Ugh - am I in for a trip to the dealer? VSA and ! on no traction in snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:15 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ugh - am I in for a trip to the dealer? VSA and ! on no traction in snow

VSA and ! stay on. Brakes work fine in regular driving conditions however in snow, my 03 TLS can barely stop from even 10mph. Just hear the grinding noise like abs is trying to work and pulsating pedal but no stopping. I also cannot get traction to save my life in the snow now even trying to baby the pedal going 5 mph. I bought a portable dealer scanner with acura/honda software preloaded on ebay and got these codes.

Fault/4 Abs/Tcs/VSA

25-1 Permanent dtc yaw rate sensor failure.

64-1 Sensor supply voltage failure

83-1 Ecm/Pcm relocation failure

97-1 sub throttle motor failure

under a new tab labeled control unit, i got this error.

Abs/VSA control unit will quit communication above 30mph.

No transmission issues whatsoever (av6). Am I destined for an expensive dealer trip with these symptoms or since I have the software I can take it to a mechanic and let them use my dealer scanner that can erase all codes?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:18 PM
Advanced

I figure there's no point in erasing the codes because with my snow driving symptoms -- there seems to be a mechanical issue beyond warning lights glitching.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:25 PM
Advanced

Just found this doing general research -- Basically describing my symptoms to the letter. How do I find out which sensor is bad or should I just replace them all?

Symptoms of a Bad or Failing ABS Speed Sensor

Common signs include the ABS Light coming on, decreased stopping time, and less stability under icy or wet driving conditions.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 12-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
With the 64-1 and 83-1, it sounds more like a battery issue..
Old 12-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but even with those two lights on, I would think you would have whatever traction your tires are capable of. Why do I think this? I had an ABS sensor go out on my 2001 Accord and caused part of the dash to light up like a Christmas tree, even still, the car drove perfectly well in the snow.

I'm thinking in addition to the fault(s) your car is reporting, you may also have tires which don't provide much traction in inclement weather.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Update - tested all speed sensors while driving using live data. All work the way they should and display my actual speed when driving. I tested the battery voltage while driving and it's between 12.5 and 14 volts. Tested yaw sensor and it is responding getting different metrics so it does appear to be functioning. Cleared codes (vsa and ! remain on) and the only code that appears now is 97-1 sub throttle motor failure, permanent dtc. My tires are nearly bald so I'm sure this is also a factor as you guys have mentioned to which I'll be replacing them on Monday. Any thoughts on what to test now? I want to learn what mechanics do so am interested in troubleshooting this for a few more days before giving up.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:14 PM
Advanced

I've driven on bald tires before and my current loss of traction isn't similar. I'm now leaning towards yaw rate stability sensor now given my speed sensors all work and the odd braking behavior in snow. My scanner puts my yaw rate sensor at 100.58 /s if that means anything.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Maybe it's just me, but even with those two lights on, I would think you would have whatever traction your tires are capable of. Why do I think this? I had an ABS sensor go out on my 2001 Accord and caused part of the dash to light up like a Christmas tree, even still, the car drove perfectly well in the snow.

I'm thinking in addition to the fault(s) your car is reporting, you may also have tires which don't provide much traction in inclement weather.
True in my case. I have both that light on and I have no problem driving in snow beside regular like in other cars. Only once I had "no traction in snow" problem in my old toyota corrola rear wheel drive without rear brakes working.