AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Questions regarding Engine Mounts... (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/questions-regarding-engine-mounts-971338/)

johnny14 07-07-2018 01:54 AM

Questions regarding Engine Mounts...

So it appears that my passenger side mount is bad again which was replaced a few years back with OEM. I actually ended up changing all of them while I was at it but considering how these dont last that long and is a common issue on these cars has anyone used anything other than OEM? Im debating if I want to try out the Oreilly PowerTorque mounts which have a lifetime warranty. Usually I would go OEM but considering how frequent these go bad going with something with lifetime warranty would make more sense if you ask me. Brings me to my next question is there a good way to verify if my fronts and rears are bad? Tranny ones are easy to verify but the front and rear is a bit harder to check physically. I would hate to swap out the side mount to have it go bad again due to one of the front or rear being bad. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for looking

SuperGreg 07-08-2018 01:10 AM

I tried some cheap aftermarket mounts (the kind you see on Amazon or eBay for like $120 for all five mounts) and have decided to never go non-OEM for the mounts. Vibration was terrible. Already replaced the front mount with OEM, have the rear OEM replacement in a box ready to go when I have the time.

johnny14 07-10-2018 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SuperGreg (Post 16260501)
I tried some cheap aftermarket mounts (the kind you see on Amazon or eBay for like $120 for all five mounts) and have decided to never go non-OEM for the mounts. Vibration was terrible. Already replaced the front mount with OEM, have the rear OEM replacement in a box ready to go when I have the time.

thank you for the response. I just replaced these mount a few years back and just sucks that they went out again. Known issue with these cars and others that share the same engine so was thinking of going aftermarket with lifetime warranty on them but you are right can’t beat oem mounts.

losiglow 07-10-2018 11:15 AM

I used Anchor mounts on my 4G and have been pleased so far. They've been on for about a year. I researched them pretty well beforehand and it seems they're pretty well versed in it. All they do are mounts - engine and transmission. I read on a few forums that they're the OEM manufacturer for some vehicles (not sure about Honda's though).

I ordered mine from Rockauto.

bigcocoon 07-10-2018 04:57 PM

OEM? Where to purchase? Cost? Need to replace on 1999 TL. First time.

SuperGreg 07-11-2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by bigcocoon (Post 16261892)

If you want OEM, try hondapartsunlimited.com. When you find the part # you need, search on Amazon and many times it's cheaper plus Prime shipping. I found the OEM front mount on Amazon but not the rear.

johnny14 07-26-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by bigcocoon (Post 16261892)

Depends on what you are going for. OEM? Aftermarket? Are you DIY or are you paying someone? OEM can run over $100 close to $200 for just one mount. Mainly the Front and Rear will be closer to $200. You can find them cheaper if you shop around. Now if you are looking for aftermarket you can buy a complete set for like $50 on ebay. Labor can vary from a few hundred dollars. DIY theres alot out there to do it yourself if mechanically inclined. Hope this helps.

johnny14 07-26-2018 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SuperGreg (Post 16262291)
If you want OEM, try hondapartsunlimited.com. When you find the part # you need, search on Amazon and many times it's cheaper plus Prime shipping. I found the OEM front mount on Amazon but not the rear.

Thanks Greg. Ended up getting OEM up front and may go aftermarket for the rear not sure yet. I still havent removed both front and rear yet to see if they are even bad and needing replacing. Temps have been over 100 lately and no way am I going out there and working on the car in that heat! lol

Iggy 07-27-2018 11:06 AM

IMO, if you are doing mounts then the rear should absolutely be the one to have as an OEM mount. It does the most work and is mounted on the same bar as the steering rack. Aftermarket will translate more vibration through that bar to the steering rack and up into the steering wheel(high steering wheel vibration at idle). Also, you will find shifts are absorbed better with the OEM rear mount giving you less jarring during aggressive acceleration.

I had aftermarket both front and rear until I couldn't stand it anymore. I installed an OEM rear mount and it made all the difference in the world. Even with the aftermarket front, I'm happy.