Navigation works but clock not working

Old 08-20-2016, 08:36 PM
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Navigation works but clock not working

Hello, I have 99 tl and the clock reads 0:00 when navigation boots up. I have disconnected the battery and put the navi code and it still doesn't work. If I manually change the clock time, it will not change with every minute passing. It has the pcmcia adapter instead of hard drive. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is absolutely crazy! My '99 TL has EXACTLY the same problem and it just started yesterday too.

I also have the PCMIA adapter for the Nav unit. Nav functions as normal and clock reads 0:00. If you go into setup to set the clock, the system automatically acquires the correct time with the GPS signal. As stated, the minutes then will not change as time passes. Turning the car off resets the clock to 0:00 every time.

I checked the clock backup fuse (normally pulled for resetting ECU) and it is not blown.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

OK. After some searching, I may have found the answer to our problem on this forum. It is the post "NAV clock reads 0:00" from Huskie_Jon posted on 8-19-2016.
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-v...0-00-a-948802/

He found that there is a battery in the trunk-mounted navigation unit that may need replacing. He stated, "I have worked on plenty of PCs, and when a PC loses time or CMOS settings, it is usually because the 3V battery on the motherboard is bad. I took apart the nav box hanging in my trunk, and what did I find but a little 3V battery. (Sanyo CR14250SE-FT) I ordered a replacement from Amazon. I went with the slow, free delivery option, so I will have to check my theory in a week."

Hopefully replacing this battery will solve our little problem. It is amazingly coincidental that 3 of us have the same issue at exactly the same time.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:22 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Im telling you if its not one thing its another! Drivers window and radio died this past week and been working on that and noticed same exact thing my navigation time is not holding. Changed the time and it just sticks at the time i changed it to. When I turn off and on the car getting the 0:00.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clock reads 0:00

Did replacing the battery fix the problem?
Old 08-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny14
Im telling you if its not one thing its another! Drivers window and radio died this past week and been working on that and noticed same exact thing my navigation time is not holding. Changed the time and it just sticks at the time i changed it to. When I turn off and on the car getting the 0:00.
To be fair, we're talking about a 17 year old car. Electronics, especially ones from the late 90s, don't last forever.

Besides, window regulators appear to be a common failure on the TL.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:46 PM
10th Gear

Acura tl 0:00 clock

I understand things don't last forever, do I have to replace the Navi Unit or just the battery?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Yikes
To be fair, we're talking about a 17 year old car. Electronics, especially ones from the late 90s, don't last forever.

Besides, window regulators appear to be a common failure on the TL.
Yea I hear ya. Just had to vent a bit lol. I understand things are going to break but when it all hits you at once its a bit annoying. As for the window its not the regulator, switch or the window module but appears to be with the wiring harness itself. Its weird if I bend the harness a bit it loses its connection and the window wont go up. Still trying to figure that one out!

Originally Posted by olchev57
I understand things don't last forever, do I have to replace the Navi Unit or just the battery?
I havent gotten to it yet myself but just waiting to see if others who have already started it fixed the issue. So like you Im just waiting for a confirmation as well.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:49 AM
9th Gear

I replaced the 3V battery in the NAV system, and I still have the same 0:00 time problem. But I seem to have stumbled on to something else. When I turned the car back on, I was prompted for my 4 digit NAV security code. I entered my code twice, and it was not accepted. Just for fun, I tried 0-0-0-0. It worked. I seem to have figured out how to clear the security code. This means, I may be able to install and use my spare NAV unit.

Maybe it is just a coincidence that slowboat and I encountered the same previously unseen problem within the same week on our seventeen year old cars. Or maybe it isn't. This could be similar to the millennium bug, where an internal counter ran out of bits,and it changed the sign bit. The clock might start working seventeen years from now.

I will keep you updated
Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 PM
9th Gear

Could you all do me a favor and let me know when you first noticed this 0:00 problem? For me it was 8/18/2016. This could be an epidemic.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Huskie_Jon
I replaced the 3V battery in the NAV system, and I still have the same 0:00 time problem. But I seem to have stumbled on to something else. When I turned the car back on, I was prompted for my 4 digit NAV security code. I entered my code twice, and it was not accepted. Just for fun, I tried 0-0-0-0. It worked. I seem to have figured out how to clear the security code. This means, I may be able to install and use my spare NAV unit.

Maybe it is just a coincidence that slowboat and I encountered the same previously unseen problem within the same week on our seventeen year old cars. Or maybe it isn't. This could be similar to the millennium bug, where an internal counter ran out of bits,and it changed the sign bit. The clock might start working seventeen years from now.

