TL IN H.K. apparently much better crafted than here!

Old 09-16-2001, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TL IN H.K. apparently much better crafted than here!

My uncle arrived just a few days ago here from H.K. and he checked out our 02 TL today. He commented on how much the craftsmanship is much poorer here than his friend's new 02 TL-S in H.K. he said one of the more noticable things is the much wider gaps between the doors, the hood, truck, etc.. He said the TLs and TLS' he saw in H.K. (including his friends) has much narrower gaps and thus, when washing a car and stuff, the water doesn't even get near to geting through like what happens to my car now. He also said the paint wasn't comparable to the paint in H.K. as the paint "doesn't feel right and look right" (I'll have to agree with him there becuz the car's paint was not very smooth). He claims it's probably becuz the TLs in H.K. are made in Japan..just in case u r interested, they sell for $H.K.330 000 (TL-P), which comes to about $44 000 American....
Old 09-16-2001, 05:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Arent the TL's made here in the U.S. and shipped even to Japan????
Old 09-16-2001, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

They're made on the same assembly line in Ohio. Only differences are trim (and obviously right hand drive).
Old 09-16-2001, 09:02 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$12K

Dude,

$44K! Screw that...I'll take a few manufacturing "inconsistencies" on my car to save $12K.
Old 09-16-2001, 09:24 PM
Drifting

I think all TL's come off of the Ohio plant.
Old 09-16-2001, 09:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I believe that HK has a much higher auto tax. Does anyone know what's the % of that?
Old 09-16-2001, 09:53 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if they are made here, why is it so hard for us to get inspire parts. Like the cool wing,grills, interioir stuff, side cams. And all that other stuff.
Old 09-16-2001, 10:19 PM
Advanced

oracion I believe that HK has a much higher auto tax. Does anyone know what's the % of that
Yeah H.k.'s tax is 100% yes 100%.

Mr Hyde Arent the TL's made here in the U.S. and shipped even to Japan????
nah, those things are actually made in japan. parts and all that come from japan and is assembled in japan, at least that's what the salesman told my uncle's friend.

$44K! Screw that...I'll take a few manufacturing "inconsistencies" on my car to save $12K.
That's not how ppl there think though. Most cars are anywhere from 50%-200% more expensive there than USA. Mainly becuz of tax, but also becuz ppl there who can afford a car will only buy japanese, korean and european cars but they will not buy American cars. If u can buy a damn car in hk, then u are almost surely very rich!
Old 09-16-2001, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Most people that care about cars in HK drive MB, BMW and Lexus the TL is nothing in Hong Kong. Also someone feed your friend a line of bullsh$t about being built in Japan just look on the sticker to see where it was assembled!
Old 09-16-2001, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by THE ROCK

Yeah H.k.'s tax is 100% yes 100%.

nah, those things are actually made in japan. parts and all that come from japan and is assembled in japan, at least that's what the salesman told my uncle's friend.

That's not how ppl there think though. Most cars are anywhere from 50%-200% more expensive there than USA. Mainly becuz of tax, but also becuz ppl there who can afford a car will only buy japanese, korean and european cars but they will not buy American cars. If u can buy a damn car in hk, then u are almost surely very rich!
Tax rate varies on classes. A Corolla, Civic or Lancer's price is almost the same comparing in price in US and Canada. But as your engine size increases, tax increases. Same for luxury level.

So a TL with a 3.2L engine will pay twice as much tax as a Civic with a 1.6L engine. And TL is consider as luxury car so you pay luxury tax as well. Not to mention a bunch of licensing fee and such.

Most American cars has larger engine but less refinement than their Euripean and Japanese counter part. That's why you don't see many American car in Asia because of the tax issue. The only people that own American car in Asia are rich and stupid (except the Corvette and Viper owners of course. Those actually sells well among the rich communities).

Not to mention in H.K., parking space costs a lot too. A covered parking spot cost as much as $400,000HK($50,000US) or rent one for about $300US to $400US/month. That leaves owning a car for upper middle class.

The sales person is yanking your chain when he/she say it's made in Japan. If may contain 70-80% of parts from Japan but it's not made in Japan. TL and Accord (except Euro-R) is made in America with mostly Japanese parts.

As for the gaps, I think your uncle is just yanking your chain. No one is going to say their car is crapper. Unless you can measure gap by gap, side by side, there's no way you can tell.

But on the lighter side, the most popular model in HK is Mercedes. That create a very good 2nd hand market for one. I believe my cousin just got a loaded 8 years old S class for less than $15,000US. The rich people just change Mercedes like spring/fall fashions.
Old 09-17-2001, 01:07 AM
Instructor

I remembered on the 99-01 TL in HK (called Inspire and Sabre) used to have a small emblem on the outside C-pillar (between rear passenger window and the rear windshield?) says "Honda of America" with an Eagle on it... a very unique badge that I'veh never sen in here..... so I assume they were assembled here in US.... I've seen an ad photo of the Honda Inspire (TL) of 2002 model, was taken with the Golden Gate Bridge as background, with a California plate...... worth to take a look....
Old 09-17-2001, 02:13 AM
Racer

They should be made in the U.S.
Old 09-17-2001, 02:54 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, even OUR TL/TLS has parts from Japan, HK TLS are made in OHIO!!!! NO TLS are made in Japan, PERIOD....

