need advice on making the rear motor mount easier

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
need advice on making the rear motor mount easier

currently have my car sitting on a Lift, in the process of me changing the rear engine mount. Im wondering if I can easily remove the mount in these steps: remove strut tower brace, then lift the car, then remove the two bolts that need to be removed under the car, go to the top remove the 17mm bolt on top of the mount(where the engine bolts to the mount), remove the 4 14 mm bolts that bolt to the frame then jack the engine and remove the other bolts that can be accessed from above the car.

It would be alot easier since im using a lift to remove the bottom bolts before anything on top but wanted to make sure its safe to do so.

I can also use a tranny jack while removing the bolts from under on a lift but of course that would be removed when lowering the car.

just trying to stay safe and not damage my car
Old 05-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Best way to stay safe on this job is to make you jack up engine by the oil pan. Don`t use a bottle jack (might puncture the oil pan) use a piece of 2x4 on top of the jack and jack the engine up just enough to get your job done. Loosening the bolt on the front motor mount might not hurt either.
The following users liked this post:
02tlnate (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
between the side front and trans mounts the motor isnt going to fall. You can remove everything then raise the the car, use the trans lift to raise the motor and slide the mount out. You may need to remove the side engine mount bolt to make it raise more to make it come out easier.
The following users liked this post:
02tlnate (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
between the side front and trans mounts the motor isnt going to fall. You can remove everything then raise the the car, use the trans lift to raise the motor and slide the mount out. You may need to remove the side engine mount bolt to make it raise more to make it come out easier.
I see what your saying, I just had the idea a min ago to break the bolts loose on lift, then lower car, put on jacks stands and jack the engine with wood, then remove the top bolts and crawl under to finish the bottom, i think that would work pretty good, so I can stay in tune with following the DIY write up

Thanks for the post guys!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Banned

Update: got all the mounts in! And she rides really good, I only paid $80 for all of them on eBay from a seller named zamo-Zuan or something but they are doing great!
One thing though is I forgot to put the little weight thing back on the side mount but oh well, I'll do that another day when I have more time