Rear Fog Lights, updated pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Rear Fog Lights, updated pics

Well, finally got around to it and started the temporary setup for my rear fog light project. I just need to hide the wiring, but this is the look i was hoping for.

Essentially remove the existing 7443 bulbs from the inner brake/running light section of the housing and the h11 5000K HID bulbs turn and click right into the bulb slots on the housing. Simply wire up the pos/neg from the ballasts to a separate switch and relay up front. This is a $56 shipped H11 HID Kit from ebay.

These ad hoc rear fogs are very bright, my Palm Centro camera does a so/so job of capturing this, but trust me, they are very bright red. The rear fogs will ONLY be used during heavy fog or heavy rain/snow, not for driving around with them on all the time. Basically anytime there is low visibility.

If you are not familiar with rear fogs, do a google search. This is a common safety feature on many European cars. Some have one light, some have two..I decided to do two lights. If you decide to do one, it is typically mounted on the side of car behind the driver. So for US, left side..in right hand drive countries, the right side, etc.

The brake lights/running lights will still work, just only on the outer panel of each housing. That is the only downside is that I now only have two brake lights instead of four. I have also considered just getting some red tint or red spray for the existing back up lights and mount these there to keep all four brakelights, but i would lose backup lights. Or, just do a single rear fog on the left in the backup light with red tint on housing and just use the right side as the backup light. This solution is simple, so I can mess around with it.

Here are the pics.

Regular lights are on in the outer position, rear HID fogs on in the inner section for comparison of brightness.

Left side

Right Side

Here is my car along with Phee's so you can see how much brighter the HID fogs will be than just running lights alone.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:05 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
That's a sexy car. The white one looks good too
Old 08-22-2009, 10:08 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Old 08-22-2009, 10:59 AM
SC TL to RS4 to 911

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad you finally came around and did it... can't wait to see it!
Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 AM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Who is this jitty guy? Is this the guy that used to run around with the atlzine guys?

Looking good man. How ya been?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
pretty sure way to get pulled over for what the cop thinks are your brake lights stuck on! no kidding,,
usa has no rear fog spec that I am aware of- if there is a DOT please link

I dont know about europeans except they understand side mounted turn signals and roundabouts,,
have doubt americans would understand the side mounting of a `fog light`..
BUT
on usa semi trucks they use superbright LED strips and lights, I live in a severe fog area and a well lit truck can be seen thru dense fog over 1/2 mile ahead, and in slightly better conditions up to a mile or more away!
First time I saw one that well lit had to check into them~
Truck repair shops- even NAPA auto parts- carry a large selection of LED lights you could easily add to the lower bumper and lower siderails of the car pretty easy and run off a seperate power switch
Make it look like a semi going down the road!
Working on my bike with LEDs to make it appear larger than it is, visable at a greater distance to cagers
(thats bike term for car drivers--trapped in a cage)
Old 08-22-2009, 11:46 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Like uncle jitty said. "these would only be turned on during low visibility situations"
Old 08-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Ackniculous One

Tom, I can appreciate your comment. It isn't common knowledge to most folks, but all newer US spec Audi's, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rovers, Volvo's and even the older Oldsmobile Aurora vehicles have Rear Fogs. There are some other cars also. The only US made car that has them is the Olds Aurora, they are on the rear bumper. I see cars with their rear fogs on all the time. In fact, Joe in our Azine crew who also has an Audi RS4 showed me his rear fogs. There are some BMW owners here that can confirm they have them as well. BUt to your point, I am pretty sure there is no requirement to have them here in the US, but it is permitted.

Remember, the rear fogs on those cars and mine, are not supposed to be driving on with them all the time, only during times when visibility is poor. Sure, my car did not come with them from factory, but I'm not worried about getting pulled over in a heavy downpour when these are on. I know here in ATL when the weather is bad and folks that have these on their cars and know how to use them, they are very effective for providing visibility to other drivers.

