Knowing What you Know Now...Would You Get a 2nd Gen Again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Knowing What you Know Now...Would You Get a 2nd Gen Again?

I thought I saw this topic posted before but may have missed in my search, apologies in advance if I did.

I have resumed my search (Type S) and missed out on 2 within the last week and got me thinking are they really worth my perseverance to keep up my search even with the known issues? Truthfully for me the hunt has always been the best part.

I think what is also driving me is the stock pile parts I have in basement I collected for another one that got away; underbody kit, blank keys and mat set etc.and hate to see them collect dust but I dont want that to be my only reason for my pursuit. I still love the look of the car esp with the kit and look to you, current owners, for your opinion if the car still puts a smile on your face.

Would you do it again?
Old 08-24-2016, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
despite the shit-tastic transmission, it's still a nice looking car..
Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Im still happy with this car!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Registered Nonmember

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
It's been running great for over 15 years (got a free transmission in '04). Can't really complain. The support from this forum has been awesome in keeping my TL driving smoothly.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
My family owns 6 of them. Besides the transmission its a solid car that I will continue to support and help others learn when they buy one.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks to those that did respond and it matches my sentiments and gut. I have narrowed color choices below:

Aegean Blue (unicorn locally)
Anthracite (sadly all ones found have clear failure)
Silver

Now comes the fun part trying to find one that isnt used and abused but not having much luck. Going to look at ABP today lower miles but its at a sketchy "polish the terd" kinda place so I figured i can always walk away if my gut is correct on this place and why car is there.

One thing I did see in pics is on rear doors around ashtray/window switch the leather is buldged out on same exact spot. Is this a known issue I dont recall seeing anything like this before? Also the hood looks tweaked so again I want to confirm my suspicions or could be pics.

What I have found lately is these things fly out the door if good even with rust on them with prices bottomed out sort of with $5-6k as baseline prices.

Thanks for the confirmation, the hunt continues.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 AM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
I would do it all over again if the miles were low enough and the car was well maintained and in good cosmetic condition. An AV6 swap is a DIY for me, so the transmission would not really be a deal breaker if the car was otherwise in great shape.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My '02 TL has been a dream.

15 years and 185k miles. No trans problems. The only non-routine maintenance has been a motor mount, the A/C air mix motor, and the light bulb behind the clock.

Never had to add oil between oil changes.

It runs as good today as it did when it was new.

The interior looks brand new to except for a well-worn driver seat.

The trans has been a worry since I became aware of the issues shortly after I bought it. But so far (knock wood) it has been bulletproof for me.

My only gripe is that I'd like better lower-back support in the driver seat. And the factory sound system (Bose) is dated, with no Bluetooth capability although I did install an iPod adapter a while back so at least I can play music easily.

So that has been my experience -- YMMV.

-Tom in So Cal
Old 08-25-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 5,296 Likes on 3,630 Posts
I had no complaints with mine aside from trans related quirks.
Made more sense to keep our Civic when we needed an SUV.

Had I known then, what I know now, since we bought the TL with a blown trans, I'd have pushed for a 6MT swap.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Yes.
15 years and 220K is still a wonderful car and I love to drive it every time..
After the AV6 it has been like getting a brand new car, More pep and decidedly more trust worthy for heavy long trips.

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-25-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Pop's Wheels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, absolutely! I just got mine in May, and I've been loving it. It's my first car, and it's better than anything else out there in the price range. Comfortable, smooth, powerful, and not at all bad looking.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone for the replies I will continue my search but it seems when I stop is when they show up I just won't rush into something just cuz I have parts to use they're just at that age now that most are sent to wholesalers or auctions and end up on those sketchy lots so it's true I'm kinda looking for needle in haystack now. The one I missed locally I'm really bummed about higher mileage than I wanted but 1 owner and tons of records. Also seems I need to limit search to satin silver as the ABP and anthracite all have paint issues I have seen.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Pop's Wheels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Thanks everyone for the replies I will continue my search but it seems when I stop is when they show up I just won't rush into something just cuz I have parts to use they're just at that age now that most are sent to wholesalers or auctions and end up on those sketchy lots so it's true I'm kinda looking for needle in haystack now. The one I missed locally I'm really bummed about higher mileage than I wanted but 1 owner and tons of records. Also seems I need to limit search to satin silver as the ABP and anthracite all have paint issues I have seen.
Yeah, I feel your pain. I was lucky enough to buy one from a family member. It seems like all the others are at sketchy dealers or private parties selling way too high.

Also, in my experience, satin silver metallic holds up really well. Up close my car has plenty of scratches (like you'd expect for a 13 year old car) but from a distance the silver hides them fantastically.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2016, 07:33 PM
1999 Acura TL 3.2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. I really like my 99 TL. I have 270K on the car and I do all the work myself. This is the easiest most straightforward car I have ever had. The only downer engineering-wise was the steering pressure line from the pump. It costs around $200 and it can't properly be changed without lowering the sub frame. The flexible part of the line (you know, the part of the line that would develop a leak) is about 28 inches long, but does not terminate at a fitting that can be replaced. Instead it has a permanent tee with a pressure switch, then a 5/16 tubing goes behind and under the frame across the car and has 270 degrees of turn, that's right 1/4 turn more and it would be a complete loop, before its connection to the steering box. I cut the tubing just past the pressure switch port and moved the pressure switch to right above the steering box, then installed two 90 degree 5/16flare-less steel elbows and connected it to the port on the steering box. The flexible line now runs straight across right under the stiffener bracket for the shock towers. Let me know and I can explain exactly how I did it, and I think it should have been done originally this way. Use steel tubing and steel flare-less fittings - the working pressure is 1200 PSI - no copper or brass.
Other than that, I have had no problems with the car that aren't easy to fix and it is really fun to drive.
The 99 model should have its own generation, maybe Gen 2.1. There are so many things different from any Acura - 4-speed instead of 5, completely different induction system, different heads, different radiator fan control system, etc.

