AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Issues with oil not reaching first circle marker (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/issues-oil-not-reaching-first-circle-marker-979947/)

crimebeck890 06-01-2019 08:45 PM

Issues with oil not reaching first circle marker

Hello,

I like to check my fluid levels a few times a week to see how the car is functioning. I was told there was a oil gasket leak when I first got the car. I noticed its levels would range throughout the week from reaching the 2nd circle, to not reaching it at all. I got the oil gasket fixed about a month ago and all seemed well - the new oil shows a transparent, light golden color, but now I just checked it and it is not reaching the minimum level again. How could this occur less than a month after the oil gasket leak getting fixed? The color and transparency (due to its recent change) is still the same, and I like to listen to how the car drives with no music playing and I have not heard any unusual sounds come from the engine. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a chance the shop did a bad job fixing the leak? What else should I be out on the look for?

Thank you for reading.

horseshoez 06-01-2019 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by crimebeck890 (Post 16433746)
Hello,

I like to check my fluid levels a few times a week to see how the car is functioning. I was told there was a oil gasket leak when I first got the car. I noticed its levels would range throughout the week from reaching the 2nd circle, to not reaching it at all. I got the oil gasket fixed about a month ago and all seemed well - the new oil shows a transparent, light golden color, but now I just checked it and it is not reaching the minimum level again. How could this occur less than a month after the oil gasket leak getting fixed? The color and transparency (due to its recent change) is still the same, and I like to listen to how the car drives with no music playing and I have not heard any unusual sounds come from the engine. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a chance the shop did a bad job fixing the leak? What else should I be out on the look for?

Thank you for reading.

I don't understand what you're trying to tell us. Can you rephrase your symptoms?

crimebeck890 06-01-2019 09:06 PM

I had an issue with low oil due due to a oil gasket leak - it was not reaching the minimum marker indicated on the dipstick. The dipstick has two circles. It was not reaching the first circle marker. After the leak was fixed, my oil was reaching a little past the 2nd circle marker, proving enough oil was in the engine. The levels were good as of this past Tuesday. Now, only 5 days later, I just checked my oil again and it is below the minimum marker on the dipstick. I am just trying to figure out how this could re-occur so quickly. I am going to auto zone tomorrow to get the correct oil needed and add some to the engine, but I am just curious if this has happened to anyone else, and if there are possibly other issues besides the oil gasket leak coming back.

zeta 06-01-2019 09:22 PM

^
Could some of the oil be accumulating at the lower levels of your intake manifold? Maybe you should just get that quart of oil tomorrow, top it off, drive it for a week and recheck?

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...nifold-99-scat

crimebeck890 06-01-2019 09:59 PM

Thanks Zeta. That is what I will do and will update soon.

crimebeck890 06-04-2019 08:36 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...2c7d4a829a.jpg

The engine is fine - I checked the levels after I drove for a few minutes and they easily reached the 2nd circle marker - my mistake was checking the levels when the engine was cold. I uploaded this picture to see if anyone else has used this oil for their '99 TL. I know 5W-30 is the correct oil noted in the owners manual, and I like to use synthetic due to quality, previous usage and longevity. Which is the best synth oil available for an older car?

horseshoez 06-04-2019 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by crimebeck890 (Post 16434795)
I uploaded this picture to see if anyone else has used this oil for their '99 TL. I know 5W-30 is the correct oil noted in the owners manual, and I like to use synthetic due to quality, previous usage and longevity. Which is the best synth oil available for an older car?

There is no such a thing as "the best synthetic oil" (regardless of whether the car is new or old). The thing is, oil is like religion, use whichever brand you worship and change it on time, it will make exactly zero difference in the life of the engine.

The above said, in my 2001 V6 Accord (the assembly line sibling of your 2G TL), I found Mobil 1 0W-20 was being consumed at a fairly rapid rate (a quart every 3,000 miles); after I switched to Castrol Edge 0W-20 the car would only use about a half quart per 7,500 mile oil change.

whitetiger5 06-04-2019 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16434814)
There is no such a thing as "the best synthetic oil" (regardless of whether the car is new or old). The thing is, oil is like religion, use whichever brand you worship and change it on time, it will make exactly zero difference in the life of the engine.

The above said, in my 2001 V6 Accord (the assembly line sibling of your 2G TL), I found Mobil 1 0W-20 was being consumed at a fairly rapid rate (a quart every 3,000 miles); after I switched to Castrol Edge 0W-20 the car would only use about a half quart per 7,500 mile oil change.

Lol...."Oil brand is like religion and whatever brand you choose will not matter; unless you are using Castrol Edge 0W-20, that will work." :rofl: