Transmission question ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Transmission question ?!?

Hey everyone !!
Long story short it's been 10 years with my 2000 3.2TL I just hit 250 000 km, the tranny was replaced at 20 000 km when I first got it in 2007, I've read on Wikipedia that tranny replacement after march 2005 solved the majors issues so since then I've done 230 000 km without any issues ... I've never changed the tranny fluid since they replaced the tranny 10 years ago : ( and now I'm experiencing some minor judder sometimes from 2nd to 3rd gear all depending on the rpm for the rest all is smooth ... so my question is if I flush the tranny fluid after all these years can this cause even more major issues or can this be caused by something else ???
Old 05-05-2017, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Drain and fill and hope for the best . If it's dead it's dead, it's not going to be worse
Old 05-05-2017, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Drain and fill and hope for the best . If it's dead it's dead, it's not going to be worse
lol ok. ... that's kinda harsh :p!!! Doesn't feel like it's dying everything is smooth except the minor shudder that sometimes happens when shifting to third definitely dosent feel like it's dying !! Maybe the transmission mounts ?!?
Old 05-06-2017, 07:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by max4swag
lol ok. ... that's kinda harsh :p!!! Doesn't feel like it's dying everything is smooth except the minor shudder that sometimes happens when shifting to third definitely dosent feel like it's dying !! Maybe the transmission mounts ?!?
Most likely the transmission needs a drain and fill. But check the mounts also they are in view on the driver side also check your motor mounts. Sometimes somebody might think it`s tranny problem when the mounts fail.

Before you do a change in fluid did you check it?? Is it red or a darker color? After 10 years like a said it most likely needs to be changed but check those things first especially he fluid,

Our tranny`s are suspect and when I hear shudder or takes time to get in to gear it usually doesn`t go good. Let`s hope for the best.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nicks2001tl
Most likely the transmission needs a drain and fill. But check the mounts also they are in view on the driver side also check your motor mounts. Sometimes somebody might think it`s tranny problem when the mounts fail.

Before you do a change in fluid did you check it?? Is it red or a darker color? After 10 years like a said it most likely needs to be changed but check those things first especially he fluid,

Our tranny`s are suspect and when I hear shudder or takes time to get in to gear it usually doesn`t go good. Let`s hope for the best.
thanks for the reply I just checked the fluid and it's really dark in color I added a pic !!! I've read a lot about these trannys and some people changed there oil and not long after the tranny died ? Should I just empty and Addnew or really do a complete flush this will be my first time so I'm not really sure how to go about this ... thanks again !!!

Last edited by max4swag; 05-06-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Safety Car

It should be red in color. If the tranny is bad it is going to fail no matter hat you do. But, doing a 3x3 might give it a fighting chance.

Buy a case(12) from the Honda dealer, I believe you will get a better price. Run it a little than drain and when you fill make sure it is in the middle of the tranny dip stick, do that three times. Note: each drain and fill takes a little over three quarts.

Also there is a spin off filter next the fill hole that can be replaced 4/10mm screws, a little tight, but doable.

100 bucks might save you thousands.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Instructor

It should be red in color. If the tranny is bad it is going to fail no matter hat you do. But, doing a 3x3 might give it a fighting chance.

Buy a case(12) from the Honda dealer, I believe you will get a better price. Run it a little than drain and when you fill make sure it is in the middle of the tranny dip stick, do that three times. Note: each drain and fill takes a little over three quarts.

Also there is a spin off filter next the fill hole that can be replaced 4/10mm screws, a little tight, but doable.

100 bucks might save you thousands.
Great thanks that's what I'll do ... what is the specific tranny oil that I will need ?? Like i said the shuttering happens very rarely and for the rest everything is smooth considering that I have 250 000 km so this is a good idea to help prevent any other issuesi will do the 3x3 next week and inspect the mounts I will keep you posted ... thanks !!!
Old 05-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by max4swag
Great thanks that's what I'll do ... what is the specific tranny oil that I will need ?? Like i said the shuttering happens very rarely and for the rest everything is smooth considering that I have 250 000 km so this is a good idea to help prevent any other issuesi will do the 3x3 next week and inspect the mounts I will keep you posted ... thanks !!!
Very important to use the Honda fluid (Honda DW1) Amazon has 12 of them for 90 bucks right now. Good Luck!

Check back when your done.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Very important to use the Honda fluid (Honda DW1) Amazon has 12 of them for 90 bucks right now. Good Luck!

Check back when your done.
Alright !! Thanks !!