Last edited by patgard; 08-28-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'00 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL

I got my TL about three months ago. It is in pretty pristine condition for its age. Transmission problems did scare me at first as I didn't know about them until after I bought it. So far I love it. It's smooth, quick, executive-feeling, and the trans is fine. Certainly a step up from my old 3G Eclipse. I'm also looking for possible mods but I don't think there are many. If I had to get another one, I would but I would search for a Type-S version.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I most definitely would!

I've had my 99 TL for about 4 years, it's currently on its third transmission and second motor, but other than replacing related drivetrain components like front axles with the engine/tranny, I have had no issues.
I've done a few mild custom touches too, so I'm sitting at roughly $6k all in, but consider that - what else can you buy for that cheap that is:

a) as nice and good looking as a TL

and

b) as powerful and reliable

There's not much out there, so all in all, ya, I would buy another 2g in a heartbeat!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:26 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I have an anthracite 2003 TL Type-S that I bought brand new at the dealership, and I would definitely re-buy my car... The tranny has gone out once...and I am hopeful that I won't have to replace it again... Everything else is pretty darn solid...

I have to admit that I was a little underwhelmed by the car when I first bought it... I did three things to the car that made me go from like to LOVE...

1. Lowered the car... Cleaned up all that fender gap...
2. Tinted the car all around (20% in the backs, and 35% in the fronts)
3. Put the OEM underbody kit on the car

I recently replaced my headlight housings with blacked out housings, and that has only made my passion for the car even deeper...

Old 08-31-2016, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeekiM
I have an anthracite 2003 TL Type-S that I bought brand new at the dealership, and I would definitely re-buy my car... The tranny has gone out once...and I am hopeful that I won't have to replace it again... Everything else is pretty darn solid...

I have to admit that I was a little underwhelmed by the car when I first bought it... I did three things to the car that made me go from like to LOVE...

1. Lowered the car... Cleaned up all that fender gap...
2. Tinted the car all around (20% in the backs, and 35% in the fronts)
3. Put the OEM underbody kit on the car

I recently replaced my headlight housings with blacked out housings, and that has only made my passion for the car even deeper...
this is the color I prefer but everyone I have seen has has clear failure how has yours held up? I have an underbody kit waiting and spoiler just can't find the right car.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:05 AM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
this is the color I prefer but everyone I have seen has has clear failure how has yours held up? I have an underbody kit waiting and spoiler just can't find the right car.
Besides the 1 transmission replacement five years ago, I have had zero issues with my car... Here are some relatively recent photos of my car... The last two are with my new headlight housings with the blacked out interior, and the cleared out side reflectors...

Last edited by MikeekiM; 09-01-2016 at 01:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
08KBP_VA (09-04-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 02:01 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely would! This was my first car and only car. This car was passed down from my brother and we've had it probably around roughly 9-10 years now and has 106k miles. Great shape, no engine problems and runs smoothly. Just happen to need some small touch ups here and there. Not to mention the way its structured and layed out, it's awesome for a 2001 car!
Old 09-05-2016, 05:52 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes definitely...I'm a TL convert know...

3 months ago I purchased a 03 Acura TL for $2200 (218k on odo). Car is in great shape except for finish, clearcoat issues. Interior is perfect and everything works. Great car and I'm extremely happy and can't believe how well it drives. 3.2l (J32A2) VTEC performance is awesome above 5000rpm. Even with high miles engine is responsive and strong

Second tranny in TL (got service records)-will be doing 3x3 very soon
Removed intake resonator
K&N airfilter
LED interior lights
Installed new front rotors and pads

Im a new member and I want to say this forum is great. I have been reading thru and have found so much good information. Im really glad to find other people interrested and enthusiastic about TL. Thanks guys!

03 TL with 220k...Runs great!

Perfect interior and everything works!

Old 09-07-2016, 11:54 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
245k on the body
34k on the 3.5 motor
I think I'd do it all over again... having gone thru 2 front lips, 3 sets of fog lights, 3 sets of headlights, 3 steering wheels, 2 OEM radios, 3 transmissions (go to a reputable shop, my neighbors workers did a halfassed job twice)
So much BS with the car and it still makes me happy.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:14 AM

Hairy yours is a 3.5S or just the Regular 3.5 from the MDX?
3.5S being J32A2 Heads and J35A3 Block.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:40 AM
Drifting

3.5S
Just swapped the cams. Didn't mill the heads to get higher compression, I still want the option of going boost in the future
I'm sure this thing would be crazier with the milled heads though. Also currently in the process of having my mechanic making me a real sleeper
Old 09-09-2016, 04:36 AM

Man that got to pull like crazy.... If I ever go that route I will mill the heads, I think that be plenty power for me..
Why you didn´t simply swap the heads? I think the J32A2 heads have a better tuned springs to handle the redline Vs just swapping the Cam with the J35 Springs.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Drifting

Haha, it pulls a lot more than a 3.2 for sure. No traction until a bit after 2nd gear. Before it would just chirp and catch traction in first. Motor also has all lightweight pulleys, headers, test pipe, and shitty stock exhaust piping lol. I need to invest in a custom catback to free up some back pressure.

I forgot why I chose swapping the cams over the heads all together, but i know i messaged someone who had also done the swap to get some insight. I also looked into every thread about doing the cams vs the heads to get the pros and cons.

Definitely noticed a sensitivity change in throttle, especially after having not driven my car in 4 months.