for seven 11's, gas stations, ATM's, and even dry cleaners. So, I dont know...just wanted to know how everyone thought about it(navi).
I live in LA and I'm baffled by the fact that you use your navi to find ATMs, gas stations and 7/11s. THERE ARE SO GODDAM MANY OF EACH OF THOSE THINGS IN LA...HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY NEED HELPING FINDING THEM???

As usual, I have to be honest on these forums because I believe that's the whole point of this site....and....I think you're looking for validation that you made the right decision in spending all that money for a toy that you may not get much use out of once the novelty wears off; and it will wear off.

You said you know your way around L.A., well so do I, so I don't have a navi system. I think very soon you will tire of using your navi to find ..."dry cleaners?"...you really only need one dry cleaner, right?

Not to burst your bubble...I'm just calling it like I see it.

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-22-2001, 01:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 2K-TL:
I live in Hawaii... doesn't work here!
Yup...in the same boat. But would've been nice to get it for the drive-in-to-work movie!
Old 03-22-2001, 01:54 AM
Safety Car

I can barely afford my TL. My intrest rate is 20%. I didn't think I'd ever use it.

Now that I manage to spend on my car all the money I didn't send in to the loan people, I should've gotten it. =Z Its got a certain cool factory going for it and the ability to play video on it is just kicking me when I'm down. Thanks Steve.

------------------
2001 Silver TL, non-navi, Inspire tails & wood steering wheel, 2 burlwood dash kits & shift knob, TL-S passenger vent trim, Alumapro BP-10 & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), factory spoiler & body kit, AEM short ram intake, blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill, Comptech sways, springs & exhaust, SuperCrystal lugs, black chrome emblems.

On order: 19" Alstadt IVs, 225/35ZR19 Nitto 555s, Apex'i V-AFC.

Nate's ride
------------------
"Every man dies, not every man lives."
Old 03-22-2001, 07:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Dont really need it, I pretty much know my way around Houston, plus I hardly go out of town....plus I could use that $1700 to get me some rims or do something to my car

------------------
Patrick Lee
2001 Acura TL
WW Spoiler
WW Body Kit
Old 03-22-2001, 07:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Originally posted by Edub-TL:

The other reason I regret it is that my soon to be wife will be driving it and you know how some women are about getting lost. That would really be good for her to have.
This is the number one reason I am getting Navi. The car is going to be my wife's and she is horrible with directions. I will have peace of mind knowing that she will have no problem getting to where she is going.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:35 AM

Didn't want to spend the money up front. Made a budget promise to stay under $28000 total. If you can afford it up front, I would get it. Remember you will get most all of it back at trade(I think). Unless you plan on keeping your TL a long, long time.
Old 03-22-2001, 08:15 AM
Instructor

I dont need navi, to tell me how to get to work. Damn thats sorry huh. home-work-back home. my car knows how to get there while i sleep on tha way. dont honk if u see me, im tryin to sleep. ha
Old 03-22-2001, 08:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Cool

I've got my own personal navi in the passenger's seat. It's not a nice voice, but tends to blabber on about stuff other than directions sometimes. Must be something wrong with the software. Maybe I'll try to fix it the Russian way.
Old 03-22-2001, 08:18 AM
Daddy

I didn't get it because I usually keep my cars for 7 to 9 years. I figured by then the technology would be so outdated that it may even hurt me on a trade in.

------------------
'00 Firepepper Red TL
Old 03-22-2001, 08:38 AM
Instructor

No regrets! Navi looked like a cool toy, but not necessary for me. Wife rarely drives the TL and she is technically challenged.

The next family van will have a navi system, because that's the one we always use. And my wife will still not use it!
Old 03-22-2001, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by TLinKC:
I didn't get it because I usually keep my cars for 7 to 9 years. I figured by then the technology would be so outdated that it may even hurt me on a trade in.
The fiance nixed the idea of a navi, although I remind her every time we use Mapquest for directions how awesome it would be if we had just sunk the extra $2k.

