Video from Trackday at Thunderhill!

Old 08-24-2015, 03:51 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Video from Trackday at Thunderhill!

Hey AZ! I went to Thunderhill Raceway Park with my car on Friday. I recorded the whole session and my friend edited my video to show my best lap out of all the sessions.

https://youtu.be/96WDaydeD1I

Description of what I have on my car and the details are on YouTube! Thanks for watching!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:09 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Nice run man!!! That was some really good lines and consistency.
If I am allowed I suggest the following:

1.- Judging from the video Alone I would think you aren´t running any sway bars? Because I think you lowered the car but the spring rates aren´t Race Ready more likely for Street Use and that´s why there is fender/bumper scrape in the High Speed corners. So Installing the Eibach Sway Bars is a must if you would like to continue doing these runs on those springs.

2.- Reversing the SS shift gate.. I noticed you are upshifting using the stock UP Motion which is fairly awkward while driving at speed, Use the Fatty guide to reverse the Up/Down shifting while using SS will make your AT Shifting way more comfortable.

3.- POWAH! You need the headers man!! those uphills where painfully slow, considering the second gear pulls.

4.- Brake Pads.. You could possibly reduce your braking length if you use Track Pads for these runs.. EBC Yellowstuff comes in mind? I know you were probably using your DD setup but that's food for thought.. The Yellowstuffs will last you more than enough laps in a trackday.

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-24-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:54 AM
Advanced

I am not running any aftermarket swaybars. Spring rates are for everyday usage, it handles bumps great. We actually rolled my rear fenders and cut out tabs the day before I left. I will be running Eibach sway bars but I have to save up more lol.

Switching the up and down shifting seems like a good idea. I would like to keep my engine stock. 260hp is good enough for me haha.

Me and a couple buddies installed the Hawk pads two nights prior and I broke them in. They are for track and autocross use and they have a really good bite. These pads aren't my DD setup.

It was a good test run with this car and I loved pushing it but I might end up buying a BMW E36 just for track days because of their really good chassis. The TL might go to one last track day at Buttonwillow.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:04 AM
Advanced

Here is the full video of the session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c-c...ature=youtu.be

I wrote some notes about parts in the video with the time stamp as well
Old 08-24-2015, 03:43 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
The TL is no slowpoke and with a proper tune-up? I can overtake an E36 with no issues unless its an M3.. The power to weight ratio of the M3 is just plain insane on that thing, No way in hell to keep up even with all bolt-ons on the J32A2.

The stock E36 though? Gets destroyed by the TLS.
Although in favor of the E36 I must said the TLS is harder to control and to drive at high speed than a E36.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:18 AM
Advanced

TLs have a lot of power, but the main reason why I'm getting an E36 is because it's RWD. I have been wanting an S13 for the longest time but ever since I've been hanging out with my racing group, they somehow convinced me to get an E36. Although there is that slight possibility of me getting an S13 coupe, I think the E36 just kinda captured my attention. Both have great aftermarket support, but S13s are getting harder to find especially since the drift craze.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Which Hawk Pads were you running? HPS? or do they have something new?

We talked a bit before your track day- how was it compared to expectations?
Do you suggest it for everyone to gain valuable driving skills?

reminder (paraphrasing another ziner)
A Track Day habit will make Crack Addiction look like sound financial planning
Old 08-26-2015, 03:19 AM
Advanced

I was running Hawk HP+ which were their pads for track and autocross. THEY'RE REALLY FREAKING GOOD.

Since it was my first time for track day, I was just getting a feel for everything and trying to getting a sense of how to drive before really pushing it. A friend emphasized that I shouldn't be thinking about time at all and I was glad that I didn't. I was expecting to get somewhere in the 2:28-2:30s but never under 2:25.

Session 3 best time was 2:38.xxx
Session 4 best time was 2:34.xxx
Session 5 best time was 2:23.1xx.

After reviewing my video several times, I could pinpoint where I could have improved and taken some of my lines differently. If I had driven my absolute best and done everything right, I think I can hit 2:20 with my current set up.

Track day was the best day of my life and I will definitely go again next year when my car is better set up.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
that's good to hear! Many organizations and car clubs rent the track during the week,
ck track schedule of use for more info- or the TH office knows!
Most clubs are happy to have another entry- reduces their overall cost.
Some offer pro racers as in-car coaches, grab one whenever you can.
Instant corrections before the corner will bring your times down and smoothness up.
Practice finding the line everywhere on the street- its tougher to do at 25 than at 70 when centrifugal force shoves the car out to the exit
Pick your own brake, turn in, apex and exit points- and practice practice practice,
make a left at Carnegie Hall~
The following users liked this post:
JayHTea (09-03-2015)