AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Need help - Failed the inspection for aftermarket HID (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/need-help-failed-inspection-aftermarket-hid-974332/)

TL260power 10-24-2018 06:20 PM

Need help - Failed the inspection for aftermarket HID

So I failed the inspection today because I have these installed https://www.hidextra.com/d2r-hid-kit-35w-55w/
I had it installed last year because I was told, if I can remember, the OEM ballast or igniter or something else didn't work anymore so I needed to replace it. I think the mechanic said it would cost $300 a headlight. So I bought the HID extra kit. So can someone help me select which parts I need to purchase. I know purchasing the bulb alone is not going to work.

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2002...adlight-02-03/

Iggy 10-24-2018 06:47 PM

He's full of shit unless you got bulbs brighter than the OEM 5000k in which case I could see his argument. Otherwise, you have not modified the headlight in any way other than the power source that drives the bulbs.

Bajantl 10-24-2018 11:11 PM

If your model year has reflector headlights and the inspector sees HID bulbs, they will fail you, unless you can show that your vehicle came with HID bulbs from the factory. ( print out the parts list for the bulb and show that it states HID and what you have is equivalent.) if your replacement bulb is not the same color temp and output as the factory, you may try to match that by going with a 4000-4300K temp.

Originally Posted by TL260power (Post 16319391)
So I failed the inspection today because I have these installed https://www.hidextra.com/d2r-hid-kit-35w-55w/
I had it installed last year because I was told, if I can remember, the OEM ballast or igniter or something else didn't work anymore so I needed to replace it. I think the mechanic said it would cost $300 a headlight. So I bought the HID extra kit. So can someone help me select which parts I need to purchase. I know purchasing the bulb alone is not going to work.

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2002...adlight-02-03/

TL260power 10-24-2018 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 16319407)
He's full of shit unless you got bulbs brighter than the OEM 5000k in which case I could see his argument. Otherwise, you have not modified the headlight in any way other than the power source that drives the bulbs.

The bulbs are 5000k. I know going over 5000k will be consider illegal so I made sure of it when I purchase this kit.

TL260power 10-25-2018 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bajantl (Post 16319523)
If your model year has reflector headlights and the inspector sees HID bulbs, they will fail you, unless you can show that your vehicle came with HID bulbs from the factory. ( print out the parts list for the bulb and show that it states HID and what you have is equivalent.) if your replacement bulb is not the same color temp and output as the factory, you may try to match that by going with a 4000-4300K temp.

The ballast is mounted right near the light bulb socket so he saw it right away. The temp in the aftermarket is 5000k. So in this case just switch out the aftermarket with OEM bulbs. No need to remove the aftermarket ballast? https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...9tYXRpYw%3D%3D

Also how can I find out if the temp 5000k is legal in my state? Because I read somewhere that it was.

Iggy 10-25-2018 06:40 AM

Why not call the inspector and ask him precisely why he failed your lights and if he is aware that the OEM headlamps are HID?

I would say grab a set of 4300K D2R bulbs and you should be good to go assuming the aim is properly adjusted.

08KBP_VA 10-25-2018 10:25 AM

Assuming NOVA is northern virginia which I am from so I am curious as well his specific reason for failure. It should say on the rejection sticker specifics or your work order

thoiboi 10-25-2018 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bajantl (Post 16319523)

Don't all TL Type S have HID standard :squint:

TL260power 10-25-2018 11:40 AM

On the receipt It says "VA STATE INSPECTION Failed for having HID headlights"

thoiboi 10-25-2018 11:43 AM

So sounds like that inspector didn't know that the TL has HID's stock :doh:

beatsme 10-25-2018 12:11 PM

Copy of Virgina Regulation

Here's a copy (direct cut and paste) from Virginia Regulations for Inspections. HARSH.