The sale is/was lieing.....

I seriously doubted that there would be any dramatic differences between US/Canada TLS and HK/Japan TLS.... though Asian marketed TLS tend to have more appearing interior(wood/leather steering wheel, chrome shift gate plate...etc).... Asian buyers are more concern about little details inside the cabin....

Andy Kuo
Old 09-17-2001, 07:40 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
To my mind, this is a classic example of placebo effect - how expectation can cloud reality. And there is more than a kinto of jongoism and xenophobia as well.

I mean, "door gaps are tighter" in a car made on the same assembly line as our cars? Must be the salt air on the way to the Pacific rim.
Old 09-17-2001, 10:33 AM
Racer

Actually guys,
the only TL/Inspire whatever u want to call it, that is made in ohio are the ones that are sold in N.America.
The ones in Asia ARE built in Japan.
The only reason the N.American ones are even built in ohio are to save on import tariffs.
Old 09-17-2001, 11:23 AM
Pro

Originally posted by BarryH
They're made on the same assembly line in Ohio. Only differences are trim (and obviously right hand drive).
What about the Inspire? Isn't the Inspire the IMPORTED TL (from the US) in Japan?
Old 09-17-2001, 12:05 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Japanese Inspire/Saber are made in OHIO!!! If you look at pictures of Inspire/Saber close enough, and ever wonder what that little round badge is on C-Pillar(and badge on shifter shows it), it says something like "Honda of America" or something..

Guess we need some one in HK or Japan to run down to the Acura/Honda dealer and have a look at the manufacturer's sticker...

Ok, here is the link I have been looking for.... hope this clears up most of the questions...

http://www.mag-x.com/scoop/inspire-saber0103/

Andy Kuo
Old 09-17-2001, 04:29 PM
Pro

Anyone know why in Asia, they seem to get nicer stuff in the same cars as standard equipment? Wood steering wheel, for example. I'm surprised that having the world's largest consumer market in north america, we'd be getting these things as standard. Or do they think we're rich so we should just pay for it? (Or poor, to keep prices low on the cars..?)
Old 09-17-2001, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Call a spade a spade, or call it whatever you want, but your uncle's observations parallel my own after I bought my TLS. Several parts just don't fit properly--trunk lid curls up on one corner, rear door gaps are pronounced, etc. I honestly can't see how Acura could have built its reputation on the fit and finish of my TLS. That said, however, I still love this car!
Old 09-17-2001, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by hooked2TL
Anyone know why in Asia, they seem to get nicer stuff in the same cars as standard equipment? Wood steering wheel, for example. I'm surprised that having the world's largest consumer market in north america, we'd be getting these things as standard. Or do they think we're rich so we should just pay for it? (Or poor, to keep prices low on the cars..?)
It's different attitude toward cars. Asians want all the bells and whistles and Americans just want core functions and value. Hence more fancy add-on in Asian market cars.

Also don't forget, there are 2 versions of TL in Asia where we have only 1. Sabre is the lower end (econo) version of the model compared to Inspire (which comes with all the bells and whistles).
Old 09-17-2001, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

asian markets are more towards luxury...since its so crowded there is no room to speed...even hyundai in korea...come out as if they are bentleys or rolls royce...i'm sure hondas come out better in Japan and other coutries towards east as welll...
Old 09-17-2001, 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Not directly related to this thread, but all this talk about make/model names reminded me of this one time that I saw on the freeway here in CA this car that looked almost practically like the new Civic but had Acura badges on it. I forgot what the model badge said (I think some kind of lettering scheme similar to TL/CL/RL). Now you guys might just say that the person just took off the Honda badges and slapped Acura ones on but I sorta doubt it because: a) the driver (some middle-aged lady) didn't look like the type who would do something like that (you know who you guys are!!!), b) the badges looked like they actually came on the car like that (dunno how to better put this in words except that it looked like the badges actually looked like they were put there at the factory), c) the car had Mexico (to be honest I don't remember for sure but I do know that they weren't from any U.S or Canadian state/province) license plates, and d) people who usually do these Acura <--> Honda badge swaps usually do other kinds of ricer mods; this particular car was as plain a car as any unmodified one.

So, does anybody know whether the Civic-looking vehicles down in Mexico are actually Acura-badged and not Honda-badged? Or perhaps this person did such a perfect job of badging his Civic an Acura instead of a Honda?

Tony
Old 09-17-2001, 07:33 PM
Advanced

Well if u think about it, they actually paid for that kinda stuff. the prices there, even before taxs and stuff is still much higher than N.A. Therefore, it's standard equipment, but they've paid for it blindly.

