Premium vs. Regular Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 12:04 PM

Question Premium vs. Regular Fuel

I know there's a performance drop-off when using regular, but is it really significant?
Is the premium fuel worth the extra $$$?
Also, I am leasing the car so I don't really care about the longevity of the car.

Old 03-10-2001, 12:29 PM

Thumbs down

Premium Gas is part of buying the car. If you cant make the sacrifice, you shouldnt have purchased it in the first place. Think about the next person who buys the car and not just your own lackadaisical attitude, shame on you.

------------------
Originally posted by Einstein:
"No torque for you!"

Old 03-10-2001, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOH!!

Same thoughts here.

------------------

1999 Firepepper Red
Under Body Kit/Rear Wing Spoiler/26 Piece Wood Grain Console/BurlWood Shift Knob/
30% Smoke Tint/Comptech Sways & Springs (not installed yet)

More Pics
Old 03-10-2001, 02:20 PM

Well, I bought the car more for it's ride and luxury than the performance. I am more interested in the comfort of the seats and features like heated seats than the amount of horsepower. And can you honestly tell me that you've never been selfish with your money? Would you spend extra $$ for premium fuel when it has no effect on your ride? You're going to put in the extra cash for the future buyer, right.

Old 03-10-2001, 02:43 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yo nitesh..
If you are leasing it, then I wouldn't car about it that much either. Its not so much a difference in performance, but it is how smoothly the car will run. Less hesitation, no knocking, etc... the TL is specifically designed for 92 grade gas. It is not an Accord which is made for regular.

I can't say for gas milage for sure but I would suspect that your gas milage will be adversly affected. With the cleaner burning gas. You will not have to fill up as often, and hence you will save money that way. Don't forget about maintenece too, the dirtier you engine, the more likely the changes that you will experience problems with it.

You can certainly use less expensive gas. I say that, try out lower grade gas for about 2 fillups and if the knocking, excessive noise while idling, and acceleration problems are acceptable for you, then go ahead.

------------------
Knowledge is potential, Action is power.
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Edub-TL on March 10, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-10-2001, 02:44 PM

Well if you F*** up the engine, you won't be going anywhere while you are sitting in your heated seats, and stuff. The car is designed to run with 92 gas. If i ever put even 89 i would kill myself. I would probebly sit there, suck the gas out of the gas tank, and fill it up with 92. Well to answer your question, 92 gas isn't only performance. Your car is designed for it, so you gotta use it.

Old 03-10-2001, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The way I hear it, is that the computer in the TL is set up for premium fuel, and by using regular the vehicle does not operate properly. In fact, this increases gas useage (read reduced gas mileage) and problems. Therefore, by using regular, you may cost yourself more in fuel. If you don't want to pay for premium, don't buy this car as stated earlier.
Old 03-10-2001, 03:10 PM
Instructor

isn't premium gas= 91 or up??? not 92 ... correct me if i am wrong.
Old 03-10-2001, 03:11 PM

Well, my dad has a BMW 540i which is leased as well. The first few fillups we tested both premium and regular. In my opinion, we don't see a big drop-off in terms of performance with the BMW. So if you think I'm being a cheapskate, it's not the case. If a $60,000 car runs fine on regular, I don't see why there should be a big problem with my Acura unless like some have stated that the TL has this special computer which only runs properly in premium. Can other people confirm this?

Old 03-10-2001, 03:32 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Man... a $60K car and regular put in it...
The Bimmer will run the same brand new.. but down the line, you will start to see some problems with it.

Don't take this the wrong way but many of us purchased our cars, and we have more of an investment in caring for it. Where if you have the money to throw away on a lease, you won't care as much what happens to the car.

Think of it like renting a house vs. buying one, if you don't own it, you probably won't want to do some nice landscaping, or making additions to it..

basically, keeping the value up..

------------------
</A>
Old 03-10-2001, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't listen to these gas snobs - they are the same ones who waste more money changing their Mobil1 oil every 3000 miles, not to mention putting undue stress on the environment.

