AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Wheel bearing issue (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/wheel-bearing-issue-978601/)

Acuratl3535 06-06-2018 09:06 PM

Type of wheel bearings

I need new wheel bearing. What aftermarket brand are good and if you buy a wheel hub does the bearing come installed? Any help on this matter would be great. Thank you

MBP 03 06-07-2018 10:01 AM

I've had very good luck with Timken bearings over the years.

If you are looking to replace a front bearing, those do not come as a hub/bearing assembly and the bearing must be pressed onto the old hub or a new hub. The rear bearing and hub are purchased as an assembly.

Darksyne 06-07-2018 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Acuratl3535 (Post 16245294)
I need new wheel bearing. What aftermarket brand are good and if you buy a wheel hub does the bearing come installed? Any help on this matter would be great. Thank you

Front wheel bearings are just the bearings themselves that need to be pressed in. IDK what Honda uses for their OEM bearings but they're pretty damn good if you want to go with them. Otherwise if you went aftermarket then the only brands I recommend are SKF, Timken or National Bearings.

The rears are hub assembly's so you'll be fine with Moog or SKF hub assembly's but if you are on a budget then the only budget friendly one that I'd take a chance with is Mevotech.

Acuratl3535 06-07-2018 10:44 AM

Very interesting, why is it that only the rears come as an assembly? I need the fronts, I’m on a budget. Am I better off changing the hub and bearing or just bearing? Tha ks

MBP 03 06-07-2018 10:55 AM

No need to replace the front hub unless it's physically damaged.

Darksyne 06-07-2018 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by MBP 03 (Post 16245546)
No need to replace the front hub unless it's physically damaged.

Exactly, otherwise it's fairly expensive to replace.

comet24 06-07-2018 04:19 PM

Did this a few months ago. Had one front bearing making a lot of noise so it had to be replaced.

Timken seems to be the goto for these cars and is what I used. Used this tool and an airgun to remove and replace the bearing. It's doable in a few hours if your comfortable working on cars. It is a slight PIA.

Needed a large breaker bar and long pipe(5') to extend the breaker bar to remove the axle nut.

Acuratl3535 06-07-2018 11:54 PM

I’ve seen a bunch of videos of people replacing their wheel bearings. Seems like it’s a tough job and you need some tools to get them in and out. And being in New York there’s a ton of rusted bolts on my car smh. It looks a lot easier on YouTube just like everything g else lol....

Acuratl3535 11-07-2018 01:15 PM

Acura TL wheel bearing

hi all, I have a 2003 Acura TL that need a front pass wheel bearing replacement. Which brand is oem? I’ve heard Timken and hsk. Any help in this matter would be great. Thanks

Skirmich 11-07-2018 03:44 PM

NSK is OEM.
You can use NATIONAL or TIMKEN with no issues, My replacements NATIONAL´s have been working just fine.

Acuratl3535 11-09-2018 01:02 PM

2nd gen wheel bearing

hi all, I have a 2003 Acura TL. I’m finally getting around to do my front pass wheel bearing. It’s been screwed up for a while and someone told me the longer you ride on it the worst it’s gunna get to take out. Is this true? I was gunna try and get one of those press kits and see if I could get it out and if I can’t I will bring the knuckle to a shop. Also I get a squeeek when I accelate from a complete stop. This is prob the cause of not getting the bearing fixed earlier. How can I test components and see where noise is coming from ? Thank you

thoiboi 11-09-2018 01:03 PM

You already had a thread open from two days ago.. no need to open a new one...

