What happened to Acura quality and reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to Acura quality and reliability?

I own a 2003 TLS and I've never had so many problems with less than 50,000 miles on the car. Already I've had to:
-Replace the rotors 4 times
-Constant squeky sunroof
-Constant squeky drivers seat
-I just took my car in to get the tranny replaced because the transmission kept slipping
-Above normal road noise, the Accord rental they gave me has less road noise than my TLS

I have a Legend with 170,000 miles on it and it still runs strong with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. This is my last Acura I ever buy.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Banned

sorry to hear that, im happy as can be
Old 03-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Missing my Acura's

sounds like ya just like me a lil anal when it comes to ya car . But thats normal ya always gonna have a problem with ya car no matter what ya drive as long as they fix it or address it everytime they are suppose to I dont see why ya would leave the acura family over a few minor things I guess ya should be happy ya dont drive an american car and then see how many problems ya have and have fun with there short waranties
Old 03-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
That sucks.. I have an '02 TL-S and the only issues I have (although only have 27k on it) had are the squeeky sunroof and a rattle in the dash that only seems to occur at certain temps. The sunroof was easy to stop. I just wiped some silicone spray around the whole perimeter of the rubber and it stops for a long time.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Banned

I have a 99. Nothing has gone bad. Nothing.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=Mr. Bo Jangles]I own a 2003 TLS and I've never had so many problems with less than 50,000 miles on the car. Already I've had to:
-Constant squeky sunroof
-I just took my car in to get the tranny replaced because the transmission kept slipping
-QUOTE]

under 50k and the brakes done 4 times qualifies you for the lemon law if your not happy with the TL start the paperwork.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by REDLINEN
sounds like ya just like me a lil anal when it comes to ya car . But thats normal ya always gonna have a problem with ya car no matter what ya drive as long as they fix it or address it everytime they are suppose to I dont see why ya would leave the acura family over a few minor things I guess ya should be happy ya dont drive an american car and then see how many problems ya have and have fun with there short waranties
gotta love that boston accent
Old 03-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
UM, ill answer that for you... MADE IN AMERICA!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
[QUOTE=AcuraTl203]
Originally Posted by Mr. Bo Jangles
I own a 2003 TLS and I've never had so many problems with less than 50,000 miles on the car. Already I've had to:
-Constant squeky sunroof
-QUOTE]

under 50k and the brakes done 4 times qualifies you for the lemon law if your not happy with the TL start the paperwork.

No way Acura is gonna lemon law a car because of warped rotors. Best of luck trying to sell that one.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
-Constant squeky sunroof
-Above normal road noise, the Accord rental they gave me has less road noise than my TLS

I have a Legend with 170,000 miles on it and it still runs strong with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. This is my last Acura I ever buy.
I would assume that was all taken care of under warranty? If so, whats the big deal?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Banned