Your owner's manual will tell you that the car can be operated on 89 octane with reduced performance. There's a computer that will sense what's being burned and adjust things accordingly. I use 93, but I also drive fast and hard.

If you wanna make your car last for a really long time (i.e. - over 100,000 miles), follow the maintenence schedule and don't drive your car like a sixteen-year-old boy. Simple, really...

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 03-10-2001, 03:46 PM

yeah, i think premium is start at 91 and up, shell is 91 and sunoco is 92 if i remember it right. The dealer told me mid grade gas is okay but i agree if it is a lease car , don't worry, but if u own the car, the extra $ is worth it.

Old 03-10-2001, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Here in Texas (Dallas), you can only get 87, 89 or 93. To be correct, you'd have to mix 89 and 93, but I'm too lazy!

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 03-10-2001, 04:04 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

I'm never going to buy a previously leased car..

Gomez, Thanks for the comment about the way you drive.. I forgot to mention that.
As for the needless stress on the environment, if you use the 87 gas, you will cause more pollution right??
Oil is done either with the dealer when I'm lazy or by myself and I recycle it. Don't assume that just becauase we care about our cars that we don't car about the environmet.. these are two seperate things.

If you drive like an old man leasing a car, its all good to use whatever you want, cool.

I don't, I like to drive fast and push it when I can. I want to have that available for me when I need it.

IF I CARED ABOUT COST, GAS PRICES, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT AND ACCORD!

------------------
</A>
Old 03-10-2001, 04:10 PM

Lightbulb

Lower octane gas is more likely to bubble in the fuel line. If you have a 2000 year model (or newer?) you have to worry about a vapor-lockish problem on hot days and a warm start.

I would suggest you use premium. Your car will get better gas mileage, although not perfectly equal to the extra you pay for premium. At worst, alternate fill-ups with low octane/high octane. I do this sometimes, because the high octane I use is 93.

------------------
2000 3.2 TL, Paper maps.
Naples Gold / Parchment.
225/55ZR-16 RE730s on OEM alloys.
205/55QR-16 Alpins on steel wheels w/covers (winter).

Pictures

1999 CR-V EX 4WD Auto White
1992 MR-2 5-Speed T-Tops 2.2L, Greddy SP S/S Exhaust

Old 03-11-2001, 10:20 PM
Pro

Lightbulb

It's funny to read you guys get so personal about your gas. If you have so much money to be a better gas consumer than our friend young Nitesh, maybe you should hire a pit crew for your TL's and pour in NASCAR grade 98 octane with one of those big old speed fillers. Otherwise, please tell the young man the honest facts and keep your personal opinions about his choice to yourself. He asked a question, and deserves an unpartial answer.

Nitesh - Go ahead and put any grade of octane you want in the car - just make sure it is unleaded. The car's peformance will not suffer as a result. The R+M/2 method is the standard used for octane levels (you should see it printed on the gas pump). The higher the octane, the cleaner the gas is. Cleaner gas burns cleaner, leading to higher performance. Gas that is less clean (notice I didn't say dirty) will still burn effectively, but will accumulate more residue in the combustible areas of the car. The difference between high octane and low octane is this - a high octane gas will take longer to accumuate residue. That time, however, can be considered proportional to the octane levels. Suppose a perfect gasoline takes 100 years to effect engine performance. Better yet, suppose it takes 100,000 miles for a 100 octane gas to effect performance. a gas with 92 octane will take 92,000 miles to effect performance. A gas with 87 octane will take 87,000 to effect performance, etc. You get the idea. These numbers are not exact, but they might put things in perspective for you regarding the long term effects of their usage. Don't listen to the bashing, just go with the facts...

