iPod/MP3-player support in 2003 TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:14 PM
TLingggggggg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
thanks for the info i guess its not really worth the upgrade since I dont have a navi. What im curious about is the website says this will let you change tracks with the wheel controls that would be the big seller for me but im a little skeptical about that.
Yes it does, the USASPEC and I believe the PIE also can control the IPOD straight from the steering wheel and also on the unit itself and their is also an option by flicking the switch on the box to either control the playlist from your head unit or you can control it from your ipod direct. I would highly recommend the USASPEC and you can read some reviews on Crutchfield and if you have any questions or doubt you can give the dude at Enfig a call. They are very friendly
Old 02-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by AcuraBuddy
Yes it does, the USASPEC and I believe the PIE also can control the IPOD straight from the steering wheel and also on the unit itself and their is also an option by flicking the switch on the box to either control the playlist from your head unit or you can control it from your ipod direct. I would highly recommend the USASPEC and you can read some reviews on Crutchfield and if you have any questions or doubt you can give the dude at Enfig a call. They are very friendly
Well thanks for help im diffenently going to have to look into this because thats the sellling point for me. The tape thing I have is alright I like it better then the FM things that you always get interference with. Its just you get SOO used to those controls its insane whenever I get in other peoples cans I just go to change the radio and normally it doesnt work. Thats the one thing i hated about the stupid tape thing so now im going to be upgrading soon once again thank you for all your help.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've tried a few FM transmitters in addition to the built in FM transmitter on the actual XM receiver unit. They are faint and don't deliver lound sound. I can get it static free though. The tape unit is much much better, but since it's a moving part, it makes clicking noises and I just don't like the fact that I'm using a tape. Also, the tape deck seems to "wind" up w/ the RPM's of the car. Sounds like a mini-supercharger. While funny, it's rather annoying.

I'll be ordering a Blitzsafe tomorrow. The place I found was ~$89. Not nearly the $70 I thought it was going to be from reading other posts. But eh.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:39 AM
TLingggggggg

try ebay or enfigcarstereo before you pay 89 bux for it. I might suggest the USASPEC one if you are going to spend 89 dollars its only like 20 dollars more for all those capabilities. Dont rush to fast into cuz you can get better then a blitzsafe.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:53 AM
10th Gear

Ok I went to the website and researched both of them for my car I seemed to like the Ipod2car better but I noticed it said you can control it using the steering wheel contorls? That would be really nice if its true because I hate that about the cheap tape thing I have now. So I was just wondering if anyone can confirm that it really does work?

I understand that the I-HONDA-R2 is supposed to do the same thing but what is supposed to be they dont say how it works? I just get they both do the same thing so why would I pay more for 1? Anyone know about this either? Any information at all would be very appericated?
I just tried installing my second Dice I-HONDA-R2 unit, and none of them work properly. It would just stop working, make the stereo ask for my code and worst case make the stereo not work at all unit I reset it by taking out the fuse...
I'll have to send both back, I'm thinking of trying a new one. The USASpec one seems interesting. Any good experiences with this unit on a non-navi 2003 TL?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
dang, i was about to order the dice .... i really want to utilize the steering wheel controls and not have to touch the ipod to change songs or volume.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 AM
TLingggggggg

Like I said, so far I ve had a nice time with the USASPEC, as it was also recommended to me by those guys there at enfig haha maybe cuz it was the most priciest one but heck I'll take their word for it that they use it on their cars and that it is very good unit. I personally use it as of this past weekend and so far I love it. so its a two thumbs up from me
Old 02-14-2007, 01:12 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jpadilla
are you still having issues with the Dice?
I got a second Dice unit and tried to install last weekend. It didn't help..
It stops working all the time, makes the radio-unit ask for the code suddenly and sometimes makes the radio stop working all together. I removed the Dice unit all together and the radio works fine again...
Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Pro

i think i'm gonna ordering the USA SPEC PA11-HOD from Crutchfield
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WFqzF11...1HON&s=0&cc=01
Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 PM
TLingggggggg

