TL Type S guage cluster retrofit into a 99 TL-P (revised)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:49 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TL Type S guage cluster retrofit into a 99 TL-P (revised)

I posted this before but I've made some significant updates that I didn't have time to do before. Most who know me, know that I have a knack for picking DIY projects that somehow become much more difficult than I expect... This was when I had my 99 TL and a warm up project to my Nav retrofit... (which was much easier in fact, just more time consuming...)

Original idea:
Purchase Type S instrument cluster.
Basically plug and play with 2 known issues

1. D4 would skip over to D5 (according to the service manual)
2. VSA would light up continuously and TCS was covered up (bulb positions were different)

Unfortunate and unexpected issues after initial test install...
- Mileage not corrected (showing 16k instead of 72k)
- Heat gauge goes above H after 30 seconds
(thought it was a faulty heat gauge, turns out the Type S guage is not compatible with the TL-P signal)

Great idea... turned out not so great...
Since I wanted to retain the mileage and have the white gauges and eat my cake too... I thought I would keep the original 99 TL-P circuit board (which housed the mileage chip) and just swap out the guages and figure out how to align the gear display (D4 / D5). I figured swapping the Type S brighter LCD would be pretty easy...

Here is the Type S cluster disassembled. The white pieces sandwich the circuit board

Swapped the gauges around in hopes that they would just plug and play...

The gear display alignment was the easy part... after swaping the gauges, neither the fuel worked (no movement at all) nor the Heat gauge (shot up to past H immediately). I then discover that the TL-S Fuel and Heat gauges have different pinouts / orientation on the circuit board... not to mention that the LCD screen pins were soldered directly on the circuit board which made the LCD swap a challenge.

Solutions

LCD
The LCD screen was the "no turning back" mod. I took a small pair of pliers and clipped all 30 pins on my original TL-P cluster board. Then I proceeded to clip all 30 of the TL-S pins. The Type S LCD pins were cut longer and the the TL-P circuit board pins cut longer so that the two would overlap and be easier to solder.

The Philips screws were solder filled and required desoldering. I put the Type S screen in the TL-P board and re-soldered all 30 pins and just prayed that it would light up properly which, thank god it did...

Gear Display
This was an easy trick... The little bulbs on the circuit board are housed with rubber on the bottom. I used the TL-S housing which had 1-D5 spaces and I simply spread the N and the D4 bulbs apart and placed the housing over top, forcing the bulbs in the right slots and leaving the D5 cavity without a bulb. Only issue is that the one of the clips in the rear will not close 100% upon re-assembly (I can live with that)

Fuel and Heat gauges
These were by far the most difficult to correct. The gauge pins go through the circuit board, flower out in the rear (rivet style) over a round circuit connection point and is soldered on.

I had already corrected the Fuel pins but you'll notice that the Temp pins are still different.

To correct the pinouts, I had to desolder and remove all 6 pins (3 each), use a knife and dig up the round contact in the rear and remove them all.

Then I reinstalled all the pins which now do not connect to anything. They are now a bit wobbly but work just fine.

To figure out which pins were what, I had to trace the circuit board until I knew basically if it was ground or some sort of signal. I then took both bare boards and hooked them up to the car, used a volt meter to confirm 100% what the pins were. I found 1 x ground, 1 x 12volt (ignition), and one negative signal (bingo!). I wrote the -ve numbers down and tried the other board... (bingo!) correct signals located.

The fuel gauge from the TL-P and TL-S are actually different and the TL-P gauge did not have a proper ground but since I knew the correct signal wire, I just ignored the odd connector and patched a ground in to bring it back to life.

I mapped everything out and soldered trace wires in the rear to correct the pin layout.

After all the wires were done, I put the assembly (bare bones) back together to test

Bare bones testing. Notice the nice bright LCD display.

and to only realize that the signal on the temp sensor was much higher than normal, i.e. when the car was cold, it showed about 1/8 temp and when the car was warmed up, it was almost past the H. I realized that the only solution was to adjust the signal (which was resistance) of the TL-P to match the Type S temp guage.

I tested the resistance of both the Type S and TL-P temp signal and found an approx. 180ohms difference. I went out to Fry's and purchased a 250ohm trimmer which is a mini potentiometer (POT) that will adjust from 0 - 250 ohms of resistance. This allowed me to literally calibrate the temp needle by simply turning the trimmer with a small screw driver.

Had to bypass and reroute the temp signal to the trimmer

Trimmer connected. It's the little blue square attached to the black wires.

Another shot of the trimmer. Wires attached to the bottom.

Had to be careful reinstalling the housing.

