iPod/MP3-player support in 2003 TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:04 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod/MP3-player support in 2003 TL

Hi!

I just bought a 2003 Acura TL (without navigation). What is the best way to make it possible to hook up an MP3-player directly to the sound system. I don't want to use a cassette adapter or FM-transmitter. It seems that the I-HONDA-R3 kit is an option. It has both an iPod connector and regular AUX, which is sweet. Has anyone tried it? Is it hard to install? This is my first car, so I haven't hacked a car sound-systems before.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
That's an interesting adapter. I would also suggest you check out blitz safe adapters. They will run you roughly $75 and they attach directly to the CD changer interface found on the back of the stock head unit. I've had mine for a couple years now and it produces crystal clear sound from my iPod.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:41 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the reply!
I believe the DICE I-HONDA-R3 also connects to the back of the stock head unit.
Does the blitz safe adapter have an iPod dock connector or an AUX input (or both)? How hard is it to install? I guess you have to remove the head unit, how hard is it? I'm a newb at car stuff...
Old 10-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
the blitzsafe aux takes two seconds to pop on to the back of the headunit, once you get back there..

its only an aux input, no ipod dock connector. but i could care less because ipods arent the only mp3 players i use in my car.. since my friends/family likes listening to different things, i can swap with their mp3 players.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:22 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by aaronnn
the blitzsafe aux takes two seconds to pop on to the back of the headunit, once you get back there..

its only an aux input, no ipod dock connector. but i could care less because ipods arent the only mp3 players i use in my car.. since my friends/family likes listening to different things, i can swap with their mp3 players.
So, how hard is it to get to the bade of the head unit ? Do you have to remove the plate around the gear stick and then the "this is not an ashtray" shelf? How hard is it?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:54 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by prismejon
So, how hard is it to get to the bade of the head unit ? Do you have to remove the plate around the gear stick and then the "this is not an ashtray" shelf? How hard is it?
bade = back
Old 10-25-2006, 01:48 AM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys.. I want to upgrade my sound system to iPod via blitz safe. But I am unsure if the blitzsafe is compatible since I have a Navi2DVD thingy... I didnt install the nav2dvd, but I think it is plugged into the aux on the back of the cd changer.

I am guessing that you guys with the blitz safe have to press CD twice (CD1 i think) to play your ipod? I have to press CD twice to turn the sound on for my dvd player.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

It's not hard at all. Granted it's not for the timid but it involves snapping off the right burl wood trim, unscrewing the side panel, and squeezing the adapter up and into the cd changer port. The install took me about an hour and that was because I was being careful.

Removing the trim piece: Use a small flat head screw driver. Cover the tip with something soft so that you don't scratch your trim. Slide the screw driver under the trim piece and push down on the screw driver (this will push the trim piece straight up). There are clips on the trim piece that will pop out. Make sure the metal wedge pieces don't fall off after you take the trim piece off.

The side panel is simple since all of the screws should now be visible.

Adapter install: The cd changer port is on the lower right hand corner of the head unit. Feel behind the unit for the port before attempting to add the adapter. A flash light will help in determining where the port is as well. Getting the adapter in there will be tricky since it's such a tight space... be patient and it should take no time at all.

Good luck on your install... if and when you do decide to buy an adapter.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:47 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by death
It's not hard at all. Granted it's not for the timid but it involves snapping off the right burl wood trim, unscrewing the side panel, and squeezing the adapter up and into the cd changer port. The install took me about an hour and that was because I was being careful.

Removing the trim piece: Use a small flat head screw driver. Cover the tip with something soft so that you don't scratch your trim. Slide the screw driver under the trim piece and push down on the screw driver (this will push the trim piece straight up). There are clips on the trim piece that will pop out. Make sure the metal wedge pieces don't fall off after you take the trim piece off.

The side panel is simple since all of the screws should now be visible.

Adapter install: The cd changer port is on the lower right hand corner of the head unit. Feel behind the unit for the port before attempting to add the adapter. A flash light will help in determining where the port is as well. Getting the adapter in there will be tricky since it's such a tight space... be patient and it should take no time at all.

Good luck on your install... if and when you do decide to buy an adapter.
That doesn't sound too bad
Where did you place your iPod/AUX cable when you installed it?
Is it possible to pull the cable under the "gear-selector"-panel and cup holders such that it comes out inside of the storage box between the two front seats? Or would this involve drilling holes and such?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:15 PM
10th Gear

My Ipod + 12V powered transmitter +ipod charger sounds as good as CD.

I was very disappointed at first becasue it sounded very static but once I found the right station (in my case it was 104.5) it sounded kristal klear(with/k)

so,, yeah I'm very happy with the result at the moment.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

That doesn't sound too bad
Where did you place your iPod/AUX cable when you installed it?
Is it possible to pull the cable under the "gear-selector"-panel and cup holders such that it comes out inside of the storage box between the two front seats? Or would this involve drilling holes and such?
I debated on several options while I had the trim piece off. I didn't want to drill any holes so I ran it under the side panel and snaked it back up into the armrest. Depending on what Aux extender you buy (you will need one of these) it should fit in between the armrest and the actual center console. Don't worry the cable will not cause problems when closing the console. You can pickup an adapter for the stereo-minijack-to-stereo-RCA Aux input at an Apple store or at a radio shack.

