The Type S is sweet stock!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Type S is sweet stock!

Hey Acurazine! Alright so I needed a nice daily driver to take me to and from work and just to have as a great reliable comfy get around Car. As a carguy, theirs not many cars that'll do it for me. But the second gen Type-S is one of them that will! Found one who was owned by a guy who drove like an old lady and respected the car. 173K mint black interior, strong engine and what feels like a mint transmission. Car was fully stock and boy I love it the more I drive it. Some background on me. I've owned the 3rd gen TL before I could afford my E46 M3. Have the M3 now. Full bolt ons. Owned big V8 Bimmers... and this 3.2 V6 moves! First week of owner ship it was 90 degrees, last night it dropped down to 60 and boy I felt the difference! So going to pull the trigger on the AEM CAI. The V2. Also want to go with Comptech Headers, and the comptech titanium strut bar. Now question to all the OG owners with these mods, how's he reliability been? Thanks for reading, and cheers.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Awesome choice! Reliability is great as long as you're on time with the maintenance. I've had mine for a little over 2 years and I've only had a few hiccups with it, but nothing too major. I took it to a trusted shop and got a MAJOR tune up (water pump, valve adjustment, timing belt, all fluid flushed) and it runs like new. Just keep in mind that there is the infamous transmission problem which comes with this model. But ultimately, it's a good car! Congrats on your TL!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:21 AM
its actually tan

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
they are great car for sure but like the guy above me said the trans tends to go out. i bought a similar shape tl with minor damage and what seemed like a great motor and trans and both went out but hey some are lucky and some arent so lucky but after the 3rd trans swap im doing a 6mt (6 speed) trans swap in the next couple of weeks but good luck with all your tl endeavors also go check out my thread ive done quite alot to the car and have a decent amount of pic and can help with certain maintenance things haha
Old 12-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
MidoriTL how did your engine go out?
Old 12-30-2017, 10:14 AM
its actually tan

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Chojun
MidoriTL how did your engine go out?
the original one had a timing belt seize up and break a lot of sensor and some valves bent so I bought a 3.5 and swapped all the type s cams and all the supporting mods from the type s motor on it and used the stock ecu as well

Last edited by MidoriTL; 12-30-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:45 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I have two 02 TL-Ss. Beware of tranny problems both had them. Otherwise awesome cars.