Looking at TL-S - Advice Appreciated

Old 06-20-2001, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Looking at TL-S - Advice Appreciated

Here's the deal - I currently drive a '97 Land Rover Defender 90 - I love it, but it is a horrible daily driver, it has no acceleration and eats gas. I'm looking at a four-door sport sedan, and I'm convinced after a ton of shopping that the TL-S is the one for me. So, a few questions:

I've been given a quote $500 below MSRP. That's crap, how low should I go?

Nav system or no? I don't need directions very often - is it actually useful for other things, or just a $2000 map?

I have Phoenix Gold Amps and some very nice JL 10" subs in my D-90. The sound in the Acura is very nice, but is it possible to sub out the 9" woofer for a 10? The amps?

How well do the Xenon HID's work?

How is the TL-S thus far reliablilty-wise?

How hard is install of the rear decklid spoiler? I refuse to pay the $1000 the dealership wants for a spoiler.

Thanks for any help in advance...

--Matt

------------------
Matt McDougall
President - Longhorn Offroad
Intern - GSD&M
Land Rover Account Service
Old 06-21-2001, 02:24 AM
Intermediate

To the top -

Would really like to hear people's thoughts...

------------------
Matt McDougall
President - Longhorn Offroad
Intern - GSD&M
Land Rover Account Service
Old 06-21-2001, 03:39 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, I will say what I know

The navi is a really good toy!!! If you go somewhere that you are not familir with. It can come real handy. Is it worth the extra 2 grand. I really depends on you! value = utility/cost...

Now the reliability SUCKS on my 2000 TL. Sorry to say that, but that's the truth. I have so many problems with my car and the dealer"s" are just making it worst. But I think I am one of the rare cases, so you should be fine.

I am sure that you can put your 10' in the TL, not a problem

The HID is da bomb. Never realized how good it is until I had to drive a Sebring rental for 2 weeks. It makes a difference for sure and my next car will have HID for SURE!!!

You can get the spoiler from Snook (aka Tim) the owner of this website or check out www.autocarparts.com

You can go with the Wing West, Fatory OEM, Mugen, or the new spoiler from Streeteffectz (aka Ron). Ron got the M3/M5 style lip spoiler.

Hope this helps. Oh, and get the TL-S no matter what! It's worth the extra $$. Trust me!
Old 06-21-2001, 08:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

Well, it looks like SL1200MK4 answered most of your other questions, so I'll answer the one's that were left out....

From what I've read, the Xenons are awesome. I haven't experienced them yet, but I will once my car arrives

$500 below MSRP is not a bad deal. These cars are hot and are hard to keep in stock. There are dealers around me that are selling it for over sticker b/c they can!! I wouldn't buy from them (and I didn't), but I guess some people are!! It looks like the west coast (California) has the best stock, therefore the best prices. I was able to get mine for around $1000 over invoice, but it took a little shopping around and I only got the deal b/c I bought it from the same dealer I bought my CL. BTW, I opted to not get the Navi. It looks like the cars with the Nav are harder to get, which didn't matter to me b/c I didn't want it, but that seems to be the trend.

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0
Mods: * PIAA Superwhite Headlights ** Rabrig Superwhite corners ** PIAA 1100x Superwhite fogs ** Clear Bumpers (finally) ** tinted windows (20% rear / 35% rest) ** Weapon-R F1 Carbon Intake ** (NOW FOR SALE!!)

Moderator - 1st Gen and Car Talk Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 06-21-2001, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Love the NAV, it will only get better when the new version comes out in OCT.

The HIDs are great, very clear at night.

Forget about the spoiler, it is just excess weight.

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:26 AM
Pro

Talking

Originally posted by TxD90:
Here's the deal - I currently drive a '97 Land Rover Defender 90 - I love it, but it is a horrible daily driver, it has no acceleration and eats gas. I'm looking at a four-door sport sedan, and I'm convinced after a ton of shopping that the TL-S is the one for me. So, a few questions:

I've been given a quote $500 below MSRP. That's crap, how low should I go?

Nav system or no? I don't need directions very often - is it actually useful for other things, or just a $2000 map?

I have Phoenix Gold Amps and some very nice JL 10" subs in my D-90. The sound in the Acura is very nice, but is it possible to sub out the 9" woofer for a 10? The amps?

How well do the Xenon HID's work?

How is the TL-S thus far reliablilty-wise?

How hard is install of the rear decklid spoiler? I refuse to pay the $1000 the dealership wants for a spoiler.

Thanks for any help in advance...

--Matt
1. You can do much better than $500 below MSRP, I'd say at least $1500 below.

2. Save the 2K (even car & driver said so on C&D TV a few weeks ago) get AAA maps & tour books, PDA's and cell phones now have maps via internet connection, print maps from computer, etc.., unless you love techno gadgets in your car, then get it.

3. Don't know much about stereo stuff, stock system is good enough for me, but not for most of the other people on this board.

4. THe Xenon lights are f'n amazing. No other car I've ever driven has lit dark roads the way the the Acura does.

5. My car is too new, but from Acura's and Honda's reputation I think the reliability is great. I've had 2 Accords in my family (94 & 89), both have been extremely reliable. The 89 got stolen, the 94 is running strong.