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl
Acura DVD-Based Navigational system
Burlwood Shifter
Alpine 620 Changer
Heavy Right Foot
Old 03-11-2001, 10:25 PM
Pro

And another thing... The people telling us drivers to use only premium fuel are the same people telling us that aftermarket products will cause problems and that oil changes should only be done at the dealerships. You will not be devaluing your car for future owners, or adding expenses because you used low octane gas. Come on now - if that happened, do you really thing they would sell 87 octane gas.
Old 03-11-2001, 11:13 PM

The octane rating of gasoline is indicative of the refinement level of the gasoline...not really even it's "clean" level. Higher octane gasoline is more refined -- all of the fuel molecules are more equally sized. Lower octane gasoline is less refined and has a higher range of sizes of fuel molecules. All of these different sized molecules combust at slightly different times in the combustion cycle -- higher octane fuel combusts at a more specific time in the cycle. The TL (as with all high-octane requiring vehicles) is designed and timed to maximize the effectiveness of the gasoline combustion with the engine compression cycle. The dreaded knocking/pinging/run-on that we hear is due to low-octane fuel combusting at the wrong time in the engine/piston cycle and disrupting the piston cycle/timing. This won't necessarily damage the car directly but over time it will take effect.

The TL and vehicles with "anti-knock" sensors have the ability to change the engine timing to adjust to the sensed combustion timing of the fuel. This may cause the engine to use more fuel than it would if using high octane, more appropriately timed (based on engine temp, compression ration, piston timing, etc.) fuel for the engine. But by adjusting to the broader combustion timing of the low-octane fuel and avoiding knocks/pings/run-on, the engine is protecting itself while using more fuel.

So...your TL should get worse mileage on low-octane fuel by having to adjust its engine combustion timing -- but you're paying less for the gas...probably a negligible difference in cost. I've tried both and never noticed a huge mileage difference. You theoretically should get the best performance out of your vehicle by using high-octane fuel...but are any of us really that good to be able to tell the difference? The difference is probably just in our heads....actually probably immeasurable performance differences.

As far as the higher octane fuels being cleaner....the fuel companies add different detergents and additives to their high-end fuels probably mostly for hype and sales....those difference aren't b/c of the octane level...they're more like a sugar coating. Low-octane fuels aren't inherently less clean...just less refined and less likely to combust at the exact moment your TL is expecting it.

Also, despite the standardization of octane level measurements....all of the fuel companies use different blends of fuel and different recipes to reach the same standard octane level. It is these difference between refinery brands and recipes that probably mean the most to engine performance and the way you push your car. Not only are these differences between companies...they are also between regions, states, and seasons. There are many environmental regulations demanding things such as the 10% ethanol additive in Chicago-area fuels. This is not required everywhere in the US, but is required here b/c ethanol use truly does make the fuel "cleaner" --- important in highly populated areas.

There's a heck of a lot more that goes into your engines performance than octane levels. Do some searching for explanations of fuel types and refinement basics....you'll learn more than you ever expected.

------------------

Old 03-11-2001, 11:26 PM
Safety Car

Wow.

all of the fuel companies use different blends of fuel and different recipes to reach the same standard octane level
Fuel companies yes, but how many different gas stations draw fuel from the same resevoir?
Old 03-12-2001, 12:50 AM
Pro

TL will run on regular non-leaded but like the manual says "with reduced performance". You'll notice when you mess the gas pedal or when you are hill climbing. If you don't mind giving up some performance then go with the cheap gas.

High octane gas are used in high compression engines (high performance) to prevent pre-ignition. Gas can pre-ignite from the higher "pressure" in the TL combustion chamber. You'll notice high compression turbo engines like in the Saab or Volvo's all specify premium fuel for this reason.

The additive commonly used to prevent pre-ignition in the US is MBTE, and MMBT in Canada. High octance gas is not cleaner than regular it just does not light up when it isn't suppose to as easily as regular that's all. The engine computer can adjust to regular gas but you will loss performance as a result.
Old 03-12-2001, 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Just because you lease the car doesnt mean you can treat it like crap..i mean u have to drive that car for a while so you might as well but the premium in it. is it just me but i thought tl's only take premium, thats what it says on my gas take

------------------
Patrick Lee
2001 Acura TL
Sitting in my room-WW kit and spoiler
Old 03-12-2001, 10:46 AM
Banned