You can try ebay for a cheaper price, they have it for around 108 or something and enfigcarstereo has it cheaper by 5 bux and free shipping and tax included.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:57 PM
4th Gear

Anybody know how the USA Spec and Blitz, etc. compare to the HK Drive and Play? I've got one ready to install, but if these others are better/easier, I'm taking it back. How do the steering wheel controls work with the HK, and is the little controller supposed to take that job? Yes, I am a moron when it comes to this stuff.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:44 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jpadilla
i think i'm gonna ordering the USA SPEC PA11-HOD from Crutchfield
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WFqzF11...1HON&s=0&cc=01
ordered from crutchfield since i know there will be no issues returning it if i have a problem with it ...

where did you install the module at? I was thinking under the passenger's seat with the dip switches facing the rear so i can easily reach under to flip them between play list mode and direct access mode.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:33 AM
TLingggggggg

Yup I put mine underneath the passenger side seat because thats probably one of the only places you can hide everything . well you should of checked ebay or enfigcarstereo but thats ok if the peace of mind of being able to return something makes you feel better thats all good.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Race Director

I need some help with mine. I removed the wood trim and then unscrewed the side panel screws and then removed that little peice that snaps in however once there the panel doesnt watn to seem to come out how does it come out i dont want to break it in half? Also im supposed to be on the right side correct?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Race Director

Anyone have any idea what im talking about?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:43 PM
TLingggggggg

Ok all you need to do is open the passenger side panel. You ll need to unscrew the center console and pull it back alittle bit and then you take off the wooden piece and then u unscrew that side passenger panel and pull that out and after that you will have a very small opening to put your to fingers in to pluck in the 14 pin slot . Does that answer your question? Plus you dont need to open the driver side panel at all cuz you wont be getting that one out easily or at all.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by AcuraBuddy
Ok all you need to do is open the passenger side panel. You ll need to unscrew the center console and pull it back alittle bit and then you take off the wooden piece and then u unscrew that side passenger panel and pull that out and after that you will have a very small opening to put your to fingers in to pluck in the 14 pin slot . Does that answer your question? Plus you dont need to open the driver side panel at all cuz you wont be getting that one out easily or at all.
Oh ok thanks see pulling back the center consule after you remove it makes sense because the side panel on the right wouldnt move out and I thought huh but the reason was because the other panel closer to the center consule was blocking it. Once I do this im diffenently making a small DIY for it so other people wont get confused like I did. Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:17 AM
10th Gear

I need some help with mine. I removed the wood trim and then unscrewed the side panel screws and then removed that little peice that snaps in however once there the panel doesnt watn to seem to come out how does it come out i dont want to break it in half? Also im supposed to be on the right side correct?
I followed this guide when I installed (and uninstalled ) my Dice unit:
http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf
Old 02-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Pro

my usaspec come in tommorrow ... now i'll need upgrade my ipod mini .... 30gig video or 8gig nano? I dont care about the video or pictures, i just want the space but heard battery an issue on the 30gig.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:28 PM
TLingggggggg

Oh ok thanks see pulling back the center consule after you remove it makes sense because the side panel on the right wouldnt move out and I thought huh but the reason was because the other panel closer to the center consule was blocking it. Once I do this im diffenently making a small DIY for it so other people wont get confused like I did. Thanks for all your help.

No problem dude anytime. For the guy thats buying the 8gb Nano or the video well I might say the video because it seems like its more worth it even though I have the 8gb Nano
Old 02-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Pro

Installed the USA SPEC .... works perfectly! HU and stearing wheel controlls work, can select up to 5 different playlist using the CD buttons, CD6 is play all! even has an aux input. Glad I chose the USA SPEC! Thanks!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:14 PM
TLingggggggg

dont forget you can flip the switch off and use your ipod to control the playlist instead of the 5 playlists and you can still control from the steering wheel and from the head unit. I flipped it off so I can do that and plus the song switching is faster.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:55 PM
10th Gear

