longevity of stock shocks and best aftermarket shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 01:02 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question longevity of stock shocks and best aftermarket shocks?

I got my H&R sport springs yesterday definitely looks much better. And was riding around with the guy from the shop on the test drive. I had some rubbing on the rear tires from the bumper so we shaved off the plastic which was rubbing.

Then I got a surprise the shop guy told me that I may need new shocks. My TL has 42k miles on it with stock shocks and now aftermarket springs. Can I run with the stock springs for a while or do I have to change them out soon? I really do not want to spend the money on the alignment just to do it again when I put the shocks in later.

Also suggestions on types of shocks would be much appreciated. I have seen posts on koni and tokico. And I really have not gotten a solid answer on which is better. I also don't believe this leaking issue with the Tokico shocks b/c that is related to how hard you drive. Also which is better adjustable or non?

Thanks

------------------
1999 3.2TL-NAVI Nighthawk Black Pearl
Comptech drop-in filter / '02 tail lights / Comptech exhaust / Hokuto Turugi 17x7 / Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 225/45/17 / H&R Sport Springs
Old 06-09-2001, 05:40 PM
Pro

I think different ppl will tell you different things. Some people say, you HAVE to get shocks, blah blah blah. from my experience, it depends on how low you go, and really if your camber is way off. I had a prelude and put eibach prokit, which is a very moderate drop, i used it for 2 years after that and was running fine, on OEM shocks. after 2 years, who knows probably wouldn't have gone out.

I heard H&R are a lower drop, if you're camber is off, after alignment, then you may want to consider koni shocks. my friend has used them on his prelude, they came with life time warranty so if it ever wears out they will take care of it.
Old 06-10-2001, 10:37 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

I think the milage is more important than the length of time. I had about 15k miles on my stock shocks when I had my Eibach Prokits installed. After the springs were installed I used the stock shocks for another 15k miles beofre the ride got so mushy and bouncy that I couldn't take it any more. I then got the Koni Yellows and have been VERY happy with them.

------------------
Brian =B-)
2000 Accord LX V6 Sedan White - 3,310 lbs w/ driver - 171HP & 160ft/lbs
- Koni Yellows & Eibach Pro-Kit (1.5" drop)
- Red AEM Short RAM Intake (8-10hp & 5-6 ft/lbs gain on a DynoJet)
- Red AEM Tru Power Pulleys (10hp @ 5,600rpms & 11ft/lbs @ 4,600rpms gain on a DynoJet)
- Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (3HP & 7ft/lbs torque increase in peak power)
- Jet-Hot coated CompTech Headers
- 15.45 @ 88.8mph (Track) [with AEM intake/pulleys] 0-60mph 6.9 sec (G-Tech) [with i/h/p]
Old 06-10-2001, 11:09 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the H&R springs on my car. I put them when I had 30,000 miles on my car, just 6 months ago. Now I have 50,000 miles and the shocks feel like they are wearing out. I just got a CL Type S loaner for the weekend as they are fixing my TL. I have been able to compare and I really need better and newer shocks. BTW Hit 149 MPH on the loaner on the highway yesterday. It was crazy. It was around 1:00 in the morning, there were still many cars on the highway. I can't imagine what the other cars were thinking when I flew by them 80-90 mph faster.

------------------