Assembled with trimmer exposed for fine tuning. (small blue square)

TCS / VSA
Finally to correct the TCS / VSA location issue, I severed the VSA connection on the circuit board with an Xacto knife and simply soldered a trace wire from the TCS over to the VSA bulb connector. So now the VSA acts as my TCS light.

Cluster assembled and reinstalled.

Fully installed. This is the temp right before the fan kicks in and brings the temp back down.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Comptech Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great
now i want some type-s guages too
Old 05-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Dear God, after reading that, I am so glad that I have Type-S gauges from the factory.

MAJOR props to you for accomplishing the task. Nobody could say that it was an easy one. Congratulations!
Old 05-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
nice, but i still say its easier to install the reverse indiglo gauges

But if you love to work with PCBs like me, and you I assume, go for it
Old 05-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Pro

So how much are you going to charge for the conversion?!!
Old 05-16-2005, 05:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

wow! thats all i can say!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MAJOR PROPS!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
WoW Great JOB! and great write up! now i wonder what teh differences in the 2000 are?? looks like i might try this.???? (along with some led's)
Old 05-16-2005, 10:42 AM
DIY Mad Scientist

Thanks a bunch for the kudos guys!

I'm not charging anything for the converion... cause I'm never going to do THAT again!

My Type S cluster was from an 03. The 00 has D5. Though I can't confirm but it's possible that the 00 and up share the same gauge wiring. If you are doing an 00' you can probably get away with just purchasing the gauges from Acura rather than trying to source the entire cluster.

I didn't end up using the circuit board anyway and that's the expensive part. The only thing that you wont get are the nice white LCD numbers. It will remain the same slightly orange color but much better than the 99 which was so dim, you couldn't see it in the daylight.

LMK if you want pointers, etc. This was done over a year ago but I still remember the details...
Old 05-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Good write up Lithiumus! Damn, that's so complicated, that's one mod I'm staying away from. Kudos to you for making it work though.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:27 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Since I still get some messages to this thread, I figured I would re-insert the photos. This was done about 4 years ago and I've long since sold the the car (with cluster) and my memory has mostly faded so this is really the only documentation of the effort...

Originally Posted by lithiumus
I posted this before but I've made some significant updates that I didn't have time to do before. Most who know me, know that I have a knack for picking DIY projects that somehow become much more difficult than I expect... This was when I had my 99 TL and a warm up project to my Nav retrofit... (which was much easier in fact, just more time consuming...)

Original idea:

2. VSA would light up continuously and TCS was covered up (bulb positions were different)

(thought it was a faulty heat gauge, turns out the Type S gauge is not compatible with the TL-P signal)

Since I wanted to retain the mileage and have the white gauges, and brighter LCD display and eat my cake too... I thought I would keep the original 99 TL-P circuit board (which housed the mileage chip) and just swap out the gauges and figure out how to align the gear display (D4 / D5). I figured swapping the Type S brighter LCD would be pretty easy...

Here is the Type S cluster disassembled. The white pieces sandwich the circuit board

The gear display alignment was the easy part... after swapping the gauges, neither the fuel worked (no movement at all) nor the Heat gauge (shot up to past H immediately). I then discover that the TL-S Fuel and Heat gauges have different pinouts / orientation on the circuit board... not to mention that the LCD screen pins were soldered directly on the circuit board which made the LCD swap a challenge.

Solutions

LCD
The LCD screen was the "no turning back" mod. I took a small pair of pliers and clipped all 30 pins on my original TL-P cluster board. Then I proceeded to clip all 30 of the TL-S pins. The Type S LCD pins were cut longer and the the TL-P circuit board pins also cut long so that the two would overlap and be easier to solder.

The Philips screws were solder filled and required desoldering. I put the Type S screen in the TL-P board and re-soldered all 30 pins and just prayed that it would light up properly which, thank god it did...

Gear Display
This was an easy trick... The little bulbs on the circuit board are housed with rubber on the bottom. I used the TL-S housing which had the extra D5 spacing and I simply spread the N and the D4 bulbs apart and placed the housing over top, forcing the bulbs in the right slots and leaving the D5 cavity without a bulb. Only issue is that the one of the clips in the rear will not close 100% upon re-assembly (I can live with that)

Fuel and Heat gauges
These were by far the most difficult to correct. The gauge pins go through the circuit board, flower out in the rear (rivet style) over a round circuit connection point and is soldered on.

I had already corrected the Fuel pins but you'll notice that the Temp pins are still different.

To correct the pinouts, I had to desolder and remove all 6 pins (3 each), use a knife and dig up the round contact in the rear and remove them all.

Then I reinstalled all the pins which now do not connect to anything. They are now a bit wobbly but work just fine.