I will keep you updated
So the time is now working correctly?

Could you all do me a favor and let me know when you first noticed this 0:00 problem? For me it was 8/18/2016. This could be an epidemic.
Mine started around the same time give and take a day.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:06 PM
9th Gear

I could not fix the problem. Since I now know how to reset the security code, I tried installing my spare NAV system, and it did the exact same thing.

If theWrangler99 did not wait long to start this thread, I count him, slowboat, johnny14, and Huskie_Jon (Me) all have the same problem at the same time. Count me twice. It looks like the NAV system had an expiration date.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Racer

I could not fix the problem. Since I now know how to reset the security code, I tried installing my spare NAV system, and it did the exact same thing.

If theWrangler99 did not wait long to start this thread, I count him, slowboat, johnny14, and Huskie_Jon (Me) all have the same problem at the same time. Count me twice. It looks like the NAV system had an expiration date.
So is everyone on a 1999 model TL? N/M just re-read the thread. So it appears this may be a 99 TL issues. Wondering if anyone else out there is having the same issue????
I know the maps eventually will not be able to update them anymore but would be pretty stupid for the NAV system to just die like that. That just doesnt make any sense!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Are you talking about the in-dash nav unit? I assume you're talking about the actual navigation computer in the trunk. BMWs from the late 90s and early 2000s have a similar problem. They slow down until they stop working entirely. I wonder if the nav computer from newer TLs, say 2003 would be a plug and play replacement.

Last edited by Yikes; 08-23-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:27 PM
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Count me in too. I just didn't have the time to start the thread and ask for assistance on the same day it started to act up.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Well shucks. It seemed logical that Huskie_Jon's idea of replacing the NAV unit battery would fix the problem.

My car is '99 TL. Production date 7/99 with factory NAV. As far as the date that I noticed the problem, it was 8/20/16. However, my car sat for a week prior to this when I was on vacation. When I started the car last Sat. 8/20/16, the clock worked but was 16 minutes slow. I went into the setup menu to set the clock and that's when I noticed something was haywire. The clock set to 8:13 A.M. I drove for a half hour and arrived at my destination at exactly 8:13 A.M. I thought, "MY CAR IS A FREAKING TIME MACHINE!' When I turned it off and then back on, the clock read 0:00.

After reading all of this, it does seem there is like a Y2K bug in the programming that has killed all of our clocks.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:48 PM
10th Gear

0:00 clock

My issue started 8/18/16.... if I put in another navi unit will the old code work? If not how do I get a new code?????
Old 08-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
I have a 99 TL with Navi in storage. I will go check to see if the clock is working correctly. I am curious since everyone here with a 99 and Navi is having the same issue.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:35 PM
Racer

My issue started 8/18/16.... if I put in another navi unit will the old code work? If not how do I get a new code?????
The code follows the Navigation Unit so you will have to get that code. You can easily get it online now a days just need to know the vin of the donor car of have whoever you are purchasing it from provide that.

Originally Posted by musiclevelz5
I have a 99 TL with Navi in storage. I will go check to see if the clock is working correctly. I am curious since everyone here with a 99 and Navi is having the same issue.
Since you stated you have a Navi in storage did you remove yours or do you currently have another one in the car now and if so are you having the same problem?

Did you swap it out with another harddrive type Navi unit? Im somewhat curious to see if anyones got a spare DVD type and if we can put that in to see if starts to work? Also curious to see if other 99 TL owners with navi are experiencing the same issue?
Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 AM
Instructor

It may be wide spread. I've had a couple of people contact me asking for help. Paul from navhelpdotcom

I hope to do some testing tonight to see if the problem can be affected by the owner.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by paulmooney
It may be wide spread. I've had a couple of people contact me asking for help. Paul from navhelpdotcom

I hope to do some testing tonight to see if the problem can be affected by the owner.
Ok well thats good to know that its not just us so thank you for the confirmation. Glad we have someone like you who knows these looking into it as well. Ive tried calling Alpine support as well as Acura Navigation Support and of course they have no clue!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Instructor

I think we are experiencing our Y2K problem. On boot mine also now shows 0:00 for the clock. If you go into the hidden menu it shows the date as January 1997 so I suspect it is getting the data from the satellite signal and mishandling it in a calculation. For example taking the number of seconds since some arbitrary date like 1997 when they developed this unit and have now overrun the storage location. They must not have expected us to still be using this after 17 years.

