sticky pedal? erratic high-RPM in park after daily driving? throttle cable tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 01:13 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
sticky pedal? erratic high-RPM in park after daily driving? throttle cable tips

hi guys,

so after having replaced my TB and resonator, and finally being able to experience the car my father purchased originally, i began to nitpick my drive experience.

*enter stage left, throttle cable*

now, i know some people have recommended that, if your pedal feels sticky/hard, to lubricate the cable.
  • i had tried wd40, and it worked great for a day, but then the pedal got hard again.
    • additional attempts to use it were futile, as it seemed the optimal experience was the first one.
  • with super-lube, you have to be careful. i used too much in a syringe and it worked great originally, but the cable kind of got stuck after it sat and ran down the cable (i used like 10mL lol. i wanted this to be a one-time thing)
    • after using some rubbing alcohol, wd40 and compressed air to repair the clog, the pedal went back to being its original hardness that made me embark on the experience mentioned above

so i decided to spring for a throttle cable, no thanks to the south-side local dealership who have now stopped taking my calls because of my personal choices.
  • like, literally stopped answering. straight to voicemail during working hours rofl.
    • originally i think it was just out of spite, as i'm sure some of them frequent this forum and see how much i've been able to accomplish on my own (with no small part of the credit owed to those who share their knowledge over the internet--thank you!)
      • but i realised many of the salesmen are mussulman so it wouldn't be surprising if the original owner of the dealership (dave king, some rando from the motherland [UK]) sold it it to an "economic migrant".
        • i should emphasise that, when it came to the south-side dealership's *service manager* Fab and his staff, they have been nothing but SUPERB when i *did* take my car for service there (last one was prob 10 years ago tho)
        • (and i will continue to give him praise, as he did great work on my car when i was still in school. thanks Fab, your team played a part in making me love my honda)
      • i had to call the wheaton honda dealership, which i should have done in the first place.

anyways, after installing the new cable i can say for sure that if you're able: replace the cable! don't even waste time trying to lube the hell out of it! just not worth it!