But TLinkC makes an interesting point I didn't even think about. I plan to keep my car for some years too, and do you think that the technology would improve so dramatically that having a navi system (circa 2001) would hurt the resale value of the car? The closest thing I can think of is buying a used car with a 8-track player...but you would just swap that out, right?

DA

Old 03-22-2001, 10:00 AM
Racer

I admidt that i dont use my navi much. in fact i think it has been a few months since i used it. but the truth is when i got the car i thought it was the coolest thing i ever saw. and i knew i would be taking road trips in the car. my wife and i like to be spontanious and just leave home on a friday after work with no destination in mind. we dont make plans we dont reserve hotels we just go. every time we have done that we always have trouble finding motel's / hotel's that have vacancy. last time we took a trip we drove 800 miles to sixflags amusement park in dallas fort worth texas. we had to look for a place to stay when we got there. had to locate resturants to eat and such. i know i will get my money's worth out of the Navi on our next outing and that is why i bought it. we plan to head to california next summer to visit all the amusement parks and universal studios and sea world. i havent checked yet but i would be willing to bet thoes places are in the Navi and driving on california's freeways can be a little nerve racking. it will be nice to have the navigation tell us our way and direct us through traffic jams and get us where we want to go with little fuss.

------------------
formerly 98 prelude type SH

Currently 2001 Acura 3.2 TL With Navigation Black/Ebony
Old 03-22-2001, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

wow! i like to meet a spontaneous wife like that.
Old 03-22-2001, 10:32 AM
tea elle

Hey Prelude,

I really liked your story about you and your wife. That's so cool...you guys just get in the car and go! Not to mention the fact that she likes amusement parks...sounds like a great marriage!

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-22-2001, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

The reason why I didn't was because 1, I'm going to put a metal tint on the car, can't do that with the Navi. 2, I've got a Casio E125 and I'm just going to buy the GPS for that probably and it's only $200 instead of $2000 and it's software is easily upgradeable and is has free upgrades. Maybe I'll get it with my next Acura.
Old 03-22-2001, 10:52 AM

I can't help but believe that with the way technology is going, this NAVI tool is going to be very cheap some day.
It's like paying $2,000 for a 486 computer when they first came out. Now with the advancements in the computer, the 486 ain't worth squat.
The depreciation on the NAVI alone will outpace the depreciation for the car.
I don't think it's smart for the long haul money wise.
Old 03-22-2001, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you keep the car for along time the Nav will still be of some use.The ATMs, may move but Hospitals Schools & City Gov Buildings stay put. Interstates don't change that much except new interchanges & exits. Most Amusement Parks like Disney World & Land don't pick up & move away. Peoples houses don't move my house is over 80yrs old in this city. In citys or towns the streets will still be there.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 03-22-2001, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Exclamation

I didn't get it because I wanted to leave my options open for audio upgrades later.I like alpine monitors alot more than acura.
Old 03-22-2001, 12:44 PM
Instructor

i wanted to get the navi...i love gadgets! i have a '99 TL which i knew would have the cd-rom navi (coincidentally, only covered the east coast) and that the '00 TL navi would be the DVD version, and that covered the whole US, so i would've been pretty upset because of that. i think they are great, even if you don't use them as much
Old 03-22-2001, 12:53 PM
Racer

I looked at the navi but I pretty much know my way around the town and I didn't feel I need to spend an extra 1500-2000 for something I wouldn't use

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by deez3.2TLny on March 22, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-22-2001, 01:17 PM

I looked at Navi, but 1) I liked the way the dash looked w/o the Navi screen 2) I thought $2000 was too much for a toy I wouldn't use that much and 3) You can get directions to places easily (i.e. mapquest) and Gas Stations and the like are never hard to come by in truth.