I did notice that if I go into Setup, and Clock and select my time zone the clock displays until I turn the key off and then displays 0 again on boot. So we have that workaround.

Not sure how likely we can get Acura/Alpine to patch this. We all need to request it. This is the most recent contact info I have used for them:
49 States: 800-421-2284, Ext. 8888
CA only: 800-262-4150, Ext. 8888
Alpine Electronics
2012 Abalone Ave., Unit D
Torrance, CA 90501

Also tested with a 2000+ DVD unit and the problem does not occur. Hidden menu shows the correct date.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:25 PM
Racer

I think we are experiencing our Y2K problem. On boot mine also now shows 0:00 for the clock. If you go into the hidden menu it shows the date as January 1997 so I suspect it is getting the data from the satellite signal and mishandling it in a calculation. For example taking the number of seconds since some arbitrary date like 1997 when they developed this unit and have now overrun the storage location. They must not have expected us to still be using this after 17 years.

I did notice that if I go into Setup, and Clock and select my time zone the clock displays until I turn the key off and then displays 0 again on boot. So we have that workaround.

Not sure how likely we can get Acura/Alpine to patch this. We all need to request it. This is the most recent contact info I have used for them:
49 States: 800-421-2284, Ext. 8888
CA only: 800-262-4150, Ext. 8888
Alpine Electronics
2012 Abalone Ave., Unit D
Torrance, CA 90501

Also tested with a 2000+ DVD unit and the problem does not occur. Hidden menu shows the correct date.
Paul the work around you are stating are you sure its calculating the time? Because when I go into the setup and change the time it shows the correct time but it won't move up in minutes. For example if I put it for 12:30 it will continue to show 12:30 even though its been 30 minutes later and should be showing 1:00. So if thats what you are talking about it may not be the workaround we are looking for. If you are doing it differently please let me know. By the way how are you getting into the hidden menu screen? Ive also called Alpine and spoke to them but they weren't sure what I was talking about!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:10 PM
Instructor

I'll double check to be sure you and I get the same behavior. Yes that would make it less of a work around. But if you needed to know the time you could still press the buttons to get the current time.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:37 PM
10th Gear

This is crazy, has anyone contacted acura and what did they say?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:22 PM
Racer

I'll double check to be sure you and I get the same behavior. Yes that would make it less of a work around. But if you needed to know the time you could still press the buttons to get the current time.
Ok I was able to test it, if you keep it on the screen where you change the time it will change so you can keep it on that screen but if you go back into maps, AC, etc it will show the time but it won't update!

This is crazy, has anyone contacted acura and what did they say?
Ive contact Acura Navi Support as well as Alpine and they both have no clue whats going on! Maybe if they get enough complaints or calls they will look into this but considering its age they might just state we are SOL!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:14 AM
10th Gear

I will call today too
Old 08-26-2016, 10:06 AM
10th Gear

clock 0:00

Called customer service number in this thread, this is alpines number. I'm getting a canned answer that it will be $358.00 to fix, if they can't fix it I will be $50. I explained its a software issue and was told that they are not technical only customer service. She recommends taking it to Acura. I said this is a Nave issue and Acura can't fix. Sorry sir was the answer I got. To me this sounds like we are all going to out of luck, (need to by a sun dial to tell time).
Old 08-26-2016, 04:41 PM
Instructor

I'm emailing details here Acura Client Relations | Acura Owners Site
Old 08-26-2016, 06:11 PM
10th Gear

I replaced the internal battery in the GPS today. I have reset the GPS many times before and now my PIN does not work too ....HELP
Old 08-27-2016, 11:53 AM
Racer

Called customer service number in this thread, this is alpines number. I'm getting a canned answer that it will be $358.00 to fix, if they can't fix it I will be $50. I explained its a software issue and was told that they are not technical only customer service. She recommends taking it to Acura. I said this is a Nave issue and Acura can't fix. Sorry sir was the answer I got. To me this sounds like we are all going to out of luck, (need to by a sun dial to tell time).
I got the run around with them as well! I will be damned if Im going to pay $400 for a repaired Navi unit for just the clock feature!

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

I replaced the internal battery in the GPS today. I have reset the GPS many times before and now my PIN does not work too ....HELP
Try unplugging the Navi unit wait about 15+ minutes reconnect it and try again. Not sure replacing the battery would cause that as another member did it with no problems. Type in the pin slowly and hopefully that works!
Old 08-27-2016, 04:12 PM
10th Gear

Acura GPS code

OK after replacing the battery in the GPS unit, 0000 worked as my code. the CLOCK still set to 0:00

I have a GPS from a 2003 TL and retrieved the code from MYACURA, the code does not work, but the clock does display. I retrieved the code with the 2003 vin and the 1999 vin, the code came up the same.