go and complain to the dealer, are call honda customer service, i know id be extremely annoyed if i just paid all that money for a car thats having that many problems
Old 03-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ou sig
I would assume that was all taken care of under warranty? If so, whats the big deal?
The big deal is that it's a car I bought because I thought it was RELIABLE. The big deal is that I have to take time out of my day and miss work to take my car to the dealership everytime something screws up. How would you like to sit at the car dealer all day long for 4 different times that your rotors went bad?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 55M2G7L
go and complain to the dealer, are call honda customer service, i know id be extremely annoyed if i just paid all that money for a car thats having that many problems
I wouldn't expect that they would do anything for my troubles. Could you imagine if my tranny wasn't covered under the warranty. I'd be really pissed. What happens if it goes out again after my warranty. I'm stuck in this damn lease until November.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I wasnt really clear... my bad. You are right to be annoyed about missed work/personal time to get those things fixed. But dont you think you would have clued it after the 3rd time to replace the rotors - that they will do it again? The stock rotors are shit basically. You could get some good aftermarket rotors (Brembo blanks or Rotora rotors for not much and never have to worry about the rotors again). Heck you may be able to get Acura to take some of the cost of the new ones. The other things you mentioned (other than the tranny) are just something that you have to deal with with a newer car it seems like. When my parents got their Camry new in '96, they were at Toyota many times for random things, and the same thing with their '02 Avalon. Dont think that BMW owners arent in the shop more than you lots of the time - overall Acura makes high quality cars for very reasonable prices. Nothing is perfect
Old 03-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
I wouldn't expect that they would do anything for my troubles. Could you imagine if my tranny wasn't covered under the warranty. I'd be really pissed. What happens if it goes out again after my warranty. I'm stuck in this damn lease until November.
I can feel your pain! Although you can at least hand it back over at the end of your lease. I own mine and have been kicking around the idea of selling it soon, or wait a couple of years or who knows. I really like the car otherwise. I have not had tranny problems yet, but I'm sure I'll be soon. I have changed the fluid twice now (in 27k), and the last time it was not near as red as it should have been..
You are correct though, I think Honda/Acura had better quality overall about 10-15 yrs ago. All the early '90's Accords and Acuras I have had or worked on were just well made and put together vehicles. You never had squeeks and rattles and things like that. That was the first surprise I had when my dashboard started to make noise at 15k miles- Man the Accords and Integras and Vigor and Legends I have had never did that...
Old 03-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

. How would you like to sit at the car dealer all day long for 4 different times that your rotors went bad?
well id say you wasted your own time if you SAT at the dealer the whole day instead of asking for a loaner.

No car is perfect. my friend has had is lexus in the shop more times than my moon roof has rattled. my neighbors 2003 bmw has had more issues (2 engines and 2 trannies). if a rattel and brakes are yyour only major issue. thats not bad.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
well id say you wasted your own time if you SAT at the dealer the whole day instead of asking for a loaner.

No car is perfect. my friend has had is lexus in the shop more times than my moon roof has rattled. my neighbors 2003 bmw has had more issues (2 engines and 2 trannies). if a rattel and brakes are yyour only major issue. thats not bad.
If a tranny goes out on a car that has less than 50,000 miles on it that is bad in my opinion. I asked for a loaner when waiting for my car but they never had any according to them so they basically wasted my whole day.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Comptech Freak

my car is flawless, touchwood
Old 03-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Well.. I've got about the same amount of problems if not more. I love my car and still wouldn't trade it. Those problems have just become second nature. But I think all I get out of my car evens out all the bad things, which really isn't a lot. Still... I'll drive this one into the ground.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:43 PM
6th Gear

My 2003 TLS had 45,000 miles on it. The rotors and pads have been replaced twice under warranty so that doesnt bother me. The drivers heated seat went out twice and the sunroof does squeek sometimes. I just put new tires on the car it drives like it did when it was new, its rock solid and a great car. I would buy another one without hesitation.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Hmm...Is that right??

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
UM, ill answer that for you... MADE IN AMERICA!

Old 03-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Future JDM Whore

my seat squeaks to i kno how you feel its so dam annoying and makes the car sound cheap
Old 03-07-2005, 07:43 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a 99 with 102k no problems at all. Only maintainence and tires and some mods too. Car runs better than ever and tranny still shifts flawlessly. Interior and exterior are near showroom quality still. Best car I have ever owned and I will drive an Acura or maybe a Lexus one time only for the rest of my life. Sorry guys I love the RX330, may get one soon.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Honda, Acura are #2 and #3.

