AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Oil leak driver side (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/oil-leak-driver-side-978577/)

max4swag 04-07-2019 01:52 PM

Oil leak driver side

Hey Everyone !

Maybe be you can help me pinpoint this issue i have , my car has developed a oil leak at 285000 km, the oil drips on the ground appear right under the battery and air filter area , can someone tell me what I can look at to try find what this issue can be ?
Thanks for the help !

Majofo 04-09-2019 05:14 PM

Sounds like rear main seal leak.. try changing your pcv valve. Might be causing blowback pressuring fluid through the seal.
If that doesn't fix it and it is the seal, you need to drop the trans to replace the ~$10 seal.. IOW, several hundred in labor for a ten dollar part.

Majofo 04-09-2019 05:15 PM

It also could be from the transmission cooler or power steering fluid cooler, need to get under car to check the source of the leak. It may not be obvious, always follow the leak up. Check hose connections to the coolers too. Oil soaked hoses should be obvious.

max4swag 04-10-2019 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 16409345)
Sounds like rear main seal leak.. try changing your pcv valve. Might be causing blowback pressuring fluid through the seal.
If that doesn't fix it and it is the seal, you need to drop the trans to replace the ~$10 seal.. IOW, several hundred in labor for a ten dollar part.

thanks for the reply , I’m picking up the pcv valve today and will replace the old one and see what’s gonna happen, for the price it’s worth a try

whitetiger5 04-10-2019 12:11 PM

There are basically 4 places where the engine can leak oil:
  • Front: The oil pump and seal (this includes the vtec oil pressure sensor) less commonly camshaft front seals
  • Back: The rear main seal
  • Top: the valve cover or camshaft thrust seals
  • Bottom: the oil pan gasket

You mentioned that the oil was on the bottom of the transmission beneath the battery tray: I'd probably clean the bottom of the engine with some superclean and a scrub bush and then wait for more oil to show up.

max4swag 04-10-2019 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by whitetiger5 (Post 16409690)
There are basically 4 places where the engine can leak oil:
  • Front: The oil pump and seal (this includes the vtec oil pressure sensor) less commonly camshaft front seals
  • Back: The rear main seal
  • Top: the valve cover or camshaft thrust seals
  • Bottom: the oil pan gasket

You mentioned that the oil was on the bottom of the transmission beneath the battery tray: I'd probably clean the bottom of the engine with some superclean and a scrub bush and then wait for more oil to show up.

i decided to go under the car and found out that this was not engine oil but it was transmission oil not too sure about the part that needs to be replaced here’s a pic looks kinda like it’s leaking around what looks like a bolt of some sort .... what do I need to replace ?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...0dbf67d7a.jpeg

thoiboi 04-10-2019 04:55 PM

Looks like it's part of the rack and pinion of i'm not mistaken

you haven't told us what year/make/model of the car though.

here perhaps?
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2002...ear-box-type-s

whitetiger5 04-10-2019 04:57 PM

That’s your power steering rack.

If its leaking because you’ve been turning the steering wheel all the way to the end lately then I would leave it. But: if it’s leaking all the time, you’ll have to consider repairing/replacing it.

Majofo 04-10-2019 05:01 PM

That's the pinion housing of the power steering rack.. check the fittings and high pressure hose.

Majofo 04-10-2019 05:02 PM

Power steering fluid often burns on the 3rd cat and can start a fire..
I'm not saying it's urgent, but for the sake of your driveway and your vehicle, I'd get it fixed asap.

Majofo 04-10-2019 05:03 PM

btw.. usually there's a bolt or cap at the end of the housing. Looks like it's eaten away or gone there.

max4swag 04-10-2019 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16409892)
looks like it's part of the rack and pinion of i'm not mistaken

you haven't told us what year/make/model of the car though.

Here perhaps?
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2002...ear-box-type-s

2000 3.2 tl

max4swag 04-10-2019 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by whitetiger5 (Post 16409894)

If its leaking because you’ve been turning the steering wheel all the way to the end lately then I would leave it. But: if it’s leaking all the time, you’ll have to consider repairing/replacing it.

what would be the repairing option ?

max4swag 04-10-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 16409897)
That's the pinion housing of the power steering rack.. check the fittings and high pressure hose.

high pressure hose has been replaced about 2 years ago and the low pressure hose also

Majofo 04-10-2019 05:16 PM

If it can't be resealed, it'll need to be replaced
Other than a fire hazard and risk to staining your garage floor / driveway
You can monitor how much is leaking from the res and just top off every month or so..
If it's leaking significantly.. I'd make a plan sooner than later.

max4swag 04-10-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 16409908)
If it can't be resealed, it'll need to be replaced
Other than a fire hazard and risk to staining your garage floor / driveway
You can monitor how much is leaking from the res and just top off every month or so..
If it's leaking significantly.. I'd make a plan sooner than later.

i would like to take care of this issue asap, what do you mean by resealing it ?

Majofo 04-10-2019 05:19 PM

That cap looks like a mess, but see if you can fit a 3/8" extension in there.. wondering if it can be tightened..
Might not even be the leak, just the lowest point of the leak.. definitely check all the fittings from the rack.

Majofo 04-10-2019 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by max4swag (Post 16409909)
i would like to take care of this issue asap, what do you mean by resealing it ?

