Tranny Code, dealership-Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Code, dealership-Need help!

To begin with I'll to make this as short as possible. I went on vacation for a month and left the car with my buddy to drive around few times a week so its not just sitting there. When I got back check engine light come on. I went to the dealership they, said its probably the gas-cap. I checked the gas cap; the next day light went off. I thought, its all good till…….yesterday.

I usually, start the car up a min two 3 min before driving off-when its a little cold out (I live in Colorado) yesterday, as I started to drive out of parking lot, transmission knocked very hard, from 1st to 2nd, lost power, D5 was flashing, check engine, and VSA light came on at the same time. It was the weirdest thing ever! I down shifted and the tranny was working fine...so I turned the car off for few min…started back and let it idle for 5 mine while I was checking tranny fluid, etc. drove the car off everything went back to normal...all the light turned off ,D5 stopped flashing, check engine stayed on.

Dealership:
I have read on here about the transmission issues on some 3.2TL-s and others. I am aware that its probably covered for some kind of defective or recall. My car just hit 103K, and transmission has been flashed according to schedule. Also, my car is salvage-rebuild for a very minor accident, instead of letting it go, I bought it back from the insurance company. So, the dealership was telling me that the warranty has expired as of 5 MAR 2008. That didn’t make sense to me. Then they told me that they cant cover it because of salvage-rebuild. I strongly believe, what they told me today was BS. For the simple fact that my SRS light came on for the passenger-side seat sensor and drive side seat built while my car was a salvage-rebuild title… I took it in and they told me that those items were recall and warranty covered it. But, they did say that it will cost 5g’s to get the transmission fixed, I told them I mind as well go buy another TL with 5g’s.

-They gave me a P1750 code, and they reset the codes.
-The car drives normal now.
-I am sure this will either happen again or check engine will come back on.
Anyone out there more experienced on this issue that can give me some tips, advice as to what I should do? Who to talk? Or am I out of luck?
Thanks guys! And excuse my writing I am very disappointed that this is happening to my baby
Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 PM
SixSpeedDreamin'

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Considering that your vehicle has a salvage-rebuild title they will not commit to giving you another transmission free of charge...
Old 04-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

And I am guessing that this is something non-removable? even though the car can pass a 100% inspection IN/OUT?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Salvage title means NO warranty extension
Old 04-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
actually/technically salvage title means NO `TRANS warranty extension`

The `occupant SAFETY items` of seatbelt and SRS warranty extension to 10/150 remains in effect-- despite the salvage title

There is a new thread for OE rebuilt trans from a dealer at good price, or risk having yours rebuilt at 2500-3000 dollars with no promises from local shop
OR
go speak with the service MANAGER abou tsome goodwill; assistance
not the writer whose job it is to bring income to the shop~
The MANAGER can do a price match to aamco if they want
Biz is slow everywhere- you have room to work with them on price

Your problem is: its now at the dealer level for goodwill help- instead of the corp level of goodwill like those in warranty or with warranty but past limits
A box of donuts "for the shop" goes a long way to getting you a trans for under 3gs

Your extended trans warranty voided on the date the car was declared totaled
Old 04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

Blkwid-
when you say the trans fluid was FLUSHED per schedule- do you mean a basic 3 qt drain and refill or a 3x3 method or a machine at a shop used suction or pressure to force fluid thru? at what mileages?
If thats the case and it was last done recently- check type of fluid used!!
Most cars run on Dextron3/Dex3, and the TL is ~allergic~ to that particular fluid
It will kill a trans quickly-
If the shop used it- you have a case for them to kick in half or cover the trans cost

Best bet after that: is talking in person with the service MANAGER at acura- explain your situation- starving student- 3 kids and no job.. whatever your situation is- tell them the truth- its a human you are talking too

Explain that you bought you own car back as salvage because you loved it so much,,
its not some garbage car you just got at auction and want acura to comp a tranny!

If you ever went to the dealer for service remind them of that- existing customers get better treatment- on the surface you appear to be like others who bought salvage and are shocked when the trans goes,,but you took care of it per book and did everything you could for it--thats a lot different story!
How much you love the car,,, and are on acurazine.com..can they possibly cut you a shop to shop rate???--cost + deal or some other major help????---For which you will give them `all 10s on the survey cards and calls`, and tell everyone on acurazine what a great dealer this is to go to!!

