AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Transmission oil radiator cooler (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/transmission-oil-radiator-cooler-980086/)

Jacob Marin Jr 06-08-2019 09:24 AM

Transmission oil radiator cooler

Has anyone done this mod to their TL? If so, which brand would you recommend? What kind of performance have you noticed?

justnspace 06-08-2019 09:25 AM

well, if heat is the killer of all things...
adding a tranny cooler will help!!!!!! perhaps no performance increase, but your tranny will love you, as it wont die as fast.

go with whatever will fit.

Chiller2002TL 06-08-2019 09:38 AM

There's only so much we can do to protect our transmissions failing fast, but the truth behind it is it will fail eventually because of the awful design... If the oil jet kit was a flop so will any other modification. Av6 swap or not. Honda v6 automatics continiously have problems.. The engine is too powerful for the transmission and Honda only seem to think beefing up the same crappy design will solve the issue. I've seen even 4th and 5th gens having jerking,lunging and shuddering problems.

All you can do is save for the AV6 which was designed a little better and take the burden off your head once and for all.

Jacob Marin Jr 06-09-2019 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chiller2002TL (Post 16436918)
There's only so much we can do to protect our transmissions failing fast, but the truth behind it is it will fail eventually because of the awful design... If the oil jet kit was a flop so will any other modification. Av6 swap or not. Honda v6 automatics continiously have problems.. The engine is too powerful for the transmission and Honda only seem to think beefing up the same crappy design will solve the issue. I've seen even 4th and 5th gens having jerking,lunging and shuddering problems.

All you can do is save for the AV6 which was designed a little better and take the burden off your head once and for all.

I want to do this mod with the AV6 tranny swap. Have everything for it but was wondering if the cooler will prolong the life of the tranny to make it that more reliable.

Chiller2002TL 06-09-2019 09:41 AM

Like in the post before if it fits you can do it. But based on what I've seen so far from people who have done an AV6 swap they have driven up to 30k or more miles so far and no problems. All you gotta do is change your fluid at regular intervals.. I'm saving towards the swap myself even tho now since my 2x3 I've only ran into the slip into neutral only 4 times but the shifts are smoother than I had temporary dexron 3 .. But normally I'd get this on a really hot day or if I drove for over 4 hours..

So in short if it fits you can try it.. And I've been told if the donor transmission has over 50k miles to get a new torque converter.

01acls 06-09-2019 07:56 PM

JM Jr,

Yes, I have done this trans cooler mod. It does give the trans some much needed cooling and/or temperature stabilization. This would be beneficial to those that are in the snow areas as well by warming the atf to operating temperature.

I installed a 99 TL radiator in a 00 TL. The 99 has the trans cooler build in the radiator. Just hook up the trans cooler to the return lines of the transmission and you are good to go. Not that complicated. Atf cooler is just preventive maintenance.

The secret to keeping the trans alive is to change 100% of the atf and do the stop in go while doing the atf exchange. I will only use Valvoline Max Life full synthetic, I've had nothing but good results with that atf. When I say 100% atf, that includes the torque converter atf, hence, the stop n go.

One more tip... Add couple shots of XADO 120.

Between the 100% atf, stop n go, and XADO 120, this saved my trans. It's been three years now.