New Radio or Aux Input?

Old 05-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
New Radio or Aux Input?

I tried searching for a thread on this and couldn't find anything. The community on here is so great I can't even believe it, so, I wanna thank you guys for you help and apologize if I missed something in the search that answers my questions. I'll keep it brief:

I have a 2001 TL, tape deck went out in the radio, it was my life line for aux input.

I have found a kit that allows the addition of aux input to the factory radio, seems pretty easy, however, if the stock head unit continues to break I'll be up a creek without a paddle again once the whole unit is toast so, I was thinking why not just add a new Double DIN unit and call it a day? If I do add a new Double DIN radio I assume it will work with the stock door speakers but what about the subwoofer???
Old 05-05-2018, 01:42 PM
wng
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
If you were only using the tape deck to provide aux via a tape adapter, how about a FM transmitter? You can easily get one that has bluetooth, aux in, plays MP3s, etc. for less than $10. Only disadvantage is that the sound isn't quite as good as native CD or even tape, but if you were using a tape adapter, it's not as good as native tape, either.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Instructor

I was told the audio quality would be significantly worse than the tape deck if I used an FM Transmitter -_-
Old 05-06-2018, 10:39 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
A new head unit will obviously give you the best setup, but you're going to have to deal with the subwoofer and non-standard impedance on the stock speakers (IIRC 2 ohms? it's been a while). I installed a GTA car kit bluetooth adapter, and for the $$ and amount of work required to install, seemed like the best option for me. I play music/podcasts/etc from my phone my entire commute every day, which is 1 hour each way. I've had it for a couple years and still love it. Plus you can accept phone calls with the steering wheel controls.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:56 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
PS - My tape deck went out as well. I tried the FM transmitter and it was total crap.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:12 AM
wng
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes, as I mentioned, a FM transmitter won't sound as good. But depending on your needs and standards, it might suffice. If you're very discerning and enveloping yourself in CD quality music all the time, then a FM transmitter won't do. However, if it's just background music and you're used to using a tape adapter anyway, then it might be enough. Because it's just a few dollars and easy to set up (just plug it into your accessory port), you might as well give it a try and just return it if it doesn't meet your needs. Most importantly, you need to use a clear FM frequency in your city.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zoopzop
I tried searching for a thread on this and couldn't find anything. The community on here is so great I can't even believe it, so, I wanna thank you guys for you help and apologize if I missed something in the search that answers my questions. I'll keep it brief:

I have a 2001 TL, tape deck went out in the radio, it was my life line for aux input.

I have found a kit that allows the addition of aux input to the factory radio, seems pretty easy, however, if the stock head unit continues to break I'll be up a creek without a paddle again once the whole unit is toast so, I was thinking why not just add a new Double DIN unit and call it a day? If I do add a new Double DIN radio I assume it will work with the stock door speakers but what about the subwoofer???
I would recommend getting a double din (or single) for sound quality. The stock speakers will work but the sub won't (I had single din with stock speakers at first). In order for the sub to work you will have to do a workaround to get it to work which I have done to my car and can provide assistance.

Theres two methods and both require taking some of your car apart. 1) connect a single rca cable to the white sub out port on your headunit (HU) and run it under the carpet to the sub amp that's located behind the passenger side of the rear seat. Once there, splice the rca cable, locate the pos and neg of the subwoofer in on the amp and connect the two wires. Its worth noting that a single rca cable contains a positive and negative, the center wire on the rca is positive and the wire that runs around the center is the negative. This also correlates with the plug, the center post is the positive and the ring around it is the negative. Method 2) connect an rca cable from the white sub out on your HU and connect it to the pos and neg cable for the sub out on the oem bose equalizer located behind the nav unit or ac controls depending on your model. This will require you to take the dash off but it's a fairly simple task. You're connecting a rca cable to the same wire in both methods, how they differ is where you are connecting them behind the dash where the signal starts, or running the cable to the amp where it connects.

