Odyssey Trans: drilling and tapping?

Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Odyssey Trans: drilling and tapping?

My transmission went out on the way home, and I plan on getting the Odyssey transmission. I've read conflicting things in the tranny failure thread, so I need solid info: Does anything have to be drilled/tapped? And if so, what?

All I know for sure is the trans range switch and trans filter need to be moved over to it, and that I can feed the power steering assistance back into itself since there isn't one on the Odyssey transmission.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i literally just got done swapping an 06 AV6 trans into my TL-p. i would highly suggest getting the accord trans instead of the odyssey unless you have someone who know what the are doing with the whole drill n tap thing.

if you fail at that u would have pretty much ruined the trans case rendering the unit useless. using the accord trans. installation was a breeze as the hole is already there

the PS speed sensor u need to loop is pretty straight forward u cant miss. it doesnt affect driveabilty or anything.

Also i kept the Honda trans filter housing setup. figured filters from honda will be less expensive than their luxury brand

u must move the trans range switch over. make sure both trans are in the same gear positon before you transfere this over.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Advanced

also make sure you download the FSM from the link provided on this site. it helps ALOT
Old 03-17-2011, 07:52 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
6 speed time.....

ande i know that is coming to mind, especially with excellerate's mounts
Old 03-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by skilzz
i literally just got done swapping an 06 AV6 trans into my TL-p. i would highly suggest getting the accord trans instead of the odyssey unless you have someone who know what the are doing with the whole drill n tap thing.

if you fail at that u would have pretty much ruined the trans case rendering the unit useless. using the accord trans. installation was a breeze as the hole is already there

the PS speed sensor u need to loop is pretty straight forward u cant miss. it doesnt affect driveabilty or anything.

Also i kept the Honda trans filter housing setup. figured filters from honda will be less expensive than their luxury brand

u must move the trans range switch over. make sure both trans are in the same gear positon before you transfere this over.
ok, so the accord transmission also needs the trans range switch and the filter (optional, apparently) moved over. When you say the "hole is already there" hole for what?

Thanks a lot man. The accord trans that's available has an extra 20k miles on it, but if it's a guarantee, then I guess I can't go wrong with it.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Neejay
ok, so the accord transmission also needs the trans range switch and the filter (optional, apparently) moved over. When you say the "hole is already there" hole for what?

Thanks a lot man. The accord trans that's available has an extra 20k miles on it, but if it's a guarantee, then I guess I can't go wrong with it.

the hole you need to drill n tap on the odyssey trans is already there on the accord trans. they are the same trans just the minivan ones need the hole drilled

move over the entire range switch and harness from the tl trans.

what year accord the trans from?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by skilzz
the hole you need to drill n tap on the odyssey trans is already there on the accord trans. they are the same trans just the minivan ones need the hole drilled

move over the entire range switch and harness from the tl trans.

what year accord the trans from?
ah, ok. It's from an 06 with 62k miles. Thanks a lot for the info man.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drill and Tap Oddy

What hole are you guys talking about when it comes to the Oddy Tranny to swap to the TL?

I just did my swap and I did not have to drill or tap any holes and everything went in except the Power Steering Hole.

My Oddy was a 2006.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by The Big Bear
What hole are you guys talking about when it comes to the Oddy Tranny to swap to the TL?

I just did my swap and I did not have to drill or tap any holes and everything went in except the Power Steering Hole.

My Oddy was a 2006.
I never got a solid answer so I went with an 07 Accord V6 transmission...which I also had to feed the power steering assist line back onto itself.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

So let me get this straight....you can use 07 accord or 06 ody transmission for 2003 TL? My 03 TL-S tranny is dying and been reading about multiple tranny failure so I asked my self "why use another TL tranny if its going to fail? I was thinking modifiying to something better but I like what I am reading from you guys so far.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Cruisin'

Answers

NVA-AV6 is the man to talk to and he helped me out with my install on information.

A lot of little things you do not pick up on the threads if you do the install yourself are not shared.

I am trying to organize a writeup with Photos about my swap.

I put a 2006 Honda Odyssey Transmission in my NEW 2000 TL. It only had 24000 miles on it out of a wrecked van. I sent a photo to NVA-AV6 and he looked at it and the only difference on the two trannys was the hole was missing for the Power Steering Pump on the 2006 Oddy.

I drove it to work today and it feels like everything is working no problems and no codes or lights so far. 60 miles so far one way.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
cool, great job big bear im looking forward to seeing pics of it
Old 04-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Advanced

very interesting
Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

I just completed installing a 2005 Odyssey transmission into a 2000 TL and things seem to be working fine. I came across a couple issues not mentioned here that may be of interest to some. I also am looking for some help with the power steering speed sensor.

- the gearing on the ody is different than on the TL in particular gear 3 and 4 and as a result the engine RPMs are higher for the same acceleration through these gears. I am pretty sure the speedometer is now out by about 10% (reads high).

- The shift cable cover from the TL does not fit with the 05 Ody transmission installed, I did not have a 05 Ody shift cable cover to try so ended up modifying the TL cover to get it to fit, but it is not ideal.

- Have not been able to figure out how to loop the power steering back on itself as suggested here. The hoses are different sizes and with one being HP and one LP I am not sure there would not be a future hose failure issue, if someone could elaborate on how this is done I would appreicate it.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I used a brass fitting for plumbing that was 2 different sizes to connect the 2 different sizes.