New Owner/Old member

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 12:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner/Old member

Hey guys, ive been a member of this site for a bit but never really posted. I had an 03 Accord VG 6MT coupe few years back with i sold when i moved to Ontario, Canada.

Picked up and 2003 Acura TL thi spass weekend, it has 232,000 KMs(about 165k miles). Purchased from second owner (owner since 2005). Older retired guy, had a lot of service records. The body is a bit rough, a little rush which is being repaired this week and a few dings. Its black so i will have to do some paint correct. Interior is pretty mint. Drives like a dream, all features work.

It does have a somewhat grinding/humming sound when i drive (thinking brake adjustment, wheel bearing or other suspension component) and my mechanic will check into it on Thursday for me and possibly repair it.

I got it for $1300, quote a bit lower that listed far but the old guy understood it needed some work so he took my offer.

I will be digging though some of my bookmarked threads for mods I will be doing once I get the body a little nicer.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
welcome!!
first thing: was the timing belt/ water pump job done at 105kmiles? if not you are on borrowed time

grinding humming often rear wheel bearing- typically right side for some reason, and front wheel bearings- often left side!

Make sure its trans is on Honda DW-1 atf, that became the new spec fluid a few years back and the original zr1 is no longer made

Look for record of EGR cleaning inside intake manifold- probably NOT been done so its approx. 90kmiles overdue! easy diy

Enjoy your new baby, how it runs is more important than exterior~
Old 07-12-2015, 05:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
welcome!!
first thing: was the timing belt/ water pump job done at 105kmiles? if not you are on borrowed time

grinding humming often rear wheel bearing- typically right side for some reason, and front wheel bearings- often left side!

Make sure its trans is on Honda DW-1 atf, that became the new spec fluid a few years back and the original zr1 is no longer made

Look for record of EGR cleaning inside intake manifold- probably NOT been done so its approx. 90kmiles overdue! easy diy

Enjoy your new baby, how it runs is more important than exterior~
thanks for the info. Just got it on the road on Friday. It was the front driver wheel bearing that was the issue, got that replaced. Not sure about the timing belt,previous owner isnt sure, any specific way to tell if it has been done?

As far as the trans goes, no slipping or any issues ive encountered on bad trans before. Ill be sure to get some fresh DW-1 fluid in there in a little bit.

I'll look into the EGR dit, ive done EGR cleaning on a CB7 before,lets see if its similiar.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:29 PM
02 WDP type-S Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geminiking
thanks for the info. Just got it on the road on Friday. It was the front driver wheel bearing that was the issue, got that replaced. Not sure about the timing belt,previous owner isnt sure, any specific way to tell if it has been done?

As far as the trans goes, no slipping or any issues ive encountered on bad trans before. Ill be sure to get some fresh DW-1 fluid in there in a little bit.

I'll look into the EGR dit, ive done EGR cleaning on a CB7 before,lets see if its similiar.

I do not believe there is anyway to tell if there need to be timing belt replaced. You can't really judge the wear of the belt. I just had timing belt, water pump, oil seals, drive belts, and rear motor mount replaced for 800.00. If you've done an EGR change before the procedure should rather similar, I had a CD7 before this TL. If you have any questions 01tl4tl is very knowledgeable and helped me with a lot of my TL problems over the 11 years I've had this car.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you can look at the bolts holding cover over timing belts- covers to camshafts
They will look virgin and all be the same amount of torque
OR they will look like a wrench or socket has been handled by humans and missing some paint on the pointed edges of bolts

egr cleaning is remove the intake manifold from engine and take to workbench-
Using 3 cans carb cleaner and a long wire coat hanger- you poke thru the length of the manifold-- thru the egr passage- and clean each cylinders egr port as you go.
Anywhere you find loads of carbon, have at it!!
see DIY and threads on the subject
Clean IAC inside throttle body while there
Old 07-17-2015, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
How long did the 2nd owner have the car (how many miles)? If more than 60K, then assume it wasn't changed, because I doubt it was changed early by the 1st owner.