One last thing, test EVERYTHING before putting everything back together.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:59 PM
10th Gear

I ordered the I-HONDA-R3 on Friday (from icarkits.com), so by next week I will hopefully be able to listen to my iPod in my car
Old 11-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I ordered the I-HONDA-R3 on Friday (from icarkits.com), so by next week I will hopefully be able to listen to my iPod in my car
hab you installed yours yet?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:07 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Any word if the new Dice interfaces work? Looks like the i-HONDA-R2 is the correct unit for the 2nd gen TL/CL.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:22 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by gaping46and2
Any word if the new Dice interfaces work? Looks like the i-HONDA-R2 is the correct unit for the 2nd gen TL/CL.
Nope it doesn't... I removed the whole center console to find out that the plug is too big for my stereo
I selected 2003 Acura TL non-navi and the website said I needed the R3 kit, but apparently it is wrong. I called them and it turns out I need the R2. They gave me a $10 credit to ship it back. It sent it on Saturday, so hopefully I'll get the correct one by the end of this week.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Cruisin'

Can someone explain to me why this setup...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-2003-ACURA-...em150057021646

wouldn't work with navigation or DVD as it states in the auction?

to me this is the best option, direct hook up of ipod, charges it, OEM radio controls, extra aux input (in case you do use the dvd converter, bring your sound in via here)

Is there something I am issing or will this work as good as I think it will?

THANKS
Old 11-18-2006, 12:51 PM
10th Gear

Ok, I have installed the DICE unit now. When it works it is great, however for some reason it stops working once in a while. The radio displays "EEE" and I can't switch to CD 1 (external cd source) - nothing happens when I press the CD button. Usually it just starts working again after a while, for example the next time I use the car. I love to use my iPod in the car, but it's really annoying when it suddenly stops working...
Old 01-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Ok, I have installed the DICE unit now. When it works it is great, however for some reason it stops working once in a while. The radio displays "EEE" and I can't switch to CD 1 (external cd source) - nothing happens when I press the CD button. Usually it just starts working again after a while, for example the next time I use the car. I love to use my iPod in the car, but it's really annoying when it suddenly stops working...
are you still having issues with the Dice?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:35 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jpadilla
are you still having issues with the Dice?
Yup, but they sent me a new unit so I'll try to see if it helps to change it. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
3rd Gear

Has anyone heard anything about the Harmon-Kardon 'Drive and Play' for the iPod. It comes with a little iPod navigation thing and a small lcd that can be mounted wherever. Just wondering if there were any thoughts.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Based on the wiring diagram shown on their website it could work with a Blitz Safe adapter (assuming you didn't want to use the FM connectivity option). In the diagram this option is mentioned when connecting to a CD Changer port.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:42 PM
they go wooooot wooooot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there any control over the ipod using the steering wheel controls or any of the HU controls?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:05 AM
3rd Gear

Nope, it is separate hardware that plays through the stock headunit.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 AM
they go wooooot wooooot

volume?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Someone answer a very stupid question for me please! I have an 02 TL, and do not have navi. What model number blitzsafe do i need???? I keep seeing different model numbers, i see navi, or no navi, 2002, 2003,etc.. So someone please help shine some light on this for me. lol
Old 02-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Advanced

Anybody, anybody,anybody........Buller, anybody, Buller????? Seriously, someone know the model number for a blitzsafe for an 02TL without navi.?????? Thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Ok,obviously I'm just gunna have to keep this thread bumping until someone helps a brotha out! lol
Old 02-02-2007, 11:13 AM
TLingggggggg

I believe its this one "Blitzsafe HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1" and well next time just type in the search box "Blitzsafe" and wham bam you got your answer mam.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:04 AM
3rd Gear

Well...now which one?

So, I have been reading up some more about the interfaces about these products. The Harmon-Kardon is nice with the external LCD screen to see while you are driving, but it seems that you would lose the steering wheel controls. However, according to reviews that I have read on this forum have stated that they lose a lot of volume. I have come across another iPod interface that again plugs directly into the cd changer port in the back of the head unit, and it is plug and play. At this site they also sell the blitzsafe if that is what you have your heart set on, but they claim that this will keep the clarity and volume as it should. So, I hope that this helps.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=5517
Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So I just got off the phone with a "Blitzsafe dealer" who was completely uneducated.

He's telling me the Blitzsafe adapters are so unreliable, that he's installed hundreds of them and hundreds have been returned. He also told me that the adapter isn't compatible w/ 2003-2005. I told him that makes no sense to include 2003 w/ a 2004-05 model year. It's not even the same car!? I said, well, how do I friggin get an adapter. "Go to a dealer" Wait, aren't you a dealer? "I only order them if I absoletly have to." Isn't this a good enough reason? A customer is asking for one... Long story short, I told him I'm not begging him to take my money, and I'll find it elsewhere.