I think one thing people are forgetting is the BRAND of gas to purchase -- not only the octane rating. Personally, I will only put Exxon or Chevron in my TL. Plus, I have talked to several Honda/Acura mechanics on this topic and they say that they put 87 in their Hondas and/or Acuras. And these guys have been at it for awhile. Another question worth looking at is whether it is a good idea to periodically add a fuel additive to your tank. Does anyone here do that?
Old 03-12-2001, 10:48 AM
Pro

I think the point is, if you are going to spend the extra for a TL, or especially a 540, why wouldn't you buy the gas they recommend? The reason why the TL (Premium recommended) gets slightly more HP than a V6 Accord (Regular OK) is because Honda/Acura tuned the TL to get a little more out of the same engine. To max out on performance, they recommend higher octane gas. It's not as if Acura and BMW make any more money off of you if you buy premium instead of regular. Besides, if you wanted to get away with cheap gas, why didn't you just lease the Accord?
Old 03-12-2001, 12:01 PM
Pro

Here is a good article on Octane from HowStuffWorks.com: If you've read the HSW article entitled How Car Engines Work, you know that almost all cars use 4-stroke gasoline engines. One of the strokes is the compression stroke, where the engine compresses a cylinder-full of air and gas into a much smaller volume before igniting it with a spark plug. The amount of compression is called the compression ratio of the engine. A typical engine might have a compression ratio of 8-to-1. See the How Car Engines Work article for details.
The octane rating of gasoline tells you the amount that the fuel can be compressed before if spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want have happening. Lower octane gas (like "regular" 87 octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight - that is what makes the engine "high performance". The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more. (article continues here: http://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm)

Old 03-12-2001, 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

The OWNERS MANUAL says your Acura is designed to operate on premium unleaded gasoline. It should have a pump octane number 91 or higher. Use of a lower octane can cause metallic knocking noises in the engine. Now forget about the other part about decreased engine performance.
I don't won't to here any knocking from the engine at all. You will notice reduced engine performace when going up a hill.
I did fill up from empty with mid octane gas.
I did this by mistake the car ran fine on the highway except when going up a hill, loss of power big time. I went to the new owners car clinc when I got the car.The service maneger told about 25 of us to use only premium. He said we could burn regular if we had no other choice but not to do it all the time. He also said not to mix it just for cost reason.I took him at his word he also worked as Honda service tech &service maneger for Cadi dealership.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 03-12-2001, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

I know this topic has been discussed here many times. But, I believe some "myths" still exist amongst this forum. Please take a look at the informative article at:
http://faqs.jmas.co.jp/FAQs/autos/gasoline-faq/part3

My personal take on it... Honda designed our engine to produce 225 HP under the worst (reasonable) conditions, ie. 110F air temp, manuf. tolerances, hot engine, etc. etc. To guarantee achieving the spec. HP, they suggest you use 91 octane. But...variations in manufacturing tolerances could drop the ONR (octane number requirement) by upto 6 points!! A drop in air temp to say 50F drops your ONR by 3! Even under the worst conditions, w/87 you might loose 5-8 HP. Noticeable?? Will mileage suffer?? Cause damage to the engine?? I doubt it.

Deposits do not continuously build up. They reach an equilibrium point, usually after around 10 to 20,000 miles.

You probably will never hear the engine knock...the knock sensor kicks back the timing during the onset, before knocking is audible.

I have been using 91, but I think I'll switch to 87 in the winter. In the summer I'll use 89 for city driving, 87 for long trips.

Hope all this makes sense.
Old 03-12-2001, 02:46 PM
Instructor

I think many people are mssing the point. Octane level does not indicate quality but rather its resistance to knock. In fact higher octane fuel is blended to resist knocking and has a lower amount of BTUs so it takes more to produce the same amount of heat in the combustion chamber.
The knock sensor will detect the knock and retard the igntion timing to avoid doing any harm to the engine.
I hope this information helps.
Old 03-12-2001, 03:09 PM

I thank everyone for their valuable input. I think I will go with the strategy of alternating regular and premium. I'm not trying to be cheap or anything. My dad leased the car for me but I'm responsible for the gas. I'm only 17 years old and kind of on a tight budget. I would rather drive an Acura than an Accord and was just attempting to ascertain if regular fuel seriously hampers the car in the short term.

