Transmission/Warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission/Warranty question

Sorry if this has been answered before but I searched and didn't find exactly what I needed.

I have a problem with my 03 TL (non-navi, not Type-S).

I am the second owner of this car. Apparently about a month after I purchased it, I noticed that the transmission is a little faulty. It shifts very rough where the car starts to jerk back and forth with an increase in RPM (especially from 2nd to 3rd gear or from 4th down to 3rd again).

Also, when I put it in park after I drive, the engine gets werid. It starts to rev randomly and I can see the RPM meter go up about 1000 rpms, then down again to idle, and it does this until I turn the engine off. I have no idea what this part is. Can someone tell me.

I checked my vehicle's VIN# and it's not included in the transmission settlement. However, it seems kinda weird that although it's not covered, it still exhibits the same problems.

My question is, how did they decide which ones were covered/which ones were not? Was it just a statistical "guess".

And also, since this has the same transmission problem, can I claim the extended warranty on it or will I have to pay to get it replaced?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the extended warranty was because of a court case- acura needed a VIN to put on the paperwork so they could settle the case and get to replacing the transmissions that had over 50k miles on them when they died
There was no cure in mid 03 -04 -05- all have the same trans problem

Acura has a generous ~goodwill policy~ which the will cover most or all of the $4000 trans replacement cost for you.

Go to the dealer and speak with- this is important- THE SERVICE MANAGER not the service writer who has no authority to do anything but read from the book

Please read the last few pags of the thread titled Tranny failure
it has many stories of success on ~out of vin~ cars. In most cases a failure is determined, and a loaner car is provided before you even have to ask for the help!

What you are feeling is the clutch plates slipping- in 2nd and 3rd gear- they wear out for a number of reasons- all of which demand a replacement (rebuilt) trans under warranty

Get it in now!
this is all based on clean title- meaning not SALAVAGE title car
Old 05-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you rpm surge at idle could be another system- not trans related, or it could be an extreme trans symptom.

Being NICE to the service mananger is the important thing- tell them how much you love your acura- belong to acurazine, family loves acuras---
being mean and demanding will get you nothing- they are not obligated in any way to help you- and some members have paid far more than others... for not playing nice~
Old 05-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
you rpm surge at idle could be another system- not trans related, or it could be an extreme trans symptom.

Being NICE to the service mananger is the important thing- tell them how much you love your acura- belong to acurazine, family loves acuras---
being mean and demanding will get you nothing- they are not obligated in any way to help you- and some members have paid far more than others... for not playing nice~
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I will get on this today. And if anyone else has any info regarding this, I'd also appreciate your help.