something wrong with my dool locks!!!! please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
something wrong with my dool locks!!!! please help!

I recently aquired a used 2001 acura tl. There are some minor issuse i am workng on currently but one in general cant fnd any infornation about. Our second generation cars don't have auto door lock, yet every time i close the drivers door with the key in the ignition the doors lock, unlock, theb lock again. I know something isn't right i i would really appreciate any help. It is only the drivers door no other doors and i thought tha this car would try to prevent a lock out not intentionally lock you out lol. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Im thinking maybe the multiplex unit? Im competley stumped it, is so wierd it only does it when i shut the drivers door and the key is in the ignition. All four doors lock, unlock, then lock again. So anytime i get out of the car i have to leave my window down a crack or take the keys. I locked myself out once i will not do it again i now carry an extra key in my wallet. I really want this fixed though, its driving me nuts.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's weird. Is there a setting to lock the doors when the car goes to drive (the gear i mean))?

That's the only thing that comes to mind.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Advanced

No the second gen cars have no auto lock features, lol it is driving me nuts! I actually just searched multiplex and found a couple threads i have been searching around for the last two weeks and i finally found something
Old 11-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Is your door "idiot light" on all the time?

Most systems that i know will not allow you to lock yourself out....
Old 11-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Advanced

I know thats what im saying i think the multiplex unit is malfunctioning or something because it is definetly not normal it should do the exact opposite
Old 11-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Advanced

I absolutley love my car but it is really really annoying
Old 11-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Oh and no idiot light only when the door is actually open
Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Instructor

I'm out of ideas. Hopefully Skirmich has a thought.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Does the car have an aftermarket security system ?

Check all the misc components in the driver's door.....such as the inner lock switch, the door key cylinder switch, the lock actuator and knob pin. Could be shorted wiring or a poor connection.

Has there been any other issues or signs of gremlins ? Any recent ignition switch work ? Any electronic mods ? Good luck !!!
Old 11-18-2013, 02:03 AM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Is there a troubleshooting procedure in the factory service manual?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Yeah, there should be something in the "FSM" about checking the PDL and the multiplex system. Even some electrical schematics, too !!!
Old 11-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Thank you for all of your suggestions i actually just "aquired a copy of the tl factory service manual. I have been looking through it but i will be sure to check out the section about the multiplex unit. Also i didnt know there was all those switches in the drivers door i will pop the panel off to investigate. I am new to this car and honestly it is the newest car ive ever owned so there is a lot more electronic switches, sensors, solenoids than am used too but i am a pretty good self taught mechanic so im sure i will figure it out. But any and all other suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciate
Old 03-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Not trying to bump an old thread but i figured out the problem I was having. So, i was going through everything on the door. Checking all the switches for continuity and all connections. i finally got frustrated and when i was putting it back together i noticed that the plug that goes from my lock knob to the actuator wasn't clicking in place. after further investigation i noticed two seals in the plug. so i pulled one out and it clicked in and works flawlessly now. now i know that isn't going to be everyones problem but you can go from there and make sure that the knob switch is working by checking continuity and also the cylinder lock switch. hopefully this helps someone i really could've used this six months ago when the problem first arose.
The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (03-08-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
Glad to hear its all good and you posted the fix thanks.

There is an auto lock but only when you unlock with the remote after 30 seconds I believe, it locks it self automatically.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Right, the only time it should auto lock is when you unlock it and don't open a door for 30 seconds. if it is auto locking on you there is a problem with one of the sensors or communication between them somewhere. the car is designed not to let you lock yourself out which is why i was so confused for so long. in my situation the multiplex unit was unable to tell if my lock knob was up or down causing it to cycle the locks when you shut the drivers door with the key in the ignition. it would always cycle them and stop in the locked position, so, i always had to turn off my car or roll down a window so i could get back in. also, the alarm would go off sometimes when i shut the drivers door and reopened it, because the car didn't know if it was locked or not. now everything works great!! i'm really, really happy that i figured this problem out, it was driving me nuts, lol. now when i press unlock the interior light comes on which it didn't do before i guess since it didn't really know the car was unlocked. anyway if anyone has any questions about this issue you can ask me here or pm me either way i will be glad to help troubleshoot the issue.