possible 2nd dead tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible 2nd dead tranny?

hi all, looks like I might have had my second tranny die tonight. on the way home, my car all of a sudden felt like it jumped into neutral, and then it seened like it couldnt decide what gear to switch into. then the gears sounded like they were grinding. This was a bit different from when my first tranny failed so I'm not sure its the same issue.

any thoughts? does it sound like a bad tranny?

also, just curious, I have the extended acura warranty and I'm worried they might try to tell me that I didnt have some fluid replaced recent enough or something similar. I'm not sure when the last time I had the transmission fluid checked. could they use that against me for a reason not to cover a repair/replacement?

any insight would be great. Thanks!

taz :-)
Old 02-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
When did you have the transmission replaced? At what miles then and now

Which extended warranty? The one that comes with the trans itself or a dealer sold add on?

Dont worry about them trying to get out of trans repairs on oil changes basis- its not required within the time you would have been driving the replacement trans

There is another thread for probs with post feb 05 replacements
Old 02-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Advanced

the car was at about 65k when the first trans died, I think it was back in feb of '04 but I'm not exactly sure. I've had the oil changed recently but not sure about trans fluid. will they try and screw me if the trans fluid wasnt changed recently enough?

its at about 96k miles now, and its an acura care warranty which is the add-on warranty that I paid extra for.

are you saying this should be posted in another thread?

thanks for your reply!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
You can go to www.acura.com ownership experience and register your car by VIN number
It will tell your what was replaced by warranty and when

There is no requirement to change the trans flud within the specs you give- dont worry

When my trans went at 70 thou they just handed me the keys to a loaner car and said we will call you when its done. No other questions asked about anything!

Call acura care at 1-800-382-2238 x 5 6am -5pm pacific time and register your car and tell them what its doing.
Then call local Acura dealer for appointment
You are describing serious symptoms- I would ask the dealer to TOW the car for you at their expense (its warranty)

The transmissions done after feb 2005 are thought to be the new revised ones, if you have a made in 04- thats a different issue.
The seperate thread is only for post 2/05 repairs

Good Luck keep us advised
Old 02-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Advanced

thnx for the advice, O'm having it towed in this morning. I'll let you know what the outcome is. this transmission issue has really been a pain. I had been telling the dealership for over a year that the transmission had been acting odd and they told me thats the way the car is supposed to drive! jeesh! thnx again!

taz
Old 02-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You wont have a problem The trans has a factory warranty of 109k miles. They will give you a new one (as long as its acting up when they get it) have you tried to drive it today? is it still not working?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Advanced

nah, I just had it towed in this morning, not sure if its still acting up. but I confirmed that the first transmission was replaced in jan 04. so that would have been before they recognized what the fault was with the transmission? meaning that the transmission was replaced by another with the same defect? I had been in to the dealer 3 times complaining about the transmission after it was replaced and they told me that the symptoms were normal and that was how the car was supossed to drive. They said the symptom was just because the computer was trying to decide what gear to shift into. sheesh! hopefully the issue will be totally fixed this time.

do the symptoms sound like a transmission issue? (gears grinding, feels like car slips into neutral, etc....)

thanks!

taz