TL in Snow

Old 11-01-2000, 08:02 PM

Post TL in Snow

How is the TL in the snow? Stock tires on the car? I just rented a house at Hunter Mountain for the entire winter which means that I will get driving up on weekends, and the roads to get slippery and twist alot.
Old 11-01-2000, 08:23 PM
BDI
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TL drove fine in the snow with stock tires. I felt like I had full control, but then again I was driving REALLY slow.
BTW- I just graduated from Stony Brook. Theres a great restaurant in Pt Jeff.....i think it's called Steam Room(by the ferry)

------------------
1999 Navi/Satin Silver/Ebony/Comptech Sport Suspension/Comptech Axle-back Exhaust/Factory Underbody Kit/Wings West Flush mount spoiler/Weapon-R Intake/Super-White Highs/Polarg Turn Signals/Burlwood Shift Knob/Black Chrome Emblem Kit/Custom Grille,Inpire Tail Lights, more to come...
Old 11-01-2000, 09:05 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
The TL is remarkable in snow!

It pulled off things last winter that couldnt be accomplished by our Nissan Pathfinder.

The most impressive was when I drove it up a very steep hill coated with 1" thick black ice... I wasnt even able to walk up this hill for more then a foot... and the pathfinder couldnt even get any traction on all 4 wheels.

I never got stuck once... and driving 60mph in a Blizzard was like driving in a rain storm... piece of cake.

Somethin bout them Acuras in the snow... cant wait to try the MDX
Old 11-01-2000, 10:00 PM
Pro

The TL is a blast in the snow.. I got to drive a 99 last year for a week while mine was in the shop, and it was a great time...It has my full confidence in the snow...But for a real fun time try the Audi Quattro's

------------------
1996 2.5 TL Dark Green
HKS Powerflow, HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator, Sebring Exhaust, Jacobs Pro Street, Apex-i AFC, Jet ECU, PIAA 1100x, Clarion 9255, Tube Driver Amps, Boston Pro 10's (2) , CD Technologies 6-4-2, Clarion 6.4 TV's (3), Cliford Avant Guard 4, Trunk, Underdash and Underbody Neons
No nav yet but soon!!!
Old 11-02-2000, 02:13 PM
Pro

do you still need chains to drive in the snow? i am planning on taking it up to mountains but wasn't sure if it will be safe
Old 11-02-2000, 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I must say the car did pretty well around here in the snow last year.The TCS went on & off on the car.Around here many side streets were not clear of snow & ice.
I have no choice but to park in my backyard & I have to go in the alley to do that.The trash trucks did not come down for a few weeks.I had to dig my car out & last year then get up &down the alley.This year I will have my brand new MICHELIN ARCTIC ALPIN SNOW & ICE TIRES if it gets dicey around here.
Old 11-02-2000, 03:23 PM
Pro

Chains are not really needed...I didn't have any chains and were i drove it for that week, it was fine through a total of six inches for the week...most of that six inches was unplowed...But chains are not allowed in some places like the city and some highways due to their damaging effect to the roads...I'd buy chains and then keep them in the back unopened till you actually start driving...But you'll find that you probably won't need them...

------------------
1996 2.5 TL Dark Green
HKS Powerflow, HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator, Sebring Exhaust, Jacobs Pro Street, Apex-i AFC, Jet ECU, PIAA 1100x, Clarion 9255, Tube Driver Amps, Boston Pro 10's (2) , CD Technologies 6-4-2, Clarion 6.4 TV's (3), Cliford Avant Guard 4, Trunk, Underdash and Underbody Neons
No nav yet but soon!!!
Old 11-03-2000, 07:05 AM

hey guys,

for those of you who said the tl handled fine on snow, were you driving with stock tires or low profiles such as 215/45/.... i was wondering if the lower sidewalls would effect the tl's handling in the snow. also, how effective is having the tcs? what exactly is that and does the feature really come on automatically at the right time when it senses that the car is going in a spin. please give me input on this cuz i go skiing alot and really want a preview of what to expect. thanks
Old 11-03-2000, 07:57 AM
Instructor

I have the stock tires and the TL handled the snow just fine. But I was driving real slow, just as someone else posted. I'd rather go slow than spin out and hurt my car.

As for chains, I agree that you should buy some and keep them in the trunk. You might need them in the mountains. In CA, if the chains required sign is up and you ignore it, and Smokey catches you, you're going to pay a hefty fine. Back in 1988 it was $50.00. And you do not want to purchase chains from a local gas station or hardware store in the mountains. They'll cost you big $$$ and may not be the correct size for your tires.
Old 11-03-2000, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by UOP21:
hey guys,

for those of you who said the tl handled fine on snow, were you driving with stock tires or low profiles such as 215/45/.... i was wondering if the lower sidewalls would effect the tl's handling in the snow. also, how effective is having the tcs? what exactly is that and does the feature really come on automatically at the right time when it senses that the car is going in a spin. please give me input on this cuz i go skiing alot and really want a preview of what to expect. thanks
Well our system only works at low speeds being about 18mph & below if the monitor senses one of the front wheels losing traction it applies the brake to that wheel the TCS light flashes if that happens.TCS does not control the cars whole braking system & cannot prevent a skid if you enter a corner to fast.The system comes on each time you turn the car on & can be turned off with a push of the button then will be on when you start the car again.I did well last year but car was brand new.
This year I have snow tires if needed.

Old 11-03-2000, 05:07 PM
Pro

Living in Toronto we get our fair share of snow and last winter I found that the stock tire was fine. I never had any problems getting stuck or spinning or losing control. On the other hand, I drive very cautiously in the snow.
Old 11-07-2000, 06:36 PM

I am concerned about any car that has low-profile, high performance tires in snow. I live outside of Rochester, NY where we average over 80" of snow. My driveway has an pretty good uphill slope. In '87, I had an Accord which pulled up the driveway really well on the stock Michelin tires. That car was totalled and I replaced it with a nearly identical '88 which could not get up the driveway in snow. The difference - the '88 had Michelin MXV "H" rated tires. I had to replace them with snows in the winter to get up the driveway. Since then, I have had several cars with low-profile tires and found them lacking in snow and even in rain. If you really have much snow to deal witn, I suggest four Blizzaks to pull you through.

Joel

------------------
Joel
Old 11-07-2000, 06:41 PM
Pro

I drove with my 19's on last winter in snow and compact ice with no problems except that i was like a snow plow.