Mold/Meldew Smell from A/C = Plugged Evaporator Drain??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 02:38 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Mold/Meldew Smell from A/C = Plugged Evaporator Drain??

I know A LOT of people have the problem of having a foul/mold/meldew smell comming from the vents when the AC is on. Like most ppl I tried spraying Lysol in the intake vents outside of the car. But it doesn't seem to be very effective. I also don't want to pay the dealer $100 to do a A/C system clean.

What I heard from mechnics is that the "Evaportor Drain" is plugged. That's the drain where it's suppose to get rid of the moisture/condensation/water that the AC system makes. They said that you can just blast compressed air though the drain that it will clear up most of the water and mold that is growing. I was wondering if Honda/Acura have such drains and it they do, anyone with a HELMS manual say where it is.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basically, every car with AC has an evaporator drain. I don't know EXACTLY where it is, but it comes from the evap box that's under the dash in front of the glove box. It drains under the passenger side of the car, just behind the right front wheel. If you see a puddle, and water dripping, under your car when the AC is running, then it isn't clogged shut.

However, mold and mildew can grow directly in the evaporator area, due to its constantly moist environment. This takes a good cleaning, up under the dash, to get rid of. I don't have a manual, so I don't know the exact procedure. But, I'm about to figure it out in the next couple of weeks.

Todd