P.S - Thanks Drbeatty for backing me up.

Old 03-12-2001, 03:16 PM
Pro

Cool

don't be cheap...i think you owe it to the car and the person who buys the car after you turn it in...i suggest getting a better job and buying the good gas...

------------------
1996 2.5 TL Dark Green
HKS Powerflow, HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator, Sebring Exhaust, Jacobs Pro Street, Apex-i AFC, Jet ECU, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis Metal Master Pads, PIAA 1100x, Clarion 9255, Tube Driver Amps, Boston Pro 10's (2) , CD Technologies 6-4-2, Clarion MVA6491 (3), Valentine 1, Cliford Avant Guard 4, Monster Capacitors (2), Jacobs Accuvolt, Trunk and Underdash Neons...
[URL=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/]AlbumIndex?u=1530721&a=11664800&f=0][url]
Old 03-12-2001, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

Personally I wouldn't give 2 *v**s about the next guy who got the car... leasing sucks because after you've paid all this cash... you have nothing to show for it.
Old 03-12-2001, 04:33 PM

But leasing also gives you the opportunity of driving a new car every 3 years. 10 years ago we could only afford a 8 year old Mercury Sable. 5 years ago a new Toyota and now we have a BMW and an Acura. I wouldn't want to buy all these cars. The next cars we're looking at are Lexus LS430 and Mercedez SLK320. That's why we prefer the lease.

Old 03-12-2001, 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by jhalderman:
I think many people are mssing the point. Octane level does not indicate quality but rather its resistance to knock. In fact higher octane fuel is blended to resist knocking and has a lower amount of BTUs so it takes more to produce the same amount of heat in the combustion chamber.
The knock sensor will detect the knock and retard the igntion timing to avoid doing any harm to the engine.
I hope this information helps.
This post is right on point. Your car will run without damage to the engine on the lower octane fuel. However the knock sensors will retard the timing to prevent any knocking/pre-ignition. The Engine doesnt retard the timing right to the point of there being no pre-ignition, but it goes further than that to prevent any chance of damage, and thats where the loss of power comes from.
Many people mistakenly believe that all Premium gas contains more cleaners/detergants than the regualr unleaded, but thats NOT the case. Not all Gas stations add more detergants to the Premium gas, only some such as Texaco, Chevron, Exxon and others do, but NOT all do this. So I pretty much stick to those brands. Hope I helped.

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde
TL Type-S Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi(on the way)

Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
96 Sherwood Green Accord EX
Old 03-12-2001, 07:14 PM

just stick with premium...it cant be more that a buck or two more per fill up.

Old 03-12-2001, 07:17 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Originally posted by Revenga:
just stick with premium...it cant be more that a buck or two more per fill up.
THANK YOU!

------------------
</A>
Old 03-12-2001, 11:05 PM
Instructor

i read somewhere higher octane is not necessary good for the car. Yes, higher octane has lower combustion rate which gives a higher milage. Since the combustion is slower, so when the engin is not warmed up there might be gas leaks from fuel injector... don't flame me, i read this on newpaper. and yes, high octane gas is for high compression ratio cars... TL is 9:1 which isn't all that high, so i'll see stick with 91 or 92 is enough, no need to spend extra for 93 or 94..
What i am trying to suggest here is that higher doesn't mean better, so just stick with what the manual.
Old 03-14-2001, 12:03 PM
Pro