Retightening the fittings or if coming from high pressure hose, replacing o-ring at pump.. sounds like that's not an issue though.

Majofo 04-10-2019 05:25 PM

You'll need a flare nut wrench on most of those fitting.. they're a PITA to get to especially if they're on the inside.

max4swag 04-10-2019 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 16409910)
That cap looks like a mess, but see if you can fit a 3/8" extension in there.. wondering if it can be tightened..
Might not even be the leak, just the lowest point of the leak.. definitely check all the fittings from the rack.

looked everywhere and the leak is really coming from around that fitting all the rest looked fine , so it is possible to tighten it ?

max4swag 04-10-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 16409910)

I went under the car again and realized that I missed something , like you mentioned earlier it might be the low point of the leak here is another pic , you can see that A little higher over the fitting where a hose is entering it’s all wet that’s where I think the leak is coming from and that might be the reason it’s dripping off the fitting ?
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...6dd44f95b3.png

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...be18759e8.jpeg

whitetiger5 04-11-2019 12:00 PM

By the looks of the photos you've sent (they are a big help) the highest point I see here does appear higher up near the high pressure hose fitting (as you have pointed out). what I am not sure of: is there another seal where the steering shaft inserts into the top of the rack (behind that rubber grommet)?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...6dbd881196.png

max4swag 04-11-2019 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by whitetiger5 (Post 16410185)
By the looks of the photos you've sent (they are a big help) the highest point I see here does appear higher up near the high pressure hose fitting (as you have pointed out). what I am not sure of: is there another seal where the steering shaft inserts into the top of the rack (behind that rubber grommet)?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...6dbd881196.png

Not sure , could it be possible that the leak is comming from the hose that could be eaten by rust and leaking on the rubber grommet and dripping on the fitting on the bottom ?

Majofo 04-11-2019 01:52 PM

Yeah that picture is much more telling.. might need a new rack.
If that fitting is the high pressure hose, I'd get a flange nut wrench on it and see if you can tighten it.

You said the high pressure hose was replaced two years. It doesn't look like it from that pic.
I'd be willing to bet they only replaced the o-ring on the pump.

whitetiger5 04-11-2019 02:03 PM

See if you can spray some superclean or similar in there and scrub it clean with a toothbrush...let dry and turn the car on again to see if you can find the leak. That's what others have done to try an pinpoint where the leak originates.

max4swag 04-11-2019 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 16410260)
Yeah that picture is much more telling.. might need a new rack.
If that fitting is the high pressure hose, I'd get a flange nut wrench on it and see if you can tighten it.

You said the high pressure hose was replaced two years. It doesn't look like it from that pic.
I'd be willing to bet they only replaced the o-ring on the pump.

yes it was replaced I help out my mecanic friend install it here’s a pic of the part
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...816b3f6f7e.png

whitetiger5 04-11-2019 02:20 PM

Kudos for getting that done, I heard it's really difficult to snake that hose in there.

Perhaps that hose fitting is breaking down already...or perhaps wasn't properly tightened :wish:

Arkady 04-11-2019 02:21 PM

I remember that during the install of my high pressure line, that lower area of that connects to the steering rack was a total PITA to tighten down - maybe ya'll missed a bolt or something there? Or possibly just misaligned it?

max4swag 04-11-2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Arkady (Post 16410277)
I remember that during the install of my high pressure line, that lower area of that connects to the steering rack was a total PITA to tighten down - maybe ya'll missed a bolt or something there? Or possibly just misaligned it?

its kinda weird that after almost 2 years it would start to leak ,I should see a leak where it connects to the steering rack when I open the hood ? I will take a look and let you know !!

max4swag 04-11-2019 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Arkady (Post 16410277)

the part that I changed was the hi pressure hose that connects to the steering rack on the top part at the bottom back of the engine bay on the right side when you fave the front of the car , but the leak is comming from the bottom under side of the car , I don’t think it’s the same Hose ? Sorry is this reply is complicated lol

Arkady 04-11-2019 02:33 PM

The hose you sent a picture of - one part connects to the power steering pump, and the other somewhere below the engine near the rack, right? I'm saying maybe an imperfect fit of the part where it connects to below the engine may be partially at fault.

max4swag 04-11-2019 02:42 PM

Everyone !!!! I appreciate all the help and advice you are giving me it’s really helpful 👍😁 I have a oil change appointment on Saturday i will ask them to take a look I just hope that this is not a major issue

max4swag 04-11-2019 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Arkady (Post 16410289)
The hose you sent a picture of - one part connects to the power steering pump, and the other somewhere below the engine near the rack, right? I'm saying maybe an imperfect fit of the part where it connects to below the engine may be partially at fault.

just checked under the hood where the high pressure hose connects from one end to the other no leaks whatsoever in the lower engine area close to the firewall nothing , only when you look under the car as shown on the pic

max4swag 04-13-2019 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by whitetiger5 (Post 16409894)

i just when to the garage and the hole rack and pinion needs to be replaced , they will replace it with a rebuilt rack and pinion with a 3 year warranty ,the garage quoted me 950$ cad for the whole job , does this sound correct ?

Majofo 04-13-2019 02:31 PM

Parts can be really expensive in Canada from what I hear
That would be a reasonable price here.

I would go with a new rack, but that might be very expensive for you.
I would always check around. You can get quotes over the phone.