Any idea's for the correct code on this GPS unit.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Racer

OK after replacing the battery in the GPS unit, 0000 worked as my code. the CLOCK still set to 0:00

I have a GPS from a 2003 TL and retrieved the code from MYACURA, the code does not work, but the clock does display. I retrieved the code with the 2003 vin and the 1999 vin, the code came up the same.

For the 2003 Navi unit you have to use the vin and serial# from the donor vehicle to get the code. I have an 02 Navi unit and currently have that in the car and times showing fine but having issues with massive delays with the map. Not sure if its the unit or map cd??? I still prefer the hard drive but till we can come to a resolution on the time I may just use the dvd unit.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
Guys the bypass to the password is 0000 but first you must remove the internal back up battery in the navigation unit for about 10 minutes.
I tried this back in 2011 when I did a navi conversion to my 2000 non navi TL and couldnt get the code from acura online or by phone. Wanted to make a DIY on the password issue but never found the time to.

About the time being 0:00 I never got to fix that on a 99 TL I had but my guess is if its not the back up battery its a software issue on the 99s, Also these units get their time thru satellites so you can try to adjust the time then disconnect the antenna from the navi and see if it stays with the time. after a few restarts.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ErickUa5
Guys the bypass to the password is 0000 but first you must remove the internal back up battery in the navigation unit for about 10 minutes.
I tried this back in 2011 when I did a navi conversion to my 2000 non navi TL and couldnt get the code from acura online or by phone. Wanted to make a DIY on the password issue but never found the time to.

About the time being 0:00 I never got to fix that on a 99 TL I had but my guess is if its not the back up battery its a software issue on the 99s, Also these units get their time thru satellites so you can try to adjust the time then disconnect the antenna from the navi and see if it stays with the time. after a few restarts.
Funny you stated that I remember reading somewhere about the p/w 0000 wasn't sure as Ive never done it. Worth a shot for people who can't get the p/w for the unit!

As for the time its definitely a software issue! Its not an issue with satellite as it reads the time fine when you go to the section to adjust the time but its just not calculating correctly on the display other wise. I doubt Acura will do anything to cure this due to its age so we all maybe screwed. Time to upgrade to the DVD unit! Once I figure out the lag the DVD unit may not be so bad but will see. Only benefit with the hard drive is that you can get the current maps for free as for the DVD unit you have to purchase it!
Old 09-02-2016, 02:29 PM
10th Gear

Thanks

Originally Posted by ErickUa5

I took the unit in to have the battery removed and reseated. They charged me $40.00 and now my GPS works.. T H A N K S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :
Old 09-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Racer

I took the unit in to have the battery removed and reseated. They charged me $40.00 and now my GPS works.. T H A N K S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :
So you had the battery reseated and the time is working or is the GPS working because you couldn't get into the unit with your previous code? Can you clarify! Reason why I ask is that a few has already replaced the battery which didn't resolve the time issue?!?
Old 09-03-2016, 10:39 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by johnny14
So you had the battery reseated and the time is working or is the GPS working because you couldn't get into the unit with your previous code? Can you clarify! Reason why I ask is that a few has already replaced the battery which didn't resolve the time issue?!?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below was my post.... the 99 GPS still is set to 0:00 after doing the battery. I replaced it with a 2003 GPS and had the battery reseated. ALL IS WELL NOW.

FYI: Acura said the reason the code did not work was because the 2003 is incompatible with a 99 tl. There codes are wrong more than right, when I bought the 99 tl it took me weeks to get the correct code from England.

Also Alpine said they would reset the code for $358 with shipping ..... what a scam

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 09-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Racer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below was my post.... the 99 GPS still is set to 0:00 after doing the battery. I replaced it with a 2003 GPS and had the battery reseated. ALL IS WELL NOW.

FYI: Acura said the reason the code did not work was because the 2003 is incompatible with a 99 tl. There codes are wrong more than right, when I bought the 99 tl it took me weeks to get the correct code from England.

Also Alpine said they would reset the code for $358 with shipping ..... what a scam

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah ok figured that was the case just needed clarifications!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:29 AM
4th Gear

Same thing

My 1999 TL is doing the same 0:00 time thing. I noticed it on 9/2/16, but that was my first time in the car since two week prior. It is obviously a Y2K timeout type situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation works but clock not working