Acuratl3535 11-10-2018 12:11 PM

Which cars have the exact same setup as the 2nd gen tl”s?

sysuleman 11-11-2018 04:29 PM

Jacking this thread while we're on the subject. I've got a 1999 Acura TL with 230k miles. Front driver's side was making a the periodic (wheel speed based not engine speed based) rubbing noise whenever I'd press the accelerator. Went ahead and replaced the bearing with an OEM from oemacuraparts.com. The sound went away for a couple hundred miles or so and now is back. I couldn't believe my ears so I jacked up just one wheel and secured with a jack stand, turned off TCS and put the car in drive and confirmed that it's indeed the front driver's side bearing making the noise again. My questions are:
  1. Is there something I could've screwed up during this repair? One thing that comes to mind is I didn't torque the driveshaft nut all the way to spec - got within 10% because I had just stripped the threads inside the caliper bracket by torquing to spec and didn't want to go down that road with the axle so was being gentle. Used a press so shouldn't have destroyed the bearing on the install although maybe I could've tried harder to make sure everything was exactly lined up in the press before applying force - might've been a few degrees off but not much. I should mention that this was my first time using a hydraulic press.
  2. Is there something that is causing the bearing to go out? The upper ball joint seems to be in bad shape - didn't even need to separate it to get it loose. I've also seen other threads where instead of mucking around with a bearing here and a strut there guys will replace the whole front end; control arms, links, springs etc all at once. Is it because there's so much in there that's shot after 20 years that you might as well replace all or nothing. I also suspect that the other 3 bearing are worn as well. Oh well.
  3. Could this new noise not be a bearing? For me what points to the bearing is the increase in volume when I hit the accelerator. Also it sounds almost exactly the same as before. I've checked the dust shield - that was making an awful scraping noise which I fixed immediately by bending the thing back a little. Could it be the axle itself? Had that replaced two years ago. Something inside the transmission?
Any ideas are appreciated. I don't mind re-doing the repair as log as I figure out what I did wrong so I don't repeat it. Happy to start a new thread if the mods would prefer. Thanks!

-Sohail

Acuratl3535 03-26-2019 07:01 PM

Front end noise

Hi all, I have a 2003 Acura TL. I noticed whenever I accelerate from say a red light/stop sign I hear a screech... it only does it when I accelerate, never over bumps or Turning..I thought it might be the stab links but now I think it’s something else. Anybody have any ideas? Thank you

thoiboi 03-26-2019 07:02 PM

could be brakes

got a video of the sound?

Acuratl3535 03-27-2019 02:18 PM

I tried uploading the video but it was only 6 secs long but the file was too large to upload to here. I will try YouTube

Acuratl3535 03-27-2019 02:41 PM

whitetiger5 03-27-2019 08:46 PM

it sounds like something happening during the upshift. Why is the TCS light on?

bbsitum 03-28-2019 03:23 PM

Most likely bearing. I would check ball joints to be sure they are good, specially lower one, and just wait till noise become stronger.

Acuratl3535 03-28-2019 06:31 PM

I just fixed a bearing a few days ago. I now think it’s the engine mounts but going to take it in to mechanic. When I held brake and press accelator the engine jumps a bit more then it should but we shall see.

Acuratl3535 04-08-2019 11:18 AM

Wheel bearing issue

I installed a new front wheel bearing about a week ago and all was good. Then I heard a ticking noise, as the wheel spins faster I hear the noise more. I noticed the tire and rotor when up in the air has a lot of movement. I didn’t have a torque wrench that went up to 187 ft lbs so I just torque with my impact. If it’s on too loose could that be causeing a issue?

thoiboi 04-08-2019 11:21 AM

Merged all your old threads together.. :doh:

Sounds more like a failed ball joint or something if it's up in the air and there's movement..

whitetiger5 04-08-2019 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Acuratl3535 (Post 16408701)
I installed a new front wheel bearing about a week ago and all was good. Then I heard a ticking noise, as the wheel spins faster I hear the noise more. I noticed the tire and rotor when up in the air has a lot of movement. I didn’t have a torque wrench that went up to 187 ft lbs so I just torque with my impact. If it’s on too loose could that be causeing a issue?

Did you install the wheel bearing in the correct direction? I could be wrong but i believe I saw that it needs to go in a specific way...

Memobambino 09-14-2023 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Acuratl3535 (Post 16328126)
hi all, I have a 2003 Acura TL that need a front pass wheel bearing replacement. Which brand is oem? I’ve heard Timken and hsk. Any help in this matter would be great. Thanks

HONDA uses NSK bearings.