My day at the dealer... This is good stuff... But long...

Old 08-11-2003, 08:48 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool My day at the dealer... This is good stuff... But long...

Well, I'm very happy... Mostly...

heres the story:

Anyone here that reads all the posts and knows me at all knows ive been complaining that ive noticed a decent drop in power in my car over the last few months. more so than under normal summer circumstances. But i could never pinpoint the problem.

So a week ago, i get a check engine light, and i take her in. the code was "catalytic deterioration". So we ordered a new cat, and i brought her in today to get it put in. I also gave my service advisor the list of other stuff wrong.

So while the tech is working on it, he comes in and says "dude look"... He takes me out to the bays, and shows me under my hood. holy ****... thats one big-ass crack in my motor mount. not like ha ha happy fun crack, more like we could stick a screwdriver in it. So my left motor mount was totally FUBAR. ok, that explains the rough idle, the extra vibrations...

whats weird is that i had to replace the power steering belt a few weeks ago, and i had to unbolt that motor mount but i never noticed it.

Then he points to the rear motor mount... im like "you gotta be kidding me" Yep, you guessed it. i killed the rear mount too.

Thank god the car is certified, it was all covered under warranty.

He also told me some of the extra noise i was complaining about was coming from the auto-tensioner, so we replaced that too

the rear motor mount wasnt in stock, so i get that tuesday. but regardless, that rear mount was a big cause of my problems... slow acceleration, bad idle, steering wheel vibrations, a few other things....

Heres the list of the OTHER stuff i needed fixed... some is covered, some is not.

Drivers side seat wobbles | ordered new track, under warranty.

Trim next to window controls on both left doors separating from doors. | acura told me to go f*ck myself on that one. it should be covered damnit, im actually pissed about that.

Fishy transmission, weird symptoms | im paying for a tranny flush. if that dont fix it, its getting replaced under warranty.

Funny "gurgle" noise from behind glove box. can only hear it when im stopped, radio off, and A/C on. | turned out to be one of the A/C valves, apparently this is normal. whatever.

Front left suspension squeaky. | this was my fault. im not telling why

Weird alarm problem... when i get out of the car, with the lights still on, and try to arm the car, it wont arm till the lights turn off. | acura was like "what do you want us to do about it?" ok... whatever again...

Drivers seat heater only heats back, not bottom. | getting fixed on tuesday.

Runs a lot better after resetting the computer (unplug battery for a while) | no explanation. time will tell. Apparently.

Seat belt tensioner aint all that good no more. | tuesday.

Center console arm rest rattles cause a piece inside broke. | acura "not covered." blah, whatever.

So yeah, there ya go. my day at the dealer. hopefully after the new rear mount and tranny flush, ill be all good. Hopefully.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice...i have the funny gurgle sound as well, and they told me it was 'normal' to

I have some similiar symptons to you with the power loss...i guess i'll have the motor mounts checked...btw, how many miles do you have?
Old 08-11-2003, 11:00 PM
l33t

Old 08-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i have the gurgle and the wont arm problem to once and awhile
stick the key in the dor and lock it that way, then pull it out and hit the lock button, and it will lock and beep. it works for me.
its cool that they found the problems and are fixing it
Old 08-11-2003, 11:26 PM
l33t

well i know that works and all but i would rather find a solution to the problem, than using the key...
Old 08-12-2003, 09:55 AM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
ugh... I'm going to have to have a day like that shortly. I'm getting ready to put my beloved TL on the market at my dealership, so I can look into purchasing an 02-03 TLS, or possibly an 04... and I've got this big old list printed up of things that I have to have done to my car, which is turning out to be quite expensive. I'm not happy......
Old 08-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Trim next to window controls on both left doors separating from doors. | acura told me to go f*ck myself on that one. it should be covered damnit, im actually pissed about that."

My dealer fixed this for me under original 50K warranty.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:25 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I fried two motor mount as well post tranny being replaced. I think it was a combo of them undoing them for the tranny fix plus the newfound transference of power with the new tranny...I could tell right off when they went, though...You aren't imbibing and driving, right Senor Darkshear?
Old 08-12-2003, 01:47 PM
l33t

ROFL no, cant say i am

The tranny hasent been replaced yet, thats still up in the air. i legitimately killed 2 motor mounts. damn im proud!
Old 08-12-2003, 03:25 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just reading in the Helm manual last night that the motor mounts actually have some sort of actuator/servo thingy connected to them that goes to the computer! Wow! Active mounts.

I plan on doing a lot of the work on my car after the warranty is up and this also came up in the book. When you check the ignition timing and it isn't spot on you don't adjust the timing BUT you replace one of the computers! Gotta price one of those Honda PGM devices.