AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Need help with power steering pump (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/need-help-power-steering-pump-973889/)

Chris Kaz 10-09-2018 03:01 PM

Need help with power steering pump

Hey guys new to the thread, i just bought an 02 acura tl type s, just wondering if a base tl power steering pump will work on the type s

thoiboi 10-09-2018 03:04 PM

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2002...s-pump-bracket
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2002...s-pump-bracket

they're the same so yeah.

Chris Kaz 10-09-2018 03:08 PM

i installed the base pump that i have and it was working in the car that i took it out of but in my car it does not put pressure through the system and i have no power steering whatsoever

thoiboi 10-09-2018 03:09 PM

Probably just air in the system, did you replace the fluid too?

Chris Kaz 10-09-2018 03:15 PM

No i did not change the fluid but it was also not being moved through the system at all, no movement in the reservoir and there was absolutely no power steering when i started the car

thoiboi 10-09-2018 03:17 PM

used pump? probably bad then.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-scans-841134/

just rebuild the pump

Iggy 10-09-2018 03:52 PM

Overhaul isn't that difficult. Did mine a while ago, works good.

Here's a couple good vids.

Chojun 10-09-2018 04:14 PM

I rebuilt my power steering pump a few months ago. It's not a difficult job. However, given the internals of the pump, unless the pump is seized then it will output at least some fluid pressure (if the pump's driveshaft were seized, you'd hear a terrible screaming noise via the belt before it self destructed and tore up your accessory belt and contributed to other destruction in the area).

More than likely your steering rack valve body is bad/clogged or you have a kink in one of the return hoses.

Chris Kaz 10-09-2018 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chojun (Post 16310421)
I rebuilt my power steering pump a few months ago. It's not a difficult job. However, given the internals of the pump, unless the pump is seized then it will output at least some fluid pressure (if the pump's driveshaft were seized, you'd hear a terrible screaming noise via the belt before it self destructed and tore up your accessory belt and contributed to other destruction in the area).

More than likely your steering rack valve body is bad/clogged or you have a kink in one of the return hoses.

I am just confused because i know that the pump worked fine when i pulled it out of the other car, i know that nothing was seized or leaking and ive read that they are somewhat the same but when i look inside the high pressure inlet there is a different hole configuration between the two

Iggy 10-09-2018 08:09 PM

PS pump is the same for all 99-03 TL including type-s so not sure why it's different. I suppose you could try taking off the high pressure connection from the pump and pour some fluid in to maybe prime it. If it's a good pump though, one would think it would have no problem drawing from the reservoir without priming. Double check the reservoir screen to be sure it isn't clogged. Barring that, like Chojun said, must be a restriction somewhere.

Is it making any strange noise at all?

Iggy 10-09-2018 08:38 PM

Out of curiosity, what happened to the old pump that necessitated it's replacement? Is it possible it sent debris through the system?

Chris Kaz 10-09-2018 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 16310521)
PS pump is the same for all 99-03 TL including type-s so not sure why it's different. I suppose you could try taking off the high pressure connection from the pump and pour some fluid in to maybe prime it. If it's a good pump though, one would think it would have no problem drawing from the reservoir without priming. Double check the reservoir screen to be sure it isn't clogged. Barring that, like Chojun said, must be a restriction somewhere.

Is it making any strange noise at all?

not at all it doesn’t sounds like it’s pulling air but it’s not getting any fluid either

Chris Kaz 10-09-2018 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 16310540)
Out of curiosity, what happened to the old pump that necessitated it's replacement? Is it possible it sent debris through the system?

the old pump had a small air leak as it was foaming up the reservoir. I changed the rubber oring on the high pressure line and it stopped the foaming so I’m assuming there was an air leak but for some reason the pump kept making the same noise so I thought it was bad

Iggy 10-10-2018 05:05 AM

Gotcha. I'd say rebuild the pump that was originally in the type-s and slap it back in. One of the internal O-rings was leaking I bet.

I'm thinking the malfunctioning donor pump is aftermarket junk. If it sat for any length of time, the cheap o-rings probably dried out which is why it can't pull a vacuum.

Chris Kaz 10-10-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 16310605)
Gotcha. I'd say rebuild the pump that was originally in the type-s and slap it back in. One of the internal O-rings was leaking I bet.

I'm thinking the malfunctioning donor pump is aftermarket junk. If it sat for any length of time, the cheap o-rings probably dried out which is why it can't pull a vacuum.

where would you say is the best place to get a rebuild kit quick

Iggy 10-10-2018 06:07 PM

You might find one at a local parts store but it won't include the bearing. I grabbed all the OEM seals and bearing at my local dealer

Chris Kaz 10-11-2018 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 16311173)
You might find one at a local parts store but it won't include the bearing. I grabbed all the OEM seals and bearing at my local dealer

i ended up getting another used pump from a known shop for 100$ because no one had the seals I called Acura and they said they don’t sell a seal kit for it

Iggy 10-11-2018 09:57 AM

Yep. Oem seals you have to buy individually.

Hopefully this pump works for ya.

Chris Kaz 10-11-2018 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 16311386)
Yep. Oem seals you have to buy individually.

Hopefully this pump works for ya.

never ended up getting the pump because I actually took the low pressure seal on the type s pump off and replaced the seal and it works great! Should have remember that one from the last tl I had

Iggy 10-11-2018 01:56 PM

:thumbsup:

Arkady 10-12-2018 02:48 PM

By the way Chris, to save some money on OEM parts you can get most of what you need from your Honda dealer instead of an Acura dealer! Just a pro tip to save some cash here and there

Chojun 10-12-2018 03:40 PM

I bought my pump rebuild kit on Amazon for like $22-23, for what it's worth.

thoiboi 10-12-2018 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16310372)
used pump? probably bad then.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-scans-841134/

just rebuild the pump

:poke:

the entire list of parts is in that thread.. build the 'kit' yourself and save money