Odometer rollback question--reset by speedo shop or accept sticker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odometer rollback question--reset by speedo shop or accept sticker?

I recently had my TL-S gauge cluster replaced under warranty, and of course the replacement cluster had the odometer at 0 miles. The dealer took the cheap (or perhaps didn't have a choice?) way out and slapped an odometer sticker on the door jamb.

The question is this--would you accept a sticker in lieu of having a speedo shop correct it if your cluster was replaced under warranty? I reckon the dealer may not be obligated to go the speedo shop route since it's clearly cheaper to slap a sticker than having to pay $60-some odd dollars to have it reset; however, I don't know how prospective buyers may accept a sticker since in theory, anyone could write whatever mileage they choose on it, and depending on how long dealerships keep paperwork on odometer readings at time of odometer replacement, the remote possibility (even if it turns out to be nil) that the odometer may be incorrect may cost me a buyer or two somewhere down the line...
Old 02-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't buy a used car with a "sticker" mileage. I'd see it as a little shady.
I'm actually kind of surprised that they would just slap a sticker on there. Also, records are pretty damn good these days and will keep getting better in years to come.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Exclamation

Originally posted by SK2003TypeS
I wouldn't buy a used car with a "sticker" mileage. I'd see it as a little shady.
I'm actually kind of surprised that they would just slap a sticker on there. Also, records are pretty damn good these days and will keep getting better in years to come.

Agreed. I would never buy a car from someone who's odometer showed one reading, and a sticker on the door showed another. I'd work with the dealer to have it done correctly. Also see if you can find out the laws in your state regarding this. They may have to reset it.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:03 AM
yeah i'm bored.

i'd just take off the sticker...no way anyone would ever find out unless they check your acura service records.

Old 02-11-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by agean
i'd just take off the sticker...no way anyone would ever find out unless they check your acura service records.

My thinking exactly. They just took miles off your car. It works in your favor whenever you want to get rid of the car...

Mr
03 ABP TL-S
New Jersey
Mr_@yahoo.com
Old 02-11-2003, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Well, the first time they bring the car in for service they'll know that the mileage on the odo does not match the computer.... plus, there will also be a service not on it regarding the guage replacement.

Probably not a good idea to go that route since you can get in a sh|t load of trouble....
Old 02-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Why was the cluster replaced under warrenty? I've noticed that a few TL owners have had to go through this.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:53 AM
yeah i'm bored.

p.s. i was just kidding ; )

**i don't condone that sort of thing, so i'm not an accomplice
Old 02-11-2003, 12:07 PM

p.s. i was just kidding ; )

**i don't condone that sort of thing, so i'm not an accomplice
Yes you are. Thanks for the idea. I will let the cops know that you gave me idea. You were the brains behind this operation. HAHA!!!

Mr
03 ABP TL-S
New Jersey
Mr_@yahoo.com
Old 02-11-2003, 12:47 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure about the TL, but most newer cars have another ODO in the tranny, to prevent rollbacks. But yah, i would be all over the dealers ass to reset that.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

The TL doesn't have another place to keep track of the miles. Somebody already told us it could be done awhile back. Well hell, n/m, I'm not sure about the 2003's. But I doubt it.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
There isnt another place, the ECU doesnt track milage, and moreover, if it did, that could also be replaced to mask true milage.
The ECU tracks vehicle speed, for timing and other engine managment functions.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mr

Yes you are. Thanks for the idea. I will let the cops know that you gave me idea. You were the brains behind this operation. HAHA!!!

Mr
03 ABP TL-S
New Jersey
Mr_@yahoo.com
Here's an idea: You can rob banks with a hand gun. Now go do your thing
Old 02-11-2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by randomwalk101

Here's an idea: You can rob banks with a hand gun. Now go do your thing

Another great idea. Keep them coming. HAHA!!!!!

Mr
03 ABP TL-S
New Jersey
Mr_@yahoo.com
Old 02-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Instructor

I'm sure that if you go to carfax.com, there will be a record stating that the odometer was tampered with and carfax.com will no longer have any future tracking of your odometer reading after it was tampered with. When you sell your car and buyers go to carfax.com, they will see that the odometer was last tracked on the day that it was fixed and carfax.com will state that as a potential problem with (1) record.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Daimler560--it was replaced due to a minor cosmetic issue and VSA light bleedthrough. Quite frankly, I wasn't expecting them to replace the entire cluster, but instead just take apart just the one gauge face (both problems were contained in just that one gauge) to fix both issues.

Here's something to ponder about regarding carfax reports that mention odometer issues--even if you could get the odometer corrected on the cluster, wouldn't a prospective buyer who obtained a carfax report on my vehicle still be suspicious--assuming of course that the odometer issue shows up on the report? IOW--what good would it do to get the odo corrected if a buyer finds out through carfax or other source that there is a possibility that the odometer is not correct? Just because you can get the odometer corrected doesn't necessarily mean that the fact that the odometer was replaced never happened...sort of a no-win situation, if you ask me.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:22 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tdoh
Daimler560--it was replaced due to a minor cosmetic issue and VSA light bleedthrough. Quite frankly, I wasn't expecting them to replace the entire cluster, but instead just take apart just the one gauge face (both problems were contained in just that one gauge) to fix both issues.
That's been a long time peeve of mine now a days. If something breakes repairmen/women will just take out and replace an entire module containing the ill part as well as a group of other parts that have little to do with the problem. What ever happened to repairing just the problem part a reassembeling the whole works? That kind of high-dedication and skilled-craftsmanship, I think, is going to the dogs.