Installing new headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing new headunit?

Hey folks! I recently got an '03 TL-S. Cool car, but the using a cassette adapter to play music via AUX so I was thinking about getting a new stereo. I read that it may not work with my factory amp and subwoofer? I don't want to change anything else, just want it to work as it does now but with a new headunit.

What would I need to install something like the following:
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KDC-B...dp/B01MRH05S2/
OR
JVC CD - Built-in Bluetooth - Apple iPod-Ready - In-Dash Deck Black KDR870BT - Best Buy

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Read some of the threads here
Old 01-30-2017, 04:29 PM
Resident Smart@ss

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I installed this one and have been loving it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UT..._sbs_107_of_59
Old 01-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Thanks! I was looking at one of the threads there, but it was a few years old. Just wondering if things might have changed in the headunits since then, haha.

Originally Posted by ProfessorFunk
I installed this one and have been loving it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UT..._sbs_107_of_59
That one looks good, but unfortunately I don't think I can do double-din. I need something with a detachable face because I park on the street, sometimes a few blocks away because parking is a real headache around here. Don't want to have a nice double-din and come to see it stolen in the morning!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:20 PM
its actually tan

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Just get a regular Honda aftermarket harness (blue plug) and wire the it correctly and the factory sub should work just fine. There should be a amp turn on wire in the aftermarket harness (solid blue) just connect that to the blue with white stripe from your new radio harness (along with the other corresponding wires in the two harnesses) and bada boom it works lol
Old 02-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Pop's Wheels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll also find one of these useful if you're interested in preserving the aesthetic appearance of the dash and console:

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-7868.../dp/B004HMKM64 (for single din unit)

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-7868.../dp/B0029TJK5G (for double din unit)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Just get a Grom unit with a Bluetooth dongle adapter, then you can stream music via Bluetooth and answer the phone via through the stereo system. $150.

It's plug n play and very DIY. There's YouTube video on installation. GTA has the best install video... 20 minutes

The streamed sound can be excellent, depends on the quality of the source. If the source is excellent the sound is phenomenal. If the speaker out puts are adjusted just right you will have a sound stage right in the car. The spatial imagery is actually a little larger than the car. You will hear crisp highs, tight med bass, and sub base from the sub woofer. You can actually hear the different types of drums the drummer is beating on as they goes from one side to the other. The vocals are very good too, clean and clear. The stereo imagery is excellent.

The Bose system was engineer for the car. The Grom actually really brings it to life. I give it a 9 out of 10 rating.

Last edited by 01acls; 02-01-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:39 PM
its actually tan

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 01acls
Just get a Grom unit with a Bluetooth dongle adapter, then you can stream music via Bluetooth and answer the phone via through the stereo system. $150.

It's plug n play and very DIY. There's YouTube video on installation. GTA has the best install video... 20 minutes

The streamed sound can be excellent, depends on the quality of the source. If the source is excellent the sound is phenomenal. If the speaker out puts are adjusted just right you will have a sound stage right in the car. The spatial imagery is actually a little larger than the car. You will hear crisp highs, tight med bass, and sub base from the sub woofer. You can actually hear the different types of drums the drummer is beating on as they goes from one side to the other. The vocals are very good too, clean and clear. The stereo imagery is excellent.

The Bose system was engineer for the car. The Grom actually really brings it to life. I give it a 9 out of 10 rating.
no hate here just pointing out something. Of all the different ways to connect to a radio source whether factory or aftermarket, a connection of any kind (aux, USB, etc) will always be better than BT streaming. I'm not saying it can't sound good just not the best quality by far.
The following users liked this post:
01acls (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 12:12 AM
Drifting

Whatever floats your boat.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
He's been using a god damn cassette adapter... I think we can all agree Bluetooth audio quality is significantly better than that..
The following users liked this post:
01acls (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 12:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thoiboi
He's been using a god damn cassette adapter... I think we can all agree Bluetooth audio quality is significantly better than that..
Old 02-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MidoriTL
no hate here just pointing out something. Of all the different ways to connect to a radio source whether factory or aftermarket, a connection of any kind (aux, USB, etc) will always be better than BT streaming. I'm not saying it can't sound good just not the best quality by far.
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY ABOUT US
Old 02-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I just installed the GTA Car Kit bluetooth adapter in my '02 TL. So far love it - I also had been using the tape adapter, but I don't like the cord getting in the way and I think my tape player is on its way out, it makes screeching mechanical noises on and off. The hands free calling works pretty well unless you are at freeway speeds, then the noise of the car comes through a bit.

I currently have the whole console apart still, I am cleaning all the pieces because they are really filthy. Years of spilling soda and stuff has really built up. With everything apart I'm able to clean all the nooks and crannies especially around the shifter.