To figure out which pins were what, I had to trace the circuit board until I knew basically if it was ground or some sort of signal. I then took both bare boards and hooked them up to the car, used a volt meter to confirm 100% what the pins were. I found 1 x ground, 1 x 12volt (ignition), and one negative signal (bingo!). I wrote the -ve numbers down and tried the other board... (bingo!) correct signals located.

The fuel gauge from the TL-P and TL-S are actually different and the TL-P gauge did not have a proper ground but since I knew the correct signal wire, I just ignored the odd connector and patched a ground in to bring it back to life.

I mapped everything out and soldered trace wires in the rear to correct the pin layout.

After all the wires were done, I put the assembly (bare bones) back together to test

Bare bones testing. Notice the nice bright LCD display.

and to only realize that the signal on the temp sensor was much higher than normal, i.e. when the car was cold, it showed about 1/8 temp and when the car was warmed up, it was almost past the H. I realized that the only solution was to adjust the signal (which was resistance) of the TL-P to match the Type S temp gauge.

I tested the resistance of both the Type S and TL-P temp signal and found an approx. 180ohms difference. I went out to Fry's and purchased a 250ohm trimmer which is a mini potentiometer (POT) that will adjust from 0 - 250 ohms of resistance. This allowed me to literally calibrate the temp needle by simply turning the trimmer with a small screw driver.

Did some in car testing with my multi-meter to ensure the trimmer was working ok.

Setting the temp was just a matter of using a small flat head screw driver and adjusting it to the right levels as the trimmer was installed in series of the temp signal.

TCS / VSA
Finally to correct the TCS / VSA location issue, I severed the VSA connection on the circuit board with an Xacto knife and simply soldered a trace wire from the TCS over to the VSA bulb connector. So now the VSA acts as my TCS light.

Fully installed. This is the temp right before the fan kicks in and brings the temp back down.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:28 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, very nice
Old 03-10-2008, 01:29 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

BTW, if anyone is still doing this mod, I have a spare Temp and Fuel Type S gauge that I can sell for a reasonable price. I believe it was $50 from the dealer on special order. PM me.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pmed
Old 11-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Haha wow I was actually considering doing this mod before I looked at all this course since I have an 02 I am sure it would be easier cuz it should all line up exactly right? I'd just be changing out the face plates? Also I wanted to change the display from gross yellow green to a brighter more solid green to match my footwell lights how hard do you think that would be
Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM
10th Gear

Amazing your a stud!!! That was awesome.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KatabaticSaint
Haha wow I was actually considering doing this mod before I looked at all this course since I have an 02 I am sure it would be easier cuz it should all line up exactly right? I'd just be changing out the face plates? Also I wanted to change the display from gross yellow green to a brighter more solid green to match my footwell lights how hard do you think that would be
You can just buy a type-s cluster and plug it in, it should work just fine. As for the lights check out the LED thread
Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=750876&page=2
Old 03-18-2010, 04:42 AM
Instructor

Great job on the cluster mod.
I would really want to change the LCD cause its too dark on my car which I also have a 99 but I want to keep the gauges.
Is it possible to just change the LCD?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcuraTL99
I would really want to change the LCD cause its too dark on my car which I also have a 99 but I want to keep the gauges.
You might have a burned out bulb in it
Old 03-18-2010, 10:52 AM
DIY Mad Scientist

Wow, can't believe it's been 5 years since I started this thread... the 99 TLs came with a notoriously dim LCD. Drove me nuts and you could barely see it. If you look at my LCD portion of the DIY, you can simply get any 00+ TL cluster and cut / re-solder the newer LCD.

Make sure you cut yours off a little higher and cut the new one off a little lower so the pins overlap and you can solder them. Once you line up your new LCD in place, the pins will push against each other anyway so soldering is a piece of cake.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lithiumus
Make sure you cut yours off a little higher and cut the new one off a little lower so the pins overlap and you can solder them. Once you line up your new LCD in place, the pins will push against each other anyway so soldering is a piece of cake.
00+ TL had newer LCDs? I thought they changed it from 02-03.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You might have a burned out bulb in it
No sir, I just changed them to LEDs and they're still kind of dark.

Last edited by AcuraTL99; 03-18-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Nope, I remember clearly that only the 99s had that issue. They did a bit of an overhaul of the cluster in 00 so at the same time they updated the LCD.

I should have taken a pic of what it looked like before, but I'm sure you are very familiar.