I went with the second route for simplicity but after hooking it up I ended up putting a line booster by the rear amp because my HU's line out is only 2v and it was really weak. The booster I got is adjustable and converts the signal up to 10v. I played with the adjustability on the booster to find a level that gave me the best controls on my HU for the sub e.g. having the sub levels all the way down on my HU made it quite and all the way up was louder than I liked it. I can provide pictures from my service manual on how to take apart what's needed and what wires to slice into if you decide to go this route. I would also purchase some new speakers of it's in your budget, I put the polk db651 6.5" coaxial speakers in my car and its night and day, I think it was $120 for the 4 speakers and was the best purchase I made for my listening experience. Hope this helps and wasn't too confusing.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Forgot to add this, send me a DM if you do need assistance because I'm pretty busy and don't check all the threads I've posted on as much as I should
Old 05-08-2018, 07:35 AM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Cheapest way to get good audio quality - splice aux port directly into the three audio channels coming from the tape deck. This of course will stop working when your radio stops working.
Most reliable method - probably the GTA kit from what I've heard on here.
The DIY method I did keeps the stock speakers and sub working just as they were, but requires you open up your radio unit all the way and solder wires directly to the board, which may not be in everyone's comfort zone.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Instructor

If the door speakers will work I'd be fine with just getting a Single DIN radio and getting a new subwoofer. Given the issues my car is having now thought I'm thinking that just buying another factory radio and slapping it in would be my best bet. That's just a couple trim panels poped off and couple screws, right? Either that or the AUX in put from GTA with the wires not ran perfectly lol like hanging out of the dash or something obscene like that
Old 05-09-2018, 05:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zoopzop
If the door speakers will work I'd be fine with just getting a Single DIN radio and getting a new subwoofer. Given the issues my car is having now thought I'm thinking that just buying another factory radio and slapping it in would be my best bet. That's just a couple trim panels poped off and couple screws, right? Either that or the AUX in put from GTA with the wires not ran perfectly lol like hanging out of the dash or something obscene like that
I'd say getting a single din is the best upgrade over replacing it with the factory unit and it'll be the same amount of work, just pop off the wood trim and undo all the bolts that's hold the rest of the trim on like you said. More functionality with a new HU and more output power.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:52 PM
Instructor

I like that idea Station, I thought that slapping in a different stereo would be more work. That way I can take the unit with me in the next vehicle
Old 05-11-2018, 01:46 AM
Intermediate

Haha exactly
Old 05-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ntment-950862/
Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a local shop install a USA-Spec iPod adapter in my 2002.

less than $100 and it works great.

not as good as a new head unit, but I liked the price...

Old 06-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting ready to replace my head unit. Only cause i want to use a usb to play music. I went to Best buy and they can install a 2 din unit (i am going with a kenwood for 109.00). Thay said i can still use my factory speakers including my sub and steering wheel controls. They use a interface unit for the steering wheel controls (70.00) and one for the sub (60.00) all done behind the dash. Going to do that first and see how it sounds before i replace the speakers. I am happy with the sound of the factory system but i want to use a memory stick for my music. Plus the new head unit gives blue tooth and other features. Check with best buy and see what they say. You need to talk to one of there installers that has some knowledge about the stuff.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Cool, I will check out Best Buy for sure. I just bought a thing that plugs into the back of the radio that allows an aux input thinking that the radio was easy to take out. Turns out it's more of a job than I thought it was!!!
Old 06-16-2018, 01:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea Grom makes a nice one. Plugs in back of the stock radio. Its 150.00. I was going to do that. But the new head units give more stuff. https://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adap...interface.html
Old 06-19-2018, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by thender
I had a local shop install a USA-Spec iPod adapter in my 2002.

less than $100 and it works great.

not as good as a new head unit, but I liked the price...

Problem is in DAC. DAC in new head units is always, ALWAYS, superior to one in phone even most expensive one. Why? Please Google I do not have energy to explain. So you all that go external DAC route, no matter if iphone, samsung, or mp3 player, you all are going wrong way. Been there checked it all. Plus I would never buy unit incapable to read FLAC.

Last edited by bbsitum; 06-19-2018 at 04:41 PM.