Where are you guys getting yours? I don't need it locally, shipping is fine.

2003 TL w/ cd changer Non-Navi

And what is the difference between the two?

HON/AUX DMX V.1 14-Pin connector behind radio
HON/ALP DMX V.1D 14-Pin connector behind radio - Also Alpine M-Bus CD Changer
Old 02-12-2007, 03:43 PM
TLingggggggg

Go to www.enfigcarstereo.com and if you want you can call them up,they are very friendly and helpful. I bought the USA Spec one because the Blitzsafes were on major back order and Im very happy with it. If you want more info on it you can go onto my thread and read about it an d if you need anymore help please feel free to ask.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ah, thank you.
It's a little pricey, but if I can actually get it, and it works, it'll be worth the money.

What's the difference between V.1 and V.1D? I assume just a newer/updated model?

I'm a little confused as to the connectors that are used to connect to a MP3 player/iPod.Out of the box from Blitzsafe, it looks like just a red/whie audio RCA cable. Do you then need to buy an adapter for the iPod, and a analog/headphone MP3 player?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
TLingggggggg

Hmmm what are you working with? You have an IPOD I assume and you want to connect it to the car stereo, a line in instead of an FM transmitter or cassette tape player right? If anything yes it is alittle pricier but to be able to control the ipod from your steering wheel or radio as compared to the blitzsafe one the USASPEC is well worth the money and plus they ship fast at enfig. Also I believe the USASPEC is also in stock instead of the blitzsafe. You can always try ebay which is actually cheaper.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Cruisin'

I have a 2002 tls with the stock bose radio system. I do not like to have wires hanging around so i have a Road Trip unit that connects into your cigarette adaptor. This is wireless that uses any station on the radio band. I love it.. it is clear and crisp. On some songs it is quiet, but overall it is sweet.

another cool thing is that any car in a 20 ft. radius around you can listen to that station too.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Race Director

Ok I went to the website and researched both of them for my car I seemed to like the Ipod2car better but I noticed it said you can control it using the steering wheel contorls? That would be really nice if its true because I hate that about the cheap tape thing I have now. So I was just wondering if anyone can confirm that it really does work?

I understand that the I-HONDA-R2 is supposed to do the same thing but what is supposed to be they dont say how it works? I just get they both do the same thing so why would I pay more for 1? Anyone know about this either? Any information at all would be very appericated?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:11 PM
TLingggggggg

I believe the PIE one and USASpec are pretty much the same except the USASpec is 5 bux more and you can have an extra line out in case you want to connect lets say your Navi or like your other MP3 or CD player.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by AcuraBuddy
I believe the PIE one and USASpec are pretty much the same except the USASpec is 5 bux more and you can have an extra line out in case you want to connect lets say your Navi or like your other MP3 or CD player.
thanks for the info i guess its not really worth the upgrade since I dont have a navi. What im curious about is the website says this will let you change tracks with the wheel controls that would be the big seller for me but im a little skeptical about that.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:46 PM
3.2TL

if it connects to the back of the HU via the CD changer port, you can control the volume with the steering wheel. You gotta press the CD button twice so that itll think its switching to the CD changer, but in reality its the adaptor. it will display CD #99. I have the blitzafe....not with the ipod plug but with the 2 female rca jacks coming out of them. all you gotta do is go to radioshack and get a Stereo RCA to 1/8 plug cable. maybe that answers some questions.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ThreePointTwoTeeEl
if it connects to the back of the HU via the CD changer port, you can control the volume with the steering wheel. You gotta press the CD button twice so that itll think its switching to the CD changer, but in reality its the adaptor. it will display CD #99. I have the blitzafe....not with the ipod plug but with the 2 female rca jacks coming out of them. all you gotta do is go to radioshack and get a Stereo RCA to 1/8 plug cable. maybe that answers some questions.
That answers my question! Preciesly what I thought was the case.
I guess the iPod plugg is avaliable at some electronics store? Probably pretty expensive compaired to RCA --> stereo plug.

Would the sound quality be better w/ the iPod plug into the bottom of the iPod versus the stereo/headphone plug?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:05 PM
3.2TL

itll be the same shit, only difference is that it charges it at the same time. the 1/8 plug is the same size as the headphones you put into the iPod. The ipod plug is not necessary unless you want it charged all the time. I got the blitzafe for like less than 70 bucks. it works great. With anything that has a headphone plug on it especially my XM radio, it sounds perfect..WAYYY better than the friggan FM modulator. By the way I work at radioshack. the catalog number is 42.2550 so if you need it ask one of them peoples for one of those..theyll know what it is if theve worked there long enough cause I know that by memory..too many people ask for it.

Quick Reply: iPod/MP3-player support in 2003 TL