So I washed the car, but still have waterspots

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I washed the car, but still have waterspots

I washed the car in dawn and car wash soap, and still see water spots. Do I need to use vinegar to remove them? I dried it well so it's not from it sitting there, but more from acid rain I am guessing. Or will the clay bar remove the water spots from the windows, etc...?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 11:10 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

WOW, let's keep the kitchen stuff in the kitchen. Dawn, vinegar what's next, butter as break fluid?

There is a chance that the claybar will remove the waterspots, they are on the surface. Another method would be to use a good "all in one" cleaner, polisher and portector on the paint's surface.

A highly reccomended one is Klasse AIO, it has a cleaner in to to help remove waterspots, light swirls. It also has a polish in it, which will bring the depth and clarity out of the colour. And to make the AIO (all in one) complete, it has a great layer of sealant that will protect the surface from general "wear and tear" of everyday driving, keeping it looking great for months and months.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:18 AM
TL-S driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, one thing you did do was strip your wax by using Dawn so I hope you waxed your car after you washed, otherwise your leaving your paint exposed to the elements with little or no protection. Wash the car again, clay it, wash it again with CAR WASH SOAP and then wax it. that should take care of the problem. You probably have hard water and that usually leaves hard core spots.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Peach Tea

yea water spots suck. i had a lot before i clayed and now i don't see any.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldTL
I washed the car in dawn and car wash soap, and still see water spots. Do I need to use vinegar to remove them? I dried it well so it's not from it sitting there, but more from acid rain I am guessing. Or will the clay bar remove the water spots from the windows, etc...?

Thanks
For the windows just use windex and newspapers after you wash to clean them. Its an old detailers secret.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:30 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try the new Mr.Clean car wash system, this works great! The easiest way to wash your car and no water spots! If you have wet pots and want to get them out, try JetDry (dishwasher solution), this stuff works great.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC11
For the windows just use windex and newspapers after you wash to clean them. Its an old detailers secret.

"old" like before the days of tints, windex has ammonia in it, that will turn your tints purple! The newspaper is supposed to be good, because of the ink in the paper, but I would rather wipe the windows with a microfiber towel and put a coat of "high-end" carnuba paste wax, nothing could beat that, the rain practically runs away from your winshield!
Old 08-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Racer

actually, quite a few detailers use vinegar to get out water spots on glass. I've never heard of anyone use it on paint so I'd stay away from that. Also, I'd stick with something like Stoner's glass and a micorfiber to clean your windows, especially if you've got tint. you can also use #000 steel wool if you want to get the waterspots from your windows

a clay bar should work to get the waterspots out off your paint. If they've etched badly, you may need to buff them out, but I'd try to the clay and something like Klase AIO first. No point in removing a bit of clearcoat for nothing.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Racer

sorry guys , I should been more specific. I washed the car in dawn soap, clayed it, polished it, and waxed it. The paint looks great, but the water spots are on the windows, and I already tried windex (have no tint on them) and eagle one. I also clayed the windows, and nothing helped. I still have water spots. I may try the vinegar.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by goldendragon576
well, one thing you did do was strip your wax by using Dawn so I hope you waxed your car after you washed .
Just so everyone knows, dawn won't strip all waxes, just zaino and maybe some other ones. Zaino are the ones who said to use dawn to strip all wax but apparently it's not true (found this out on the bmw forums, they're more serious about washing their cars than most TLers).
Old 08-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
"old" like before the days of tints, windex has ammonia in it, that will turn your tints purple! The newspaper is supposed to be good, because of the ink in the paper, but I would rather wipe the windows with a microfiber towel and put a coat of "high-end" carnuba paste wax, nothing could beat that, the rain practically runs away from your winshield!
RF I meant the windex for the outside of the window, where the tints arn't put on. That's a good idea on the carnuba on the windows. Although does it leave any kind of haze on the window?
Old 08-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GoldTL
sorry guys , I should been more specific. I washed the car in dawn soap, clayed it, polished it, and waxed it. The paint looks great, but the water spots are on the windows, and I already tried windex (have no tint on them) and eagle one. I also clayed the windows, and nothing helped. I still have water spots. I may try the vinegar.
that must be some water spots. Do you have a pic?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Racer

i will take some pics as soon as I can, i don't have a camera. The water spots are only noticeable when you look at the window close up or at an angle. From a slight distance you would never be able to tell. I think they were definitely there when I got the car. its a 2001 and i go tit about 3 weeks ago.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC11
RF I meant the windex for the outside of the window, where the tints arn't put on. That's a good idea on the carnuba on the windows. Although does it leave any kind of haze on the window?

I've heard of many types leaving a streak where the wiper ends but I've found that Meguiars #16 paste wax is great for the windows and it leaves no streak at the end of the wiper.