Weird tachometer bounce..

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weird tachometer bounce..

2002 TL Type S auto... Typical tranny hard shifts but drives normal and only acts up once in a while.... Looking into a AV6 swap.

My issue now is every time the car shifts gear and reaches the rpm to match the gear then returning to it normal state there are like 2 rpm bounces then it settles... It also happens when I'm coming to a stop.. I'm in two minds if its throttle related or my gauge is going bad.

NO CEL for that issue... Idles normal at 750 when warm.. Coil pack #2 was changed last year with random misfire codes but drove normal after

Any body knows what this could be...
Old 08-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Probably just the tranny slipping.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay.. I accept that answer . But if I'm cruising 45 mph and it bounces if I brake briefly still could be tranny? I only ask because it's similar to my civic that had bad IACV but I don't have erractic idle on this.

I know these trannies highly vulnerable... There's just the slightest of times especially if its very hot I will get that stuck in neutral thing ... Thankfully I don't drive it on highways and I can pull off on the shoulder and start again... I'm saving up for the swap or a different vehicle so I hope I can bide on time.

One thing that concerns me is my mom took it for a transmission fluid change at Jiffy Lube in 2016... I have no clue what brand or type fluid they used. She said they told her they used an equivalent.. 'm guessing Dexron. Because I didn't thing much of it till recently. I bought HONDA genuine DW-1 but scared it may make issues worse if I change it.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
If you really think they didn't use Honda fluid immediately go out and buy 9 qts of Honda tranny fluid.

Do the 3x3 drain to try to get all the Dexron fluid out. Hopefully it's not too late.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
If you really think they didn't use Honda fluid immediately go out and buy 9 qts of Honda tranny fluid.

Do the 3x3 drain to try to get all the Dexron fluid out. Hopefully it's not too late.
IMO: Ditto on NSXNEXT's suggestion. Per the Owners manual, " Dexron lll is usable, as a temporary alternative to Honda Z1 ", but should be exchanged with Honda fluid " as soon as convenient", as Dexron may impact shift quality!