Should I Buy These Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I Buy These Parts?

Okay so I'm still somewhat new to this forum, in the sense that I have not posted much, but hav done some research abroad. We've all seen the "too good to be true" parts being sold on eBay for next to nothing. Now comes my question, should I trust buying parts such as brake rotor/pad sets, header/exhaust/muffler mods, gaskets of any kind for the motor, suspension, ANY PARTS :-((

The prices are very luring as I've already purchased a 14 piece front suspension kit.. Installing said kit in the next week or so.. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!

But again, are these parts worth the buy? I love my Acura and 225k miles is about the turning point for new parts
Old 03-17-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
For example engine mounts?
I think its simply too risky.. While they can be good more than often they can be crap and the LABOR for changing those is quite expensive if the shop knows what hes getting into, Specially the rear engine mount. If you are DIY they can be quite good in a pinch for example if they are all gone? They can be good but I would not expect them to last very long.

Suspension Parts?
AVOID Dangerous Items.. Tie Rods, Ball Joints, etc they are all a ROYAL NO GO.
Bushings, Sway Bar link and some other miscellaneous items can work but I would not try it.

Brake Parts?
Rotors, Expect them to warp as little as a week. Brake Pads? They will be shit. This is the kind of thing you know its going to be crap from the get go.. Don't get me wrong they will work for sure to stop the car.. But they wont last long and they wont resist brake fade at all.

So in short...
You will be paying more in the long run by skipping the OEM Parts & Good Aftermarket Parts.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
For example engine mounts?
I think its simply too risky.. While they can be good more than often they can be crap and the LABOR for changing those is quite expensive if the shop knows what hes getting into, Specially the rear engine mount. If you are DIY they can be quite good in a pinch for example if they are all gone? They can be good but I would not expect them to last very long.

Suspension Parts?
AVOID Dangerous Items.. Tie Rods, Ball Joints, etc they are all a ROYAL NO GO.
Bushings, Sway Bar link and some other miscellaneous items can work but I would not try it.

Brake Parts?
Rotors, Expect them to warp as little as a week. Brake Pads? They will be shit. This is the kind of thing you know its going to be crap from the get go.. Don't get me wrong they will work for sure to stop the car.. But they wont last long and they wont resist brake fade at all.

So in short...
You will be paying more in the long run by skipping the OEM Parts & Good Aftermarket Parts.
You're going to hate me for this...
But I've already purchased a 12 or 14 piece kit for my front end. You're saying I shouldn't replace it with the parts already bought? They seem to be of the same grade steel and construction, good seals on the bushings and whatnot. But if you're saying it's not all it seems to be, I'd take your word, being the wise zinner you are
Old 03-18-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
I would think that for the price those are parts that didnt pass QC.. They are simply too cheap for my taste and Since those are parts that will literally make the front end together its a wild card... They can be good? But I dunno man.. Its your life I guess.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:50 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
So just to clarify, the issue is cheap knock off parts, not eBay. You can buy OEM parts on eBay. You can buy crap parts elsewhere.

I got a cheap set of engine mounts from Amazon, around $100 for all five mounts. I've had them in there a few months and I am now switching to OEM mounts (front/rear) because my car shakes so bad at idle.

I do all my own work on my cars (engine mounts, struts, brakes, timing belt, etc) and I have reached the breaking point with crappy aftermarket parts. Cheap parts in most cases are simply not worth it, because they don't last and many times they don't fit correctly. You will spend 10x the amount of time putting a part in that doesn't fit. And when it breaks you'll have to do it all over again.