Not a definitive source, but here is some info from Wikipedia:

"In Europe and other countries adhering to ECE Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps" (or "fog taillamps"), which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be energised by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to enhance vehicle conspicuity from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candelas,[15] which is within the range of a U.S. brake lamp.[5] For this reason, some European vehicles[which?] imported to the United States have their rear fog lamps wired as brake lamps, since their European-specification brake lamps may not be sufficiently intense to comply with U.S. regulations, and in North America rear fog lamps are not required equipment. However, they are permitted, and are found almost exclusively on European-brand vehicles in North America — Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, MINI, Land Rover, Saab and Volvo provide functional rear fog lights on their North American models. The final generation Oldsmobile Aurora also had dual rear fog lights installed in the rear bumper as standard equipment.

Most jurisdictions permit rear fog lamps to be installed either singly or in pairs. If a single rear fog is fitted, most jurisdictions require it to be located at or to the driver's side of the vehicle's centreline — whichever side is the prevailing driver's side in the country in which the vehicle is registered.[15] This is to maximise the sight line of following drivers to the rear fog lamp. If two rear fog lamps are fitted, they must be symmetrical with respect to the vehicle's centreline.[15] Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp. Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated brake lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the brake lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated. To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with brake lamps, ECE R48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any brake lamp and any rear fog lamp.[15]"

source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...Rear_fog_lamps

Last edited by CJITTY; 08-22-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
Who is this jitty guy? Is this the guy that used to run around with the atlzine guys?

Looking good man. How ya been?
LOL..biz travel man, but all is good! I still want to be in the ATL Crew
Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
pretty sure way to get pulled over for what the cop thinks are your brake lights stuck on! no kidding
Just to clarify, these will have their own separate switch and when I brake, the outer panel of my tails will illuminate normally along with the third brake light, so my brake lights are not impacted other than reducing from 4 bulbs (2 each side) to 2 (one each side). Plenty of cars have single brake lights on each side, so nothing out of the ordinary there
Old 08-22-2009, 01:02 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh man, if we tatted our member numbers, you're in the single digits. No sweat though, we've only been through a couple hundred pages on the wall since youve been out. Not much catching up to do!
Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Looks goood!

Any night pics?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:31 PM
(ಠДಠ)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pretty sure way to get pulled over for what the cop thinks are your brake lights stuck on! no kidding,,
usa has no rear fog spec that I am aware of- if there is a DOT please link

I dont know about europeans except they understand side mounted turn signals and roundabouts,,
have doubt americans would understand the side mounting of a `fog light`..
BUT
on usa semi trucks they use superbright LED strips and lights, I live in a severe fog area and a well lit truck can be seen thru dense fog over 1/2 mile ahead, and in slightly better conditions up to a mile or more away!
First time I saw one that well lit had to check into them~
Truck repair shops- even NAPA auto parts- carry a large selection of LED lights you could easily add to the lower bumper and lower siderails of the car pretty easy and run off a seperate power switch
Make it look like a semi going down the road!

Working on my bike with LEDs to make it appear larger than it is, visable at a greater distance to cagers
(thats bike term for car drivers--trapped in a cage)

Would you really get pulled over? I've seen mini's and bimmer's with their rear fogs on in broad daylight in cali.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I was unaware of the usa catching up to EU standards- finally!! I am corrected but doesnt the wiki say say same brightness as brake lights?
or did I miss a pic with brakes on too?

If wired properly and used when appropriate- it appears to be no problem

I am all for more tail lighting in bad weather,,our fog is pea soup- zero feet visabilty,,cant see the end of the hood...cant expect an idiot going 70 into the fog bank to see and slow for you,,,give them a big source of light to notice,,as long as it doesnt reflect so much light into the fog that its blinding instead of helping

At the track, formula cars that dont have a normal brake light must have a `rain light` on the rear so other cars can see you in bad conditions
Old 08-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vedy nice vedy nice
Old 08-23-2009, 02:24 AM
Ackniculous One

I think the wiki said they would just wire them up as brake light on european cars coming over as us spec but I know they can easily be activated..my friend did it on his Volks GTI. i'm pretty sure that on the newer bmw's and for sure the audi's that the rear fog is nearly twice as bright as the brake lights. I liked Tom's idea on the red led strip, but I wanted a completely removable and quick solution with oem look. sometimes I wonder if I might just try using just the left side only installed in the backup light section with red film tint just on that section. keep the pass side clear with reg backup bulb. that way, I got all 4 brake/running light bulbs in and the rear fog is more noticeable not next to other red lights. i'll play around with it, see what I finally decide. this solution is very flexible
Old 08-23-2009, 02:26 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
great job on the setup... i think you should leave it like it is if possible
Old 08-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Ackniculous One

