SRS DTC 10-2 (Driver's side airbag deployed) question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:11 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
SRS DTC 10-2 (Driver's side airbag deployed) question

hi guys,

so with my other problems fixed, i finally got around to trying to reset the SRS light.

the MES method does not work. as some who have experienced my issue have reported, after the light turns on the second time (and then turns off), i do not get two blinks, but rather the solid SRS.

i understand that some people have said the SRS unit may have to be replaced, but i do not think there is an issue with it since the only code i am getting (and expected) is 10-2.

my dilemma is regarding how to fix the issue: surely a dealer with the HDS/PGM tester can reset/re-calibrate the SRS unit after the side airbag module has been replaced? in my case, the light has been on for some time and i only got around to replacing the bag a couple of months ago.

i want to be sure that the dealer isn't going to give me the lazy answer of "you need to replace the module", as i see many people are offering the service to reset one for approximately 40 dollars.
  • very tempted to go to the salvage yard but i am having a hard time believing that any of those units would be 'clean'. it's possible that one of them is, but there's still a risk i'm taking by trying to find a clean one.
given that i have another issue i'd like the dealer to inspect (non-working automatic window feature), i think the diagnosis fee would make sense in my situation.

can any of you share any experiences with respect to the side airbag deployment and how you managed to get it reset?

thx
Old 06-01-2017, 06:41 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

fixed.

replaced the SRS unit and ran the DTC reset, and voila no more SRS light.

the local Pick N Pull have two TLs with unused SRS units (that is, uncrashed).

both TLs at buck's auto were crashed, but i should mention that one was a 2003 A Spec with the spoiler and 18" wheels intact, and another 04-08 body with the stock wheels.

i was really tempted to yank the spoiler from the A spec but i decided not to (same with the wheels), as i saw a "turkish festival edmonton" card on the floor which made me exercise some personal discretion pertaining to a personal choice of mine.

whoever is in edmonton and wants that spoiler (it's really nice. it has turn signals on each end), i would recommend they run over and pull it and the wheels (either the 04 stock or 03 aspec wheels are nice).

it was simply too good to be true for me to take them without having an internal conflict about who potentially may have owned that vehicle previously.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:43 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

as an aside:
i find it overkill that the SRS unit needs to be replaced when the side airbag goes off, especially when people are resetting them for 40 dollars on ebay.
i wish i could have wasted less material and reset my own; whatever i'm happy the lights are gone!