6. Rear spoiler - You can talk the dealer down to $500. Otherwise you can get spoiler and kit from this board for cheap & install yourself. Personally, I'd be uncomfortable drilling holes in a new $30K car to install the wing though.

good luck

------------------
- Nick
2002 Type S (Satin Silver)
1990 Eagle Talon tsi awd (barely stock)
Old 06-21-2001, 08:48 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Arrow

"Those that do not have the NAVI should not judge the NAVI!"

The NAVI is awesome...

:-jon

------------------
-------------------------------------------
2002 TL-S NAV Black/Black
w/Spoiler, Body Kit, Bowling Ball Wheel,
Bowling Ball Interior Trim Kit
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
StreetEffectz Audio Upgrade (Coming 6/26)
Pictures at:
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

</A>
Old 06-21-2001, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by oblio98:

The NAVI is awesome...
I second that, would never ever get a car without a navi system in it! If you live in a place like Los Angles which is a maze of roads it is extremely easy to make a mistake that will cost you hours in stuck traffic etc. The navi is a life saver here!!
Old 06-21-2001, 09:49 AM
Ex TL-S owner

I think that the NAVI and the HID's are the best things in my TLS. The NAVI makes the car look much more expensive and it's very useful! Get it!

I got my car for $1,300 off MSRP, which is a good deal, but not a great deal.

If you want to change the stock sub with an after market one, I don't think it's possible. The BOSE sub doesn't have a huge magnet like other speakers or subs. It would have to be a custom job to put in a 10" sub. I just added an Alpine V12 amp and a 10" sub in a box in the trunk.

If you want to install a factory spoiler, it shouldn't be that hard. You will need at least 2-3 people. The drilling is the hardest part. It will be painful! There are little pilot circles in the trunk for you to drill the four holes. If you are going to use an after makret it will be harder to match the holes.
------------------
2002 TL TYPE S
SATIN SILVER/EBONY w/NAVI

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1212504&a=8950241&p=50260985&Sequence=0&res =high
[/img]

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by CarFreak on June 21, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by CarFreak on June 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-22-2001, 02:59 PM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I got $1500 off MSP here in Atlanta. I have found the Navi great here...especially sinced I am new to the area!
Old 06-22-2001, 03:59 PM
Racer

Ok, here is my .02

The car will be a great daily driver..IMO

The HID's are great, lights up the road extremly well....

The spoiler I bought from this site for 129.00 bucks 154 if you include shipping. Took it down to my body shop. They charged 200 dollars for painting and installation.
Grand Total of 354 for the same spoiler the dealer has.

Paid 31,200 for a TL-S with nav. including dest.Had the dealer throw in the mud flaps, wheel locks, and the trunk tray. So you could do better....IMHO

I have had a few minor problems like uneven tailpipes, but my dealer gave me a rental and said my happiness was his number one priority.....

I must say there attitude was much different then my chevy dealer....

Good luck and you won't go wrong with a TL-S

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S Aegean Blue with Factory Spoiler and Ebony Wood Kit.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:01 PM
Racer

BTW- get the nav, you will use it more than you think!....

Plus, all of your friends will think its cool.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
31,500 is about average fair price with Nav.
You should also be able to get the spoiler for $750 installed after tax.
Old 06-22-2001, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Price is definitely market dependent. And as far as a daily driver, great car. Delivers good gas mileage, sporty when you want and comfortable cruiser when you need.
Don't have the Nav and regret it every once and a great while.
Old 06-23-2001, 01:20 AM
Banned

Not sure what the market is like in Austin, but you can do a lot better than $500 below MSRP here in Houston. I bought my TLS when they first came out and got about $2000 under MSRP (including discounted options - about $700 off base MSRP).

How many dealers are there in Austin? If there are only 1 or 2, it might be harder to deal. Try expanding your search to San Antonio, San Marcus, where ever. Or, come to Houston - there are 4 dealers here to play against each other.

And $1000 for the spoiler? That's the biggest mark up I've seen yet. My dealer wanted $699, but they came down to $500 pretty quick. Or just get it from here like other people said.
Old 06-23-2001, 08:04 AM
Instructor

$1000 to insall a rear deck spoiler? I paid the dealer $500 and it was done in 45 min on a Saturday and it really brings out lines in the car. Also the Nav is great during rush hour traffic like hear in the DC area. I never realized that there were some many different routes and side streets I could take to avoid traffic jams. I have save me minutes or maybe hours in traffic jams. I am glad the dealer threw it in for free.

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 12:20 PM

Exclamation

I just got mine yesturday '02 Type-S no navi for $30,500.

I tried $29,500 for two weeks with 7 different dealers. No dice.

I think you have some wiggle room but no much.

I work for GE Plastics Autmotive and my Platform Manager for Honda/Acura is telling me that in some areas of the country inventory is below 7 days...which indicates very little deals.

Good luck, you'll love the car.

------------------
Never kiss a gift horse in the mouth