19 VAC 30-70-140. Headlamps; except motorcycles

A. Inspect for and reject if:1. Any motor vehicle is not equipped with headlamps of an approved type. The headlamps must be marked with the headlamp manufacturer's name or trademark, and DOT. If the headlamp bulbs are replaceable, the headlamp lens must be marked with the headlamp light source type (bulb) for which it was designed and the bulb must match the lens code.2. Headlights are not of the same approved type (Halogen, HID, etc.) except sealed beam headlamps. At least two headlamps are required.3. In any headlamp the lens is cracked, broken, discolored, or rotated away from the proper position, or the reflector is not clean and bright.4. Moisture or water buildup in headlamp is such that it affects the aiming pattern.5. Headlamps omit light other than white. Light tints of color may be acceptable if the headlamp and headlamp bulbs are marked as required.6. Bulbs are not of an approved type and marked with all of the following: light source type, the manufacturer's name or trade mark, and DOT. NOTE: - Approved headlamp bulbs: HB1, HB2, HB3, HB3A, HB4, HB4A, HB5, H1, H3, H7, H8, H8B, H9, H9B, H11, H11B, H11C, H13, H13C, H15, HIR1, HIR2. - Approved headlamp bulbs that require ballast: 9500, D1R, D1S, D2R, D2S, D3R, D3S, D4R, D4S, D5S, D7S, D8S. - Approved headlamp ballasts must be marked with the light source type (bulb) and DOT. The bulb type marked on the ballast must match the marking on the headlamp lens.7. Any filament or bulb in headlamps fails to burn properly or headlamps are not at the same location or configuration as designed by manufacturer. (Location and type of headlamps can be found in subsection F of this section.)8. Wiring is dangling or connections are loose; or if proper filaments do not burn at different switch positions; or if switches, including foot or hand dimmer, do not function properly and are not convenient to the driver.9. Foreign material is placed on or in front of the headlamp lens or interferes with the beam from the lamp. No glazing may be placed over or in front of the headlamps unless it is a part of an approved headlamp assembly.a. Reject if vehicle has wire, unapproved lens or plastic covers, any other materials that are not original equipment or any colored material placed on or in front of the headlamps. b. Vehicles registered as street rods may have clear, rigid plastic or glass headlamp lens covers in front of sealed beam units to replace original manufacturer's equipment.c. EXCEPTION: A clean impact film known as Headlight Savers produced by Grand Prix Motoring Accessories may be applied to the headlight lens to absorb impact of rocks, etc.10. Lamps can be moved easily by hand due to a broken fender or loose support, or if a good ground is not made by the mounting.11. Headlamps, auxiliary driving lamps and front fog lamps are not mounted so that the beams are aimable and the mounting does not prevent the aim of the lighting device from being disturbed while the vehicle is operating on public roads. All lamps shall be securely mounted on a rigid part of the vehicle.12. A headlamp visor is over two inches long unless part of the original body design.13. The high beam indicator in the driver's compartment does not burn when the high beam is on or does not go off when the low beam is on. (Vehicles not originally equipped with an indicator are not required to comply unless sealed beam headlamps have been installed.)

TL260power 10-25-2018 02:20 PM

So I just spoke with the inspector and told him to check online that TLS come standard with HID. That I only upgraded the HID system for 5000k bulbs but is willing to switch out the bulbs to standard OEM. He didn't believe me at first but checked and accepted the kit. He thought these cars didn't come with HID at all.

Iggy 10-25-2018 03:46 PM

That shit pisses me off to no end. He didn't even query the customer or check the book himself. I've had run-ins with incompetent inspectors over the years and it just boils my blood. Glad you got it worked out.

thoiboi 10-25-2018 04:11 PM

Idiot :doh:

Glad you were able to get it resolved nevertheless. :cheers:

08KBP_VA 10-29-2018 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by TL260power (Post 16319951)
So I just spoke with the inspector and told him to check online that TLS come standard with HID. That I only upgraded the HID system for 5000k bulbs but is willing to switch out the bulbs to standard OEM. He didn't believe me at first but checked and accepted the kit. He thought these cars didn't come with HID at all.

Yup thats why i said read why, they have to explain the reason for failure. Glad he listened to you. Waiting to see what he finds next year

tripleguy 11-04-2018 09:11 AM

Just a side note: have we reached the tipping point on the brightness of these bulbs yet? My state has no inspection parameters for headlights. Car manufacturers seem to be chasing each other to see who can come out with the very brightest headlights. Might as well bungee a couple arc welders to the front of you car and drive down the road. Good for the drivers of those cars but no so good for oncoming traffic. Does anyone even flash you for having brights on anymore? How can you tell? I'm reluctant to flash for fear of getting my retinas seared if the oncoming car doesn't have them on and flashed me back. The worst are BMWs, Mercedes and even some Honda SUVs, especially when they're behind you.

TL260power 11-07-2018 11:29 PM

Update: So he passed me last week and said that I will have to change just the bulbs back to OEM according to the state trooper. His not sure what will happen with next year's inspection if I don't.

The major issue I think I will have from now on with future inspectors is the aftermarket HID Ballast mounted on the back of the headlight. Inspectors will think I installed an illegal HID kit.

I always swapped out the OEM light bulbs for a higher temp (5000K) bulbs and never failed the inspection. 5000K temp is safe zone. Police never pulled me over for my lights unless if one is burned out.

08KBP_VA 11-08-2018 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by TL260power (Post 16328579)
Update: So he passed me last week and said that I will have to change just the bulbs back to OEM according to the state trooper. His not sure what will happen with next year's inspection if I don't.

The major issue I think I will have from now on with future inspectors is the aftermarket HID Ballast mounted on the back of the headlight. Inspectors will think I installed an illegal HID kit.

I always swapped out the OEM light bulbs for a higher temp (5000K) bulbs and never failed the inspection. 5000K temp is safe zone. Police never pulled me over for my lights unless if one is burned out.

From VA State Police Safety Division Website Inspection Procedures...not sure where all that other crap came from but below is all I have ever been inspected for on all my cars. Think you need to find a new inspector.

. - INSPECT HEADLIGHTS FOR:
  • Approved type, aim and output.
  • Condition of lamps, lenses, wiring and switch.
  • High beam indicator.

acura_fantacy 11-08-2018 02:45 PM

ALL 2G TL come with HID low beam, not just TL-S.
They use D2R bulbs which I believe is for reflector housing, later TL changed to projector use D2S bulbs.

thoiboi 11-08-2018 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 08kbp_va (Post 16328704)
from va state police safety division website inspection procedures...not sure where all that other crap came from but below is all i have ever been inspected for on all my cars. think you need to find a new inspector.

. - inspect headlights for:
  • approved type, aim and output.
  • condition of lamps, lenses, wiring and switch.
  • high beam indicator.

this.