Recommendations for a good transmission shop near Mountain View, CA?

Old 11-28-2013, 04:12 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for a good transmission shop near Mountain View, CA?

Well... that's that transmission done. Had the CEL and TCS light come on together about a week or two ago. Car was shifting smoothly at that point, but started revving with no traction at speed and then a delay between selecting reverse and the gear actually engaging. Was driving on the freeway tonight and tried to accelerate, and the motor made it all the way to around 4500 rpm without downshifting. Then smoke came pouring out of the engine bay along with the smell of burning trans fluid.

Managed to limp the car the 150 yards to an offramp and a safe spot to get towed from. Got out to look and there is trans fluid all over the front driver's side wheel well and back tire. It was leaking fluid from under the car, though I couldn't find exactly where the smoke was coming from. Hour and a half wait and $175 to get towed the 20 miles home too.

Pity I didn't read about the trans problems before I bought this car. I've owned an integra, a legend and an RL before and guess I lucked out not having any problems. That said, I think this trans is cooked. Have to wait until Friday to start looking at whether to repair, replace or AV6 swap. Personally am leaning towards the AV6 swap, but it will really depend on whether I can find a decently priced low mileage unit here in the bay area FAST. Also there is the matter of finding a competent shop to do the swap for me.

All that said, I need some help. Anyone know of a good shop that specializes in gen 2 trannys in or near Mountain View, CA? I really need to get back on the road fast, so as much as I'd like to wait and shop around for a good AV6, I'd be willing to compromise and just do a rebuild (if possible, the thing was SMOKING after all so may not be worth rebuilding) if anyone knows a good shop I can trust.

Please help!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
The leaking tranny fluid will smoke when it comes in contact with something hot.
Try to isolate the source of the leak. Low fluid will cause the tranny to do strange stuff.

For recommendations of a shop, check the regional forum for your specific area.
Ya may want to call around to some of the local independent tranny shops near you or even possibly an import specialty speed shop.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
I like Japanese Beetle in Sunnyvale, but they will not put in an Accord AT and also warranty it. They will recommend a rebuilt unit for about $3500 total...

There's also word of a 'Russian' guy in the Mountain View area that's supposed to be good, but I never went there....
Old 11-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Eurotrash

I believe the place in Mt Vw is Kaloci & Sons. They used to get very good reviews. (Never been there myself)
Old 12-03-2013, 07:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation Tosh, the "russian guy" is vladimir at Independence Acura repair on Old Middlefield. I just went there today to talk to the guy. I brought up the AV6 swap and he's open to the idea.

He priced a rebuilt TL transmission at ~$2600, a used un-rebuilt AV6 at ~$3000 and a rebuilt AV6 at ~3500. So spot on for the estimate.

I also checked with Felix Auto and Sunnyvale Foreign Car Service. Felix said they'd call back and never did. A guy named Pete from SFCS called me back and said that they'd charge $5700 for a Honda factory rebuilt TL transmission. Little too pricey for me, but Pete was super cool and recommended that before I brought my car to a shop I should call Acura and see if they might be willing to swing a goodwill discount or something like that. I called Stevens Creek Acura and they basically told me to go screw myself.

I think I'm gonna go with Independence Acura because not only do I like their prices, but I also like the guy that runs that shop. He's honest, straightforward and he's up front about where he's padding his pricing.

Now the only thing I have to decide is which transmission to go with. Any thoughts?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Eurotrash

Good leg work! What model TL is yours?
Where is Vlad padding his prices? I would want a used AV6 (if your car will work with that), but those are supposed to be below $1000 for the transmission itself, so I suppose I answered my own Q?

Yeah, Stevens Creek Acura is worthless these days. Back in ~'04-05 there used to be a service writer who was very generous, but now you get the shaft...
Old 12-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try SML Auto Perfomaces, Joe
1298 E St John St,San Jose, CA 95116

(408) 295-9181

He rebuilt my Tranny for $1800 with cooler installed. Make sure you buy your own Hydraulic motor mount if it needs replacement. I would replace 3rd and 4th gear pressure switch while you are at it.