The sales person is yanking your chain when he/she say it's made in Japan. If may contain 70-80% of parts from Japan but it's not made in Japan. TL and Accord (except Euro-R) is made in America with mostly Japanese parts.
I don't think my uncle would be lying to me at all. Why would he help put over his friend's car over mine when we are actually family? that doesn't make all that much sense and plus the fact my uncle is a very honest man, he tells it like it is and as he sees it.
Ok, the salesperson MAY be yanking my uncle's friend's chain. Let's ASSuME that it's made in USA. So u would be telling me that there is a double standard on the quality of the TL; ones being shipped out of N.A. is better. That would be hard to swallow but also understandable. After all they are the ones paying a tonne more $$$ for the cars.
Old 09-17-2001, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Just check the V.I.N on the Honda/Acura

Guys, all he has to do is check the Vehicle Indentification on the car. If it begins with a '1' then it is made in the USA otherwise if it begins with a 'J' then it originated from Japan, plain and simple. I know my 94 Civic was assembled and shipped from Japan based on the VIN.

Hope this helps....
Old 09-17-2001, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by tdoh
Not directly related to this thread, but all this talk about make/model names reminded me of this one time that I saw on the freeway here in CA this car that looked almost practically like the new Civic but had Acura badges on it. I forgot what the model badge said (I think some kind of lettering scheme similar to TL/CL/RL). Now you guys might just say that the person just took off the Honda badges and slapped Acura ones on but I sorta doubt it because: a) the driver (some middle-aged lady) didn't look like the type who would do something like that (you know who you guys are!!!), b) the badges looked like they actually came on the car like that (dunno how to better put this in words except that it looked like the badges actually looked like they were put there at the factory), c) the car had Mexico (to be honest I don't remember for sure but I do know that they weren't from any U.S or Canadian state/province) license plates, and d) people who usually do these Acura <--> Honda badge swaps usually do other kinds of ricer mods; this particular car was as plain a car as any unmodified one.

So, does anybody know whether the Civic-looking vehicles down in Mexico are actually Acura-badged and not Honda-badged? Or perhaps this person did such a perfect job of badging his Civic an Acura instead of a Honda?

Tony
Are you talking about the EL???

http://www.2001el.com/english/homepage_E.asp
Old 09-17-2001, 08:39 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Originally posted by THE ROCK

Well if u think about it, they actually paid for that kinda stuff. the prices there, even before taxs and stuff is still much higher than N.A. Therefore, it's standard equipment, but they've paid for it blindly.

I don't think my uncle would be lying to me at all. Why would he help put over his friend's car over mine when we are actually family? that doesn't make all that much sense and plus the fact my uncle is a very honest man, he tells it like it is and as he sees it.
Ok, the salesperson MAY be yanking my uncle's friend's chain. Let's ASSuME that it's made in USA. So u would be telling me that there is a double standard on the quality of the TL; ones being shipped out of N.A. is better. That would be hard to swallow but also understandable. After all they are the ones paying a tonne more $$$ for the cars.
Cars being more expensive has nothing to do with equipments... it's government regulations.... Cars in Asia are much more expensive in average...

As for arguing about HK TLS made in Japan, have you read the link I posted?? Read the very first line..... or try Caprirooster's suggestion: Check the VIN...

Andy Kuo
Old 09-18-2001, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Hello everyone,

The Inspire and Sabre are built in the US. I am a part time resident in Japan and saw the actual Inspire Type S in Japan. They both have the Honda of America logo on the C-pillars.

There are many salespeople (Although not everyone) will say anything whether the information accurate or inaccurate to sell cars.

* 2002 TL-S
* Nighawk Black Pearl
* Non Navi
* Acura Underbody Kit
* Mugen 3pc Trunk spoiler
Old 09-18-2001, 11:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

think its the EL u talkin about...its very similar to the new civic
Old 09-19-2001, 12:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

liutang and lilboykorea--yep, that's the one! I knew I wasn't just imagining; however, I wasn't sure of the origin (maybe it was Canadian after all--I was more focused on the fact that it looked like a Civic but had Acura badges).

Now if you ask me, it looks a lot like a Civic sedan; doesn't Honda sell their vehicles under their marquee name in Canada or are they solely sold as Acuras up there?

Thanks for doing the research for me...

Tony
Old 09-19-2001, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tdoh
liutang and lilboykorea--yep, that's the one! I knew I wasn't just imagining; however, I wasn't sure of the origin (maybe it was Canadian after all--I was more focused on the fact that it looked like a Civic but had Acura badges).

Now if you ask me, it looks a lot like a Civic sedan; doesn't Honda sell their vehicles under their marquee name in Canada or are they solely sold as Acuras up there?

Thanks for doing the research for me...

Tony
Canada's Civic tops out @ 115 HP. EL carries the US Civic EX Engine @ 127HP with mods to front and end.

Interior is also similar but added wood trim and leather option. Thicker stablizer bars (which Civics will get this year as well) and 4 wheel disc brakes.

Only if they put the base RSX 160hp engine in it, that thing will fly!
Old 09-20-2001, 11:32 AM
Pro

Yeah, Acura makes the 1.7EL up here which is based on Civic platform. More luxurious, etc, it's a nice little sedan.
Old 09-20-2001, 12:07 PM
tea elle

Red face

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:o you guys are puttin me to sleep with this one....

I mean, who cares?