In my last photo you can see the sun shining right at the LCD but you can still clearly see all the data. In the 99, when the sun was on the LCD, you couldn't see anything...
Old 03-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Instructor

^ Yea exactly.
So if I get a 00+, I should have the brighter LCD correct?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

The 00-03 were pretty much the exact same. 99 is the odd ball with just about every thing.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:21 PM
10th Gear

Nice , big props
Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM
6th Gear

Pictures?
Old 12-10-2010, 01:37 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Hmmm... must have changed the hosting of the pictures several times... I'll find a new spot to host them up more permanently and update the thread again.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 AM
10th Gear

hey wats up bro u get around to throwin them pics up im rly curious to c wat it looks like
Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
yea i was interested in doing this type of mod as well and have looked for a guide and saw this. but there are no pics.
Does it matter if im using Chrome? Dont think it should
Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
can someone update these pics? pls and thank u!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be really cool to see this with the pictures. This sounds like one hell of a project.
The following users liked this post:
jo3lo22 (06-26-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 02:57 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Crap, seems like there has been a year of reminders to update the pics... I still have all the pics. Let me see if I can find a spot to host them without disruption and I'll put them back up again...
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

OK. I've finally uploaded my original pictures again so the thread is now with visuals again!

Original idea:

(thought it was a faulty heat gauge, turns out the Type S guage is not compatible with the TL-P signal)

Since I wanted to retain the mileage and have the white gauges and eat my cake too... I thought I would keep the original 99 TL-P circuit board (which housed the mileage chip) and just swap out the guages and figure out how to align the gear display (D4 / D5). I figured swapping the Type S brighter LCD would be pretty easy...

The gear display alignment was the easy part... after swaping the gauges, neither the fuel gauge worked (no movement at all) nor the Heat gauge (shot up to past H immediately). I then discover that the TL-S Fuel and Heat gauges have different pinouts / orientation on the circuit board... not to mention that the LCD screen pins were soldered directly on the circuit board which made the LCD swap a challenge.

Solutions

LCD
The LCD screen was the "no turning back" mod. I took a small pair of pliers and clipped all 30 pins on my original TL-P cluster board. Then I proceeded to clip all 30 of the TL-S pins. The Type S LCD pins were cut longer and the the TL-P circuit board pins cut longer so that the two would overlap and be easier to solder.

The Philips screws holding down the LCD screen were solder filled and required desoldering. I put the Type S screen in the TL-P board and re-soldered all 30 pins and just prayed that it would light up properly which, thank god it did...

Gear Display
This was an easy trick... The little bulbs on the circuit board are housed with rubber on the bottom. I used the TL-S housing which had 1-D5 spaces and I simply spread the N and the D4 bulbs apart and placed the housing over top, forcing the bulbs in the right slots and leaving the D5 cavity without a bulb. Only issue is that the one of the clips in the rear will not close 100% upon re-assembly (I can live with that)

Fuel and Heat gauges

After all the wires were done, I put the assembly (bare bones) back together to test and to only realize that the signal on the temp sensor was much higher than normal, i.e. when the car was cold, it showed about 1/8 temp and when the car was warmed up, it was almost past the H. I realized that the only solution was to adjust the signal (which was resistance) of the TL-P to match the Type S temp guage.

TCS / VSA

(I'll add this pic back in when I find it...)
The following 2 users liked this post by lithiumus:
GK03TL (10-13-2015), Win (10-31-2018)
Old 07-14-2012, 03:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
Now would be a great time to install "the switch" since the dash is off etc and wires are exposed.

The switch cuts off all speedometer activity etc.. if you dont get where im going with this then you wont need to know about it.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 AM
DIY Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by tOny3
Now would be a great time to install "the switch" since the dash is off etc and wires are exposed.

The switch cuts off all speedometer activity etc.. if you dont get where im going with this then you wont need to know about it.
Um, I did this project 7 years ago and sold the car 6 years ago...

I know what you are talking about and to do that you'd intercept the VSS signal BEFORE it reaches the instrument cluster.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
I think this looks awesome. My car would be great w this mod because it's white diamond pearl and I was looking to bring some white accents to the interior. Seems tedious like fixing a laptop but much more satisfying.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDave
I think this looks awesome. My car would be great w this mod because it's white diamond pearl and I was looking to bring some white accents to the interior. Seems tedious like fixing a laptop but much more satisfying.
But the gauges arent white, they are silver
Old 07-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
Damn. Looks white on my phone.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Any way we can get these pictures back? i just swapped an 03 base tl dash/cluster into my 1999 accord v6, (wired 03 tl cluster pigtails into accord wiring harness) everything works except d4 light, outside temp, fuel gauge, and temp shoots to the top like op says his does on first page. im guessing if i plug in a 99 tl cluster everything should work fine? i still wanna swap in the type s cluster or at least just the faces if possible

i know im bumping an old thread, but at least i searched to find it

Quick Reply: TL Type S guage cluster retrofit into a 99 TL-P (revised)