Nitesh,

I don't know why a lot of guys are being 92+ octane freaks in here. Our cars are designed to use the benefits of higher octane ratings, but that DOES NOT IMPLY that this is the only way to go. If it was, why doesn't it say premium unleaded only on the gauge? My 1996 Honda Prelude Si said that, and most of the time i did it. Of course I put 87 every now and then and it doesn't make an ounce of difference (except in performance and gas mileage). In fact that is the best way to do it, if you look at gas prices, generally 89 (mid. octane) is most expensive for the buck. One thing you can try is the following: at the gas pump, fill in 5 gallons of 87, then, fill in 5 gallons or 6 gallons of 93 octane. You'll average out at around 90-91 octane in your gas, its cheaper than 89, and it mixes fine. In fact, a lot of people, including myself, like to get octane boosts from the local car store and put it in the tank. You don't need to add too much high octane boost to you car, but just a lil, follow the directions. so lets say you were short on cash and filled up on 87 octane. no problem. Add the boost, let it mix, and you're octane is now higher. Its not like trying to mix oil and water. Naturally aspirated cars take less than non. If you plan on racing or something, and need the added performance, then boost it with that higher octane. it should help a little. For day to day driving, i see absolutely nothing wrong with 90 octane or even 89 if you are not concerned about performance. You car will NOT f'ck up if you put 87 either, i don't know why anyone would say that. Much more important is WHERE you go. Go to the big chains, esp. the ones who were previously of standard oil: Chevron, Exxon, Shell, I've done (unscientific of course) tests on empty tanks of chevron supreme, shell supreme, and exxxon. And personally, I like Chevron supreme the best, followed closely by shell, then exxon. But all are good. I'll even go to texaco every now and then. Its not a big deal. About the 540, i'm not sure what it reccomends but when it comes to THAT car, if it says 93, i'd be pretty religious about giving it 93. BTW, my mom got rid of her 97 LS4000 Coach ed. a few months back... it was a lease, and we ALWAYS put 93. Not to imply anything but if you do lease a car, you should still respect it. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2001, 12:07 PM
Pro

I didn't even know that there was a 93 octane gas available to the public. I live in Colorado, and the highest that I have ever seen is 91. And that's what I put in my car...91 Anyone from COLORADO ever seen 93 octane?

------------------
Rosewood 97 3.2 TL Premium
-HID Headlights
-PIAA 1400X Platinum Series Fogs
-Clifford Solaris Alarm w/Remote Start
-Alpine Deck 7862
-Punch 800 Amplifier
-Obcon Custom Prefab Box w/Fosgate HX2 subs
-MB Quart Mids Front/Rear
-Infiniti Tweets
-10% Tint
-Factory Spoiler to be ordered!
Old 03-14-2001, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DDubb:
I didn't even know that there was a 93 octane gas available to the public. I live in Colorado, and the highest that I have ever seen is 91. And that's what I put in my car...91 Anyone from COLORADO ever seen 93 octane?

Here in Texas we have the choice of 93 Octane. Does anyone know if this is a state regulated thing or something different? I see many people on this post saying how 91 is the highest they can get.
Old 03-14-2001, 03:16 PM
Advanced

Very interesting responses from everyone so far. However, I'll make it really simple. If the vehicle manufacturer recommends premium fuel, then use it. It's very disturbing to me that one would purchase (or lease) vehicle costing over $28,000 and try to save $2 - $3 (or lower) per gasoline fill up by using a lower grade of fuel than recommended by the vehile manufacturer. I'm sure that you can find that $2 - $3 savings somewhere else (i.e. buying fewer CD, eating out less, driving less, and etc). But to penny pinch by using regular vs. premium fuel in a vehicle that requires premium fuel just doesn't make sense. If you cannot afford the recommended fuel for the TL, then you may be better off selling it. It's the same basics as not being able to afford the car insurance or maintenance for a vehicle. If you can't afford it, then you should not be driving and/or owning it. The price difference in one gallon of premium and regular gasoline is cents and not dollars, and a fuel tank maybe $2 - $3 dollars at most. However, the potential additional maintenance costs resulting with using a lower grade of gasoline than premium, will be a lot higher than that.
Old 03-14-2001, 07:20 PM
Ain't No Other...

Just put water G-DAMN IT!!!!

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL, 17x7.5 ATP wheels with Pirelli 215/50/17 P7000SS, OEM spoiler, K&N filter, Tint all Around. Inspire Foglight Switch, PIAA 1700X fogs, Polarg M-12 corners.
Next Mod: H&R springs.

Quick Reply: Premium vs. Regular Fuel