Its the parts dept who will take the $ loss if they sell it for 2g instead of 3500-4000
5$ box of Donuts for the parts dept is a really good idea,,and get comp oil drain plugs and such in the future when you drop in to say hi
Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Team Owner

most service WRITERS have authority to deal with valid warranty claims and some small wheeling and dealing on package deal service repairs
BUT
it takes the MANAGER to do anything out of the ordinary
Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Blkwid-
when you say the trans fluid was FLUSHED per schedule- do you mean a basic 3 qt drain and refill or a 3x3 method or a machine at a shop used suction or pressure to force fluid thru? at what mileages?
If thats the case and it was last done recently- check type of fluid used!!
Most cars run on Dextron3/Dex3, and the TL is ~allergic~ to that particular fluid
It will kill a trans quickly-
If the shop used it- you have a case for them to kick in half or cover the trans cost

Best bet after that: is talking in person with the service MANAGER at acura- explain your situation- starving student- 3 kids and no job.. whatever your situation is- tell them the truth- its a human you are talking too

Explain that you bought you own car back as salvage because you loved it so much,,
its not some garbage car you just got at auction and want acura to comp a tranny!

If you ever went to the dealer for service remind them of that- existing customers get better treatment- on the surface you appear to be like others who bought salvage and are shocked when the trans goes,,but you took care of it per book and did everything you could for it--thats a lot different story!
How much you love the car,,, and are on acurazine.com..can they possibly cut you a shop to shop rate???--cost + deal or some other major help????---For which you will give them `all 10s on the survey cards and calls`, and tell everyone on acurazine what a great dealer this is to go to!!

Its the parts dept who will take the $ loss if they sell it for 2g instead of 3500-4000
5$ box of Donuts for the parts dept is a really good idea,,and get comp oil drain plugs and such in the future when you drop in to say hi

01tl4tl,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to me. Your words do make sense and absolutely right, donuts or hell even a lunch on me is not a bad idea at all... The person I talk to was Service Sales Manger and seem to be a ok guy. I just need to find his good side-it was the first time i mate him. would he a good person to talk?

And it is true, I really do love this car! best one ive owned!

I went to the dealer to get it flushed they checked out for me and said because the tranny oil in it is still ok, they recommended I just get it changed - drain and refill at i think 80k. At 96K the car was then garage kept for six months due to Iraq deployment. Most of these miles are highway miles.
I will definitely call Acura again and see what I can do. I am scared to drive it now thinking that it could lock-up on me or just die.

01tl4tl, thanks again bro and ill keep you guys posted.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Intermediate

For those of you who read this post. I did say that I will keep you guys posted. As far as what happens to my tranny.

so, make long story short. The dealer offered to pay 85% on the tranny and I pay the rest. 01tl4tl, your suggestions helped a lot thanks bro!!! With the rapport I made with those guys, I went a head and told to service my TLs for 105K timing built, water pump, etc. all that for little over 2K. I think it was a very reasonable price.

On top of that they gave me a loner 09 TL fully loaded w/Nav...just beautiful!!! I was very impressed with the bells and whistles and everything else but not so impressed with the the body of the car...specailly the front end..I didn't feel the big ass chrome grill...

My ride drives like a champ now...I am in love even more!!
thanks guys for your help and support!!! Hopefully this will help someone else down the road
Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
So..... a salvage or rebuilt title does not always mean no tranny help. Great news, thanks for sharing your story.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Team Owner

that is an amazing result- massive Goodwill on acuras part!!
from service writers 5 grand to 15% by customer- I bet that trans comes with a 3/36 warranty too

Ive never heard of it being done for salvage title-
Definetly write thank you letter to corp and the dealership!

If you look miltary that may have helped too- got to take care of thoe people

Congrats and glad its all together and running strong

Notes on words/terms- acura says 3 qt drain and fill is all it ever needs,
power FLUSH machines are never to be used--acura uses the word `flush` to be a 3 time drain and fill~

start a 3 qt method at 15k miles on the trans and repeat for as long as you have the car

again- CONGRATS on excellent `people skills`- thats what it takes to get what you want in life~
Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Team Owner

You should have got a small survey card with the invoice for the work,
thats where you start with the perfect 10 scores- those results go to acura corp then back to the dealer for their weekly shop meetings-
positive comments= bonus $$

I like to name anyone who helped beyond the average..especially the girls in the office that got you a loaner, took the stress out of all of this for you~ or the SM who really went to bat for you