It's a neat toy, but as I said I wouldn't use it once the novelity wore off. But if you like it, more power to you, enjoy it!
Old 03-22-2001, 01:52 PM
Advanced

Why do you need it if its not always accurate., it may take you the longer route, etc.....besides thomas guides work just as well and it costs much less.
Old 03-22-2001, 02:22 PM
Pro

It's pretty convenient when you got cheap friends in the car that say" i have to go to the bank but don't know where one is" so I find one for them !!! hahahaha
Old 03-22-2001, 02:29 PM
Racer

Talking

I didn't get Navi cause it's extra $2k of something I will not use. Second, I got realy attached to my maps collection

------------------
2000 TL Pearl White w\o nav
1991 Volvo 940 Turbo Traded

"Just Shut Up and Enjoy the Ride"
Old 03-22-2001, 02:45 PM

why didnt i get it? cuz i am a stupid stupid fool.
Old 03-22-2001, 02:51 PM

Naturally the streets etc aren't going to move.
My point was that the price to include a NAVI is going to come down as the technology gets better and better. You'll pay $2,000 for NAVI now when it'll cost $1,000 down the road.
Your $2,000 is going to depreciate very fast.
Old 03-22-2001, 03:49 PM
Racer

Originally posted by tea elle:
Hey Prelude,

I really liked your story about you and your wife. That's so cool...you guys just get in the car and go! Not to mention the fact that she likes amusement parks...sounds like a great marriage!

Yea it is really cool try it sometime we talked about this oddly enough yesterday. we were talking about waiting till summer then i asked her when the kids are out of school for spring break cause i could sure use a vacation. turns out that today is the first day of a week out of school and i said lets leave friday (tomorrow) but then i remembered that i have an appt to get my wisdom teeth pulled next thursday we wanted to take a week this time. some of our other trips were to the 4 corners area, mount rushmore (cause i never been there) salt lake city Utah because we both enjoy racing R/C cars and we wanted to go see a track out there. yea i guess i have a great wife and thanks for the compliment. i guess i got lucky i met her on AOL and she was 24 at the time never so much as kissed another guy. she is a blond hair blue eye'd gal. i knew i had a keeper the moment i met her. she still doesnt understand why it is so necessary to race people but after all she is a woman what do you expect?

------------------

Old 03-22-2001, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

That's like saying you won't buy the 486 computer when that's the only thing available back in the early 90's. I'll wait another 10 years to get a cheaper faster computer. That's bull.

It's a good point when all of you that don't have the navi say you know your way around town. But what happens when you leave town? Now your lost. and you didn't go to mapquest b/c you forgot to print it out or you ran out of ink.

For those who says that can't afford it. That's also bull b/c you are already spending 28K+ for your car what's another 2K, an extra $20 a month?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi Black ext. Ebony int., Sunroof Visor,
35% Smoke Metallic Tint, Burlwood Shiftknob, Alpine CHM-S620 6-disc cd-changer

Coming soon...
Video in my Navi Kit. & Playstation 2
New Paint Job
JL Audio 12w6 Sub. & Audiobahn A1800E Amp.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:20 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by bdimc2001:
That's like saying you won't buy the 486 computer when that's the only thing available back in the early 90's. I'll wait another 10 years to get a cheaper faster computer. That's bull.

It's a good point when all of you that don't have the navi say you know your way around town. But what happens when you leave town? Now your lost. and you didn't go to mapquest b/c you forgot to print it out or you ran out of ink.

For those who says that can't afford it. That's also bull b/c you are already spending 28K+ for your car what's another 2K, an extra $20 a month?

Ditto!
Old 03-22-2001, 08:20 PM
Pro

cuz I am cheap
Old 03-22-2001, 11:27 PM
Racer

ditto you hit the nail on the head.. we all try to justify to ourselves why we made a bad choice and dident do somthing because we were to cheap or tried to save money.
when i had my prelude type SH i cant tell you how many times i used to hear people tell me that they dident think the SH was worth the extra 3 grand. they would always say that it was slower than the base model and that they dident think the ATTS was worth having while everyone who had the SH model would say they woulden't have it any other way. i used to talk trash about the head lights and the color of the illumination on the dash of the prelude before i could afford one. funny how when you have the cash to get what you want it's hard to find things you dislike or feel you dont need. but when you are barely able to make the payment on a base model you just say you really dident need the extra gadgets even though you would take them if they were free.

------------------

Quick Reply: why didn't you get navi for your car