screw size length for 3/4 MDF" spacer+bose bracket for 6.5 front door speaker swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:02 AM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
screw size length for 3/4 MDF" spacer+bose bracket for 6.5 front door speaker swap

sorry for repost, but since the mods haven't gotten back to my request to move this, i wanted to post again (so sorry) in the desired forum.

Originally Posted by drtoth
hi guys,

so i managed to properly cut the speaker basket/bracket from the stock bose speakers, and i have a question about how to secure the speaker+basket+spacer into the door.
first, here is a pic as i await my 3/4 MDF spacer:

1. is the stock 4x30 screw long enough to go through the MDF spacer+basket and into the door?
    • if not, can you guys please recommend the screws that are of sufficient length such that they can go through the spacer/basket and into the stock holes?
    • surely if the stock 4x30 screws aren't long enough to go through the spacer+basket+door, then i need two types of screws (??):
      1. one type to secure the speaker into the MDF,
      2. another type to secure the MDF through the speaker basket screw holes/spots and into the stock 3 holes
  2. for one of my speaker baskets/adapters, the screw holes are sort of gone. while i can easily get another bracket and cut them again, this doesn't seem to be a problem since the speaker/mdf is "above" the basket holes and thus the main priority is to ensure there is a "clear path" to the stock screw holes on the door (which is the case)
    • please correct me if this is wrong.
  3. i read the original howto thread here: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-v...eakers-286546/ but i don't think that's exactly the issue here?
    • he is just suggesting that the bore of the spacer holes that guide the speaker/MDF into the door should be slightly larger than the diameter of the screws used to secure them in the hole, right?

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. i'm happy that i managed to get the baskets to fit, and with the MDF spacer it seems to be perfect. the last concern is properly screwing the speakers to the spacer/basket/door.

thx
Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
I would attach spacer to door with og screw and use another screw to attach speaker to spacer.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:22 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I would attach spacer to door with og screw and use another screw to attach speaker to spacer.
thanks for the tips man.
hoping these cutting dremel cutting wheels will work (they should, but still this metal didn't seem flimsy).

btw: after enlargening the hole to make the 6.5"s fit, did you manage to retain the normal screw holes?

or put another way: is it possible to retain the stock screw holes in the door for the speaker bracket, after enlargening the hole for the basket of teh 6.5" speaker?

thx
Old 05-29-2017, 07:46 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

also thoiboi: is there enough clearance for the 3/4MDF spacer on top of the speaker bracket that protrudes over the screw holes?

i assume so, but man it seems close! (i didn't put the door over the speaker after making the hole larger, gonna let my pro buddy do that).

also for anyone wanting to use a dremel to cut the speaker holes larger: have at _least_ 10 cutting wheels--five per side. that's a mild estimate too. if you want to be prepared, have 15.

i think i went through about 10 since they deteriorate reasonably fast given the type of metal you're cutting.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:44 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

bump.

heads up for everyone who is interested in installing 6.5" speakers with a 3/4" MDF spacer: the speaker hole must be cut such that the stock plastic bracket's ring can fit inside and the MDF spacer is flush with the door metal.

just thought i'd give any interested modder this valuable heads up, as my buddies at A P E automotive and myself could not get the speaker to clear the door panel (even with trimming the plastic ring on the door that sits around the bose paper cup speakers) using the three stock screw holes and the ring around the plastic spacer (even though it mounted correctly).

only solution is to scrounge the approximately ~1/2" raised from the plastic bracket by either not using it, or making sure it fits inside.

hope this helps!