P1457 = A gently Reminder to Check your Gas Cap

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
P1457 = A gently Reminder to Check your Gas Cap

Hi Aziners!

Well this is a quick Rant about code P1457 = "EVAP Leak"..
Normally this code will mean your EVAP Canister got hit by a rock or its probably old enough to leak naturally thus the ECU will throw a happy P1457! But sometimes it can also means your Gas Cap is simply loose.

I usually go to Self Service Gas Stations that is why this doesn`t happen because I like to give 3 Full Turns to my Gas Cap (As per Honda OEM Gas Cap) they do a loud click noise which is a torque limiter and it isnt fully closed until you give it 3 good turns..

Well last night I went to those now Odd and Mysterious Clerk Filled Stations and the Clerk was kind enough to fill the car for me.. When he was done he did a Half Turn and closed the Gas Cap gate.. I went back home and all went fine, This morning went to work and Voilà! A weird "Check" light turned On in my Dash.. Baffled on why this little light turned On I went to my closest Autozone and pulled the codes.. Just a Single one = P1457! then I remember I went to a Clerk Fill station and decided to do what I do in those cases...
Pull Clock Fuse, Close Gas Cap Tightly, Install Clock Fuse and Done.. Check Engine was gone and my car was idling like crap like it always do when I reset the ECU.

So this is a gently reminder to tightly close your gas cap on every fill up! or a Nasty P1457 might pop up on you! And this also helps if P1457 suddenly appears over night? Who knows? It might just be a loose gas cap
The following users liked this post:
thelastaspec (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 11:11 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
Hi Aziners!

Normally this code will mean your EVAP Canister got hit by a rock or its probably old enough to leak naturally thus the ECU will throw a happy P1457! But sometimes it can also means your Gas Cap is simply loose.

I usually go to Self Service Gas Stations that is why this doesn`t happen because I like to give 3 Full Turns to my Gas Cap (As per Honda OEM Gas Cap) they do a loud click noise which is a torque limiter and it isnt fully closed until you give it 3 good turns..

Well last night I went to those now Odd and Mysterious Clerk Filled Stations and the Clerk was kind enough to fill the car for me.. When he was done he did a Half Turn and closed the Gas Cap gate.. I went back home and all went fine, This morning went to work and Voilà! A weird "Check" light turned On in my Dash.. Baffled on why this little light turned On I went to my closest Autozone and pulled the codes.. Just a Single one = P1457! then I remember I went to a Clerk Fill station and decided to do what I do in those cases...
Pull Clock Fuse, Close Gas Cap Tightly, Install Clock Fuse and Done.. Check Engine was gone and my car was idling like crap like it always do when I reset the ECU.

So this is a gently reminder to tightly close your gas cap on every fill up! or a Nasty P1457 might pop up on you! And this also helps if P1457 suddenly appears over night? Who knows? It might just be a loose gas cap
I can't stand people filling my gas for me. I'll never move to Oregon as its mandated that they have to have the attendant fill it for them. Every attendant manages to rub the hose on the car and drip gas when pulling out the nozzle. /rant
Old 09-24-2015, 11:20 PM

^ I have to withstand that treatment every time I go to México, Since all of them are Clerk Fills... I hate when they slam the gas hose like it was a toy or something, The entire car shakes when they do that...
Old 10-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
Hi Aziners!

Old 10-01-2015, 12:59 PM

I know the procedure fatty.. I am just to lazy/desperate to idle for 5 minutes specially outside an Autozone... The car re-learn its idle just with driving (Been there, done that many times before).