Weird stock alarm/lock behavior? 99 TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird stock alarm/lock behavior? 99 TL

For some reason when I press unlock on the control the lights blink but the doors are not unlocking, I have to use key.

Then when I go to lock it won't lock, light up or make beeping noise. Once I LOCK with the key though itll beep and light up.

anyone have any idea for where to begin to get to the root of the issue?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 PM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeroskillet
For some reason when I press unlock on the control the lights blink but the doors are not unlocking, I have to use key.

Then when I go to lock it won't lock, light up or make beeping noise. Once I LOCK with the key though itll beep and light up.

anyone have any idea for where to begin to get to the root of the issue?
Does the key reminder beeper sound with the door open and the key OUT of the ignition?

It honestly sounds to me like the drivers door lock switch inside inside the door latch assembly might be bad. This switch is not like the "door ajar switch", it informs the keyless entry system (Door Multiplex Control Unit or DMCU) if the door was either unlocked using the key inside the door lock cylinder to deactivate the alarm before the door is opened and also sends a signal to the module when drivers door has been shut enabling the both systems (keyless entry/alarm) to work properly. That explains why it begins to work when the switch inside the latch is opened by manually turned by using the key to unlock the door.

Do you have any technical skills at all and if so, are you capable of removing the drivers door panel to gain access to the door latch assembly? I could explain how to jump specific colored wires in order to pinpoint the issue. Otherwise, the only other way to diagnose the issue without removing the door panel would be by using a diagnostic scanner that's capable of communicating with the DMCU to view a module data stream to view system information and determine the switch or circuit responsible for the symptom.

Let me know!