Then you may get a phone survey follow-up call, and an email survey

Take care of those who took care of you, and a few weeks later drop by to say Hi and casually mention you hope those 10s helped them out
Old 06-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Traded in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe they covered you that much for a branded title car. They really stepped their game up wherever you went.
Gives me a small glimpse of hope if my tranny ever goes out..but I'm WAYYY over mileage - 150K - all on original tranny.
Thanks for lettin us know that there is still help out there for our cars and have fun with a pretty much brand new car. Just seafoam, clean IM and EGR ports and it'll run like it did when it was brand new
Old 06-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Team Owner

150 and going strong- yours will live forever!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

that is an amazing result- massive Goodwill on acuras part!!
from service writers 5 grand to 15% by customer- I bet that trans comes with a 3/36 warranty too

Ive never heard of it being done for salvage title-
Definetly write thank you letter to corp and the dealership!

If you look miltary that may have helped too- got to take care of thoe people

Congrats and glad its all together and running strong

Notes on words/terms- acura says 3 qt drain and fill is all it ever needs,
power FLUSH machines are never to be used--acura uses the word `flush` to be a 3 time drain and fill~

start a 3 qt method at 15k miles on the trans and repeat for as long as you have the car

again- CONGRATS on excellent `people skills`- thats what it takes to get what you want in life~

I will definitely be doing that. I didnt get the card with the invoice however, did get an e mail. Of Course I will maintain my rapport with Acura and stop by every now then.
yes it does come with 3/36 warranty.

I am currently located in Colorado Springs CO. for those who were wondering.
there arent a lot of 2gen guys around here. If you are out here hit me up.

Of course there is always hope out there for us TLers. I will take care of this tranny to the best. So, dont give up guys there is Hope
Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Team Owner

I think the big differance in this case was you owned and cared for the car- bought it back from the insurance and continued to maintain it.

In cases where someone recently bought a salvage title car rom an auction- with unknown history- maybe a flooded car? etc etc,,,acura has far less incentive in PR value by helping that person--they bought cheap- you get what you pay for

You on the other hand are telling everyone who reads this thread about a good resolution- thats good PR

So others who have the same situation of keeping the car after an accident and trans prob- its worth a conversation and some food treats for the shop
Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Traded in my

150 and going strong- yours will live forever!
That's what I'm goin for..love this car to death. Will drive it into the ground before I ever let it go. Had an 89 Accord with 300K+ miles before the odometer/speedo broke and quit adding up the miles..I will always have faith in Honda. Especially if they help us out like they did for the OP.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Team Owner

what a great idea--eff the speedo up and the trans wont know its time to fail!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Team Owner

Blkwid
Along with those surveys- a personal thank you letter to the SM with copy sent to GM of dealer and to acura corp in LA will be greatly appreciated and read aloud at the weekly manager and shop meetings,
They post those on the wall proudly for other customers to read
Name names- give credit where it is due, they hooked you up big time

they may not have mentioned MY suggested break in technique
first 500 miles drive gently to normal as the trans parts get to know each other and the computer learns your shift patterns, making them smoother later for you
500-1000 miles drive normal to aggessive- still no racing- no full throttle runs to redline,,
but test it to be sure all the parts are working together

If its going to have a warranty prob it should pop up then
After that, drive as you want and enjoy

If you havnt seafoamed and got the 105, go ahead and do it to finish the full tune up by cleaning the pistons and valves and injectors for max combustion
Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Traded in my

what a great idea--eff the speedo up and the trans wont know its time to fail!!!

I wish it worked like that..
We're gonna have a DIY posted in a few weeks on how to "eff up the speedo"
Old 06-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
...some food treats for the shop<---:gheylaugh
I didn't buy back from ins. co., but, I did research it to find out mine was a one owner & I do believe I take decent care of it so we'll see if & when it craps out.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:27 AM
Team Owner

go ahead and glaugh at food treats for the shop-

but ask anyone who has done it what a great reception you get- O wow! thanks man!!!!
what can we do for you?!

very few customers think of the techs or desk staff in a good way

Taking the time to bring ice cream or anything just knocks them over with surprise and gratitude that pays you back far more than the 5 dollar investment

totaled: just dont incur the `azine trans curse` by telling us how great your trans is at xxx miles
Your car is running good, you got a good deal and take care of the car overall,
Leave it at that!