AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   JDM AV6 Transmission (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/jdm-av6-transmission-977011/)

jimbodude 02-07-2019 01:16 PM

JDM AV6 Transmission

Thinking about doing the AV6 swap since my transmission started slipping badly a few days ago. The best price/mileage one I can find locally is a JDM AV6 for $900. Does any know if a JDM transmission would work or would I need a US one?

Tried searching the forum but only info was relating to the swap. Thanks in advance.

thoiboi 02-07-2019 01:17 PM

what's the tranny code?

horseshoez 02-07-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by jimbodude (Post 16379147)
Thinking about doing the AV6 swap since my transmission started slipping badly a few days ago. The best price/mileage one I can find locally is a JDM AV6 for $900. Does any know if a JDM transmission would work or would I need a US one?

Tried searching the forum but only info was relating to the swap. Thanks in advance.

I don't think there is any such a thing as a JDM AV6.

whitetiger5 02-07-2019 03:57 PM

Most people end up going through a junk or salvage yard to acquire the transmission.

Car-part.com is a GREAT resource for searching for the right part; that's where I picked mine up from and it was a great experience as I was able to find the exact transmission i needed, close by, with very low mileage or a very reasonable price.

If you do go that route, it's important that you are searching for the right transmission-a V6 non-hybrid accord (one of the options shown below).

Once you find a good candidate, and you contact the salvage yard about details; confirm it's a BAYA style transmission; accept nothing else. By the way...the yard should have the VIN for the transmission, and you can confirm online that it matches the model accord (year, engine type/size and number of doors); that brought me more confidence with moving forward.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e3e439464f.png

Additionally, I suggest the following resources:
  1. There's a thread here in the forum with A LOT of pics, browse through that slowly (to allow full images to load) and get a good feel for the work involved (it's not a lot in hindsight, as long as you have time, patience and the right tools)
  2. Havener Garage: The Definitive 2nd Gen Acura TL AV6 Transmission Swap Guide good blog type post with information that echoes the thread mentioned above-this one goes into more detail about acquiring the right parts needed for the swap.
  3. There's a youtube video (a guy by the name of online police or something like that) showing the work needed to get the old transmission out; I followed that it helped tremendously.
Best of luck!

jimbodude 02-07-2019 04:00 PM

yeah I went to car-parts.com and it lead me to a jdm importer that has those transmissions. The ones from the junk yard were high mileage and expensive.

horseshoez 02-07-2019 04:05 PM

Okay, I'm going to say it again, I do not believe there is such a thing as a JDM AV6; yes there were 5-Speed JDM transmissions for V6 models, but they are NOT the well regarded AV6/BAYA transmission as this tranny was only produced in the United States. As I understand it, the was a Japanese built MAYA transmission, but there are no guarantees as to how reliable they will be compared to the BAYA.

whitetiger5 02-07-2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by jimbodude (Post 16379286)
yeah I went to car-parts.com and it lead me to a jdm importer that has those transmissions. The ones from the junk yard were high mileage and expensive.

All I can say is: good things come to those who wait! I checked in on car-part and ended up with an 07 transmission with 30K miles on the odometer. I spent $1k so it IS a possibility. btw, not saying I got the best deal, others have done even better!

I also came across a Japanese importer (in san diego) as well, but because the trans didn't literally say "BAYA" on the front, I passed as there weren't enough other users with experience to back that other transmission up.

horseshoez 02-07-2019 06:19 PM

Congratulations.

whitetiger5 02-07-2019 06:37 PM

Thanks! So...you gonna keep looking/waiting for one to come along?

I’m optimistic you’ll find what you’re looking for; most do.

DJMikeT 02-11-2019 08:18 PM

I'm glad I came across this thread because I'm going to pick up a 2006 AV6 Transmission tomorrow and I was wondering what code the transmission should have on it Thanks for the information, I know I'm looking for a BAYA now.

I found one for $600 on Car-Parts with 89k miles on it hopefully it will get me by for some years to come.

DJMikeT 02-12-2019 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by whitetiger5 (Post 16379284)

Once you find a good candidate, and you contact the salvage yard about details; confirm it's a BAYA style transmission; accept nothing else. By the way...the yard should have the VIN for the transmission, and you can confirm online that it matches the model accord (year, engine type/size and number of doors); that brought me more confidence with moving forward.

Just cancelled an appointment to pickup a transmission because the junk yard had removed the VIN tag from the transmission and I couldn't verify what it came off (could have been anything from a 2003-2007). Looked around and found another one in Alabama. Really nice guy helping now and sent me all the information I requested, the first guy sounded pretty shady so BEWARE out there looking for a tranny.

Abraham Shield 02-12-2019 09:11 PM

I just took delivery of my BAYA 2006 transmission which I found at the LKQ in Denver for $850 delivered. It had 91K on it and looks very clean other than dust buildup. Already have a BAYA AV6 reman torque converter, OE axle shaft seals, torque converter seal (front trans input), and rear crankshaft seal. I found my trans on Car-Part.com and called LKQ direct. Looking forward to doing the swap, but I had to cancel the first shipment as they sent me a 2008 from a 3.5V6. NOT the same, so be aware!

ProfessorFunk 02-12-2019 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by DJMikeT (Post 16381377)
...so BEWARE out there looking for a tranny.

This.

whitetiger5 02-12-2019 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorFunk (Post 16381631)
This.

I see what you did there.

:pofl:

DJMikeT 02-13-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorFunk (Post 16381631)
This.

Just to clarify I meant a Transmission not what you are thinking of lol, funny though and didn't think about it when I posted it.

onekam 02-13-2019 11:39 PM

IMO, don't buy anything from a "JDM Transmission" parts seller. they are usually junk, and will more than likely send you the wrong one. they're cheap for a reason. you can also research online and find that other people have had issues with "JDM" sellers.

from personal experience, I ended up returning mine because it came all banged up and it was filled with black tranny fluid... I did NOT want to use that. fortunately I found a savaged accord on ebay with an undamaged powertrain and the seller was a salvage company.

if you insist, make sure that you communicate with them and make 100% sure that it is a BAYA/MAYA transmission. otherwise they will send you one that think "fits" your car.

DJMikeT 02-14-2019 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by onekam (Post 16382428)
IMO, don't buy anything from a "JDM Transmission" parts seller. they are usually junk, and will more than likely send you the wrong one. they're cheap for a reason. you can also research online and find that other people have had issues with "JDM" sellers.

from personal experience, I ended up returning mine because it came all banged up and it was filled with black tranny fluid... I did NOT want to use that. fortunately I found a savaged accord on ebay with an undamaged powertrain and the seller was a salvage company.

if you insist, make sure that you communicate with them and make 100% sure that it is a BAYA/MAYA transmission. otherwise they will send you one that think "fits" your car.

I agree with you, I bought a JDM Engine / Transmission combo a few years ago when my TL had 163K and the engine was burning oil like crazy (bought from a friend and pretty sure he drove the crap out of it).
The Engine looked great, had good compression, and is still running strong but the Transmission was bad and the JDM sent me another Transmission that had really black fluid and it did work but it was never 100%.
I got about 37K out of that Transmission and now I'm putting in an 2007 AV6 and hope this makes the car last about 5 more years. So yeah I'd stay away from JDM if I had to do all over again.