P1456 - Gas smell from filler pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1456 - Gas smell from filler pipe

I've had a p1456 code with a strong gas smell from the rear driver's side of the car for a few months. My mpg also went from 26ish to high teens once the code came on the first time. I've tried a new gas cap and filter canister, but the code comes back fairly quickly. I also noticed I am not getting that release of pressure sound when I remove the gas cap. So I pulled the wheel and fuel filler pipe cover to locate where the gas smell is coming from and it's definitely coming from the filler pipe.

I found this video on a similar year odyssey regarding an o-ring in the filler pipe. Has anybody tried this solution? Am I stuck buying a fairly expensive filler pipe to fix a pressure leak?

Old 02-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
I have a good used filler pipe I would sell you. PM me for more info.

I agree its pretty expensive for what you get.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
follow up in case someone down the road finds this thread. The video I linked was useless. There is not an o-ring in the TL filler pipe.

I re-seated and re-clamped the three rubber hoses attached to the filler pipe and the smell and P1456 code are gone and the MPG is back to normal. I'm going to replace the hoses just for future peace of mind, but it's nice to finally run into a free and fairly simple fix.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is on and a trouble code P1456 is set. This code indicates that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detected a leak on the fuel tank side of the Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) system.

This code can set if the fuel cap is left loose or if the BS and 2-way valve leaks. If the valve leaks, it allows the FTP to decrease (into the charcoal canister) and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will set this code.

Tests/Procedures: 1. To test the EVAP system, scan the Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) sensor voltage or test it with a Digital Volt Ohmmeter (DVOM). The sensor has a 3-wire connector. It is located by the canister on the bracket under the plastic cover by the canister. The Light Green wire connects to the FTP sensor signal. The voltage should be close to 2.5 V with the fuel cap removed and the ignition key turned on.

2. With the fuel cap on, start the engine and allow it to run. The fuel tank should build pressure and voltage should increase to 2.8 V or 2.9 V if there are no leaks in the fuel tank area or in the fuel cap.

3. After the voltage increases, turn the engine off and verify that the voltage holds (does not decrease). If the voltage starts to decrease, clamp off the hose from the Bypass Solenoid (BS) and the 2-way valve assembly that runs to the charcoal canister, and see if the fuel tank holds pressure.

4. If the fuel tank holds pressure under these conditions, replace the 2-way valve and the BS, and retest.

5. If the leak remains, use a smoke machine to check for the leak in the fuel tank and filler neck areas.

*Note - these are not my work and I claim no responsibility with the result of whatever you do. Just trying to help out. GL!
Old 08-26-2016, 11:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Have a P1456 also. FTP sensor 2.5v with engine off but tank will not pressurize with engine running. I get a slight rise in voltage but only as high as 2.55v . Confirmed FTP sensor working by pumping air into the fuel tank and watching volts increase up to 2.9v..

Any common leak areas on these cars or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Iggy

Last edited by Iggy; 08-26-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
I spent many hours trying to track down P1456. I replaced the 2-way valve & solenoid($160..ouch) which didn't solve the problem. Finally I pressurized the tank to 3v on the FTP sensor and started spraying soapy water all over the filler neck area. Turns out I have a fuel tank leak under the tank strap just above the filler neck due to corrosion. Dropping this tank looks like a thrill.....NOT!