Read the link on Consumer reports most reliable cars of 2004. Honda is #2 and Acura #3.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7119227/

Every manufacturer has its problems, especially when they take on new technologies like a 5 speed Auto Stick tranny and different, more powerful engine set ups, etc. They only had that setup/design for a few years and it took it a while for the weakness in the design to come to the front. They have extended the warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles, how many other car companies will warranty their product for that long? I think they will have a permanent solution/fix for us in the near future. As far as rotors getting warped, I had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had the rotors replace at 12,000, 24,000 and 36,000 miles. I traded that piece of American shit in for my 2002 Nissan Maxima SE and never looked back. I can't imagine what American car I'd buy when I'm in the market again, a $45,000 Corvette isn't practical to carry my wife and 2 kids, a $50,000 Caddy DTS or STS is a little pricey or the $45,000 Chrysler 300 C is too much for my budget. I'll buy a $30,000 Acura and pocket the $20,000 and go on several vacations, put some money in my kids' college funds, pay down on my mortgage and still have money left over to buy a cup of coffee for those folks waiting for their $50,000 Caddy to get off the rack at the dealers shop. To get a "quality" American car you have to spend BIG bucks and they still have more problems than any Honda product. Toyota and Lexus are on par with Honda so you can't go wrong there either. But to say that Honda isn't a quality vehicle-- that's just not the case.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:54 PM
BOSOX FAN IN SUNNY FL

If a tranny goes out on a car that has less than 50,000 miles on it that is bad in my opinion. I asked for a loaner when waiting for my car but they never had any according to them so they basically wasted my whole day.
They won't have loaners sitting around for you unless you already made an appointment and told them you want a loaner. Most luxury car dealerships will have a rental car agent on the premises that will be able to scrounge up a car from somewhere for you. It won't be nearly as nice as the dealership loaners, but it gets you out of the dealership with little wasted time. You should press them on this issue.
A tranny going out at 50,000 is bad, but at least they're covered until 100,000. My brother had a 91' Maxima whose tranny went out at 60,000, but the warranty was over, so he was SOL.
My sunroof squeeks too, but only when I have the inside cover pulled back. It might be a design flaw, because my wife has a 00' Accord EX V6 and the sunroof has the same problem.
My rotors warped at 15,000 miles, but my dealership said it's wear item, so I had to pay for the resurfacing. At least they covered yours.
I'm sorry to hear that this is going to be your last Acura. I have found my 02' TL-S to be extremely satisfying. From my experiences, though, I found my Honda cars to be more reliable than my Acura cars. Customer service has been much better at the Acura dealerships, but that's what you expect.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Intermediate

For the squeeky sunroof, my dealer added a silicon tape along the edge of the window and I haven't had a problem in almost 4 years.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

this is so true, and i dont care what anyone says.
about what fsttyms1 said. "MADE IN AMERICA". i cant stand any american cars.

to my mistake i did not do much homework on the tl before buying one. cause i loved the way it looked. i had a 2000 prelude and i had absolutely no problems with that car. the car was soild no noises and no obnoxious engine,ride or whatever noise.
i treat the tl like 60% better than the prelude. And my tl-s has sunroof noise (fixed 2 times alread), engine clicking noise when accelerating from a stop,oh yea dont forget the tranny aacting weird at times, driver side power window electrical noise, headliner noise,driver side window noise(sounds like the window and the door isnt air tight) on the freeway you hear noise comming from a part of the window. the rear view mirror fell off once. and thats all i cant think of now. The car is a 2003 tls with about 30,000 miles for god sakes.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by Comet2404
Well.. I've got about the same amount of problems if not more. I love my car and still wouldn't trade it. Those problems have just become second nature. But I think all I get out of my car evens out all the bad things, which really isn't a lot. Still... I'll drive this one into the ground.
Hey , Comet 2404 , I see that in your SIG. you list your Ack as a Canadian Model , what 's the difference between a Can. and a AM. My car was built in Ohio and I thought all Acks were built there.
Cheers,
Seahawk
Old 03-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by seahawk
Hey , Comet 2404 , I see that in your SIG. you list your Ack as a Canadian Model , what 's the difference between a Can. and a AM. My car was built in Ohio and I thought all Acks were built there.
Cheers,
Seahawk
they are all made here