Ok, I've just ordered the USA Spec PA11-HON from enfig for my Acura 2003 3.2TL (non-navigation, facotry stereo). Hopefully this will work better than the Dice unit...
Old 03-06-2007, 01:30 AM
I'M DONE HERE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
will it work if you have navi? if so what parts do I need?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:06 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DUECE_DXJ
will it work if you have navi? if so what parts do I need?
I'm not sure... I would suggest e-mailing enfig and ask
Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 AM
4th Gear

Sorry to revive this thread, but you should be glad I searched

Anyways, I'm pretty much sold on the USA-SPEC, I just need to know for sure if it will work on a 2003 Acura TL Type-S non-navi, with a 6 disk in-dash cd changer....
Old 07-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zapatista77

Anyways, I'm pretty much sold on the USA-SPEC, I just need to know for sure if it will work on a 2003 Acura TL Type-S non-navi, with a 6 disk in-dash cd changer....
Yes as long as you dont have something else using the AUX jack in the back of the radio.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call a retailer and ask them. I'm using the USA-SPEC on a 2000 TL. It was about a 15-20 minute install. I did not pull the entire console apart. Just the kick guard and glove box.

With my fingers I popped the connector into my stereo and feed the cables into the glove box. It's been working very well for the last month, maybe two now.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by rob-2
With my fingers I popped the connector into my stereo and feed the cables into the glove box. It's been working very well for the last month, maybe two now.
Thats an interesting way to do it. How hard is it though to reach over and get it? I have mine through the center console and while I like it there is a lot of cord that sits in there.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thats an interesting way to do it. How hard is it though to reach over and get it? I have mine through the center console and while I like it there is a lot of cord that sits in there.
Well of the 15-20 minutes, most of the time was spent getting it in. At one point I thought I wasn't getting it and then I tried it again. Pop it was in.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by rob-2
Well of the 15-20 minutes, most of the time was spent getting it in. At one point I thought I wasn't getting it and then I tried it again. Pop it was in.
No, what I mean is when your driving and you relieze you want your Ipod is it annoying to have it all the way over in the glove box?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

No, what I mean is when your driving and you relieze you want your Ipod is it annoying to have it all the way over in the glove box?
Never wanted it while driving, I use the stereo to change tracks/playlists.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

Sorry for reviving this thread yet again, 3 years later - but I've searched the whole site and haven't found an answer to this question anywhere. I just called Crutchfield and they told me that the USA-SPEC (and every other integration option) requires a changer input and that the Acura stock HU with the in-dash changer doesn't have that (or any other available) input. And that therefore there was NO option available other than an old-school tape adapter stuck into the cassette player with wires everywhere.

Their comment about there not being any available input is contrary to some of the things I've read here, and I can go ahead and check for myself -- but before I do that, if anyone can confirm/deny that for me, I'd appreciate it. And if someone could further confirm whether the USA-SPEC unit in particular will work with a 2003 TL stock HU with 6-CD changer in-dash, I'd very much appreciate that as well.

Also, if there's some better option as of 2011 that someone can share, I'd like to hear about it.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shza
Sorry for reviving this thread yet again, 3 years later - but I've searched the whole site and haven't found an answer to this question anywhere. I just called Crutchfield and they told me that the USA-SPEC (and every other integration option) requires a changer input and that the Acura stock HU with the in-dash changer doesn't have that (or any other available) input. And that therefore there was NO option available other than an old-school tape adapter stuck into the cassette player with wires everywhere.

Their comment about there not being any available input is contrary to some of the things I've read here, and I can go ahead and check for myself -- but before I do that, if anyone can confirm/deny that for me, I'd appreciate it. And if someone could further confirm whether the USA-SPEC unit in particular will work with a 2003 TL stock HU with 6-CD changer in-dash, I'd very much appreciate that as well.

Also, if there's some better option as of 2011 that someone can share, I'd like to hear about it.
Yeah, I've been doing some researching this afternoon as well... Haven't seen anything constructive posted in the past few years, so I think USA-SPEC is still the best....
From what I understand, some head units have the changer plugin in the back *and* an internal changer, and some don't... seems to be luck of the draw..
can anybody correct me if I'm wrong?