^^^ Thanks, I'm with you on that, i like the way it looks. One issue I forgot to mention, since there is no brake light bulb in that inner section now, it reads BRAKE LAMP warning light on dash. I guess the fix for that is to put the bulb back in the connector and just keep it out the housing..or figure out a way to make a circuit loop on the connector so I can get rid of the warning light. I don't want to leave the bulb in the connector and having it sitting in between the housing and liner...
Old 08-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Ackniculous One

I was unaware of the usa catching up to EU standards- finally!! I am corrected but doesnt the wiki say say same brightness as brake lights?
or did I miss a pic with brakes on too?

If wired properly and used when appropriate- it appears to be no problem

I am all for more tail lighting in bad weather,,our fog is pea soup- zero feet visabilty,,cant see the end of the hood...cant expect an idiot going 70 into the fog bank to see and slow for you,,,give them a big source of light to notice,,as long as it doesnt reflect so much light into the fog that its blinding instead of helping

At the track, formula cars that dont have a normal brake light must have a `rain light` on the rear so other cars can see you in bad conditions
I have always wondered why American car companies and quite frankly other import cars here in the US don't have this feature as a standard item. I think it really makes a big difference. I have been wanting to do this since I lived in Colorado and driving through some ridiculous snow storms. Sometimes you get caught on the road in a storm and even with flashers, it is hard to see cars. I guess the thought is folks don't know how to use them properly. On my way to work most mornings, there is a guy in a benz who always has his rear fogs on, the switch usually consists of turning the knob to the left and then you have to pull the switch out to activate the rear fog, so either he is intentionally doing that or just thinks thats how you turn on the fogs in general. I don't know of any car that has rear fogs to where you can operate them independently without the headlights and front fogs on.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
Looks goood!

Any night pics?
Lemme get some for you, need to remember to do that
Old 08-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Acura Vet

It will be night here in GA soon Chris ( Only 6 hours to go!) I expect to see pics up by 9:30. P.M. LOL! Great set up Sir.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Safety Car

i cant speak for the rest of europe, but here in the UK, we require one fog light on all cars made after 1981. it either has to be on the right side or on both. never just the left side. my tl-s has one too. but i just took out one reverse light and wired in a 13 led replacment bulb.. though they dont really do any good during the times of fog you would really need it. looks good tho. thats exactly how they are done here in england.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Safety Car

put a 12v 25w (or how ever many watts the bulbs are) resister in the socket on each side, and the light should go away..
Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 PM
6MT Someday..

looks good man! leave it like it is
Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Needs wheels

itsabout time
Old 08-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Ackniculous One

Updated with night videos

Well, the night pics didn't work out so I decided to shoot some quick videos with these HID rear fogs.

Video
HID rear fogs from far then close up:
http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=HPIM1170.flv

Video
HID rear fogs close up:
http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=HPIM1168.flv

Last edited by CJITTY; 08-24-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Ackniculous One

Video
HID Fogs with brake lights on

http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=HPIM1168.flv
Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Ackniculous One

Video
HID Rear Fogs with no brake lights
http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=HPIM1169.flv
Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Needs wheels

is it easy to tell when your brakes are on? it's hard to tell in the vids
Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Interesting mod. I remember the rear fog light switch on my parent's Volvos. I didn't see much difference turning them on at night (when I stood behind the car ...) But I understand the utility of such a light in low visibility situations.

It's a shame this isn't 'standard' on most vehicles. I'm sure people in the Bay Area / Vancouver or other places with fog being a common problem would appreciate this safety feature.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by godizus
is it easy to tell when your brakes are on? it's hard to tell in the vids
Yeah, the camera i got is sub par, so its hard to see, but you can tell in person. The glare the camera is showing is really messing up how it looks. If i had an LED spolier brake light, it would be really easy to tell, but with my dark tint, the 3rd brake light might as well be a screen door on a submarine.