I have a creaky squeak in the left front suspension, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a creaky squeak in the left front suspension, any ideas?

Evening all!

Over the last several days I have noticed a creaky kind of squeak coming from my left front wheel area when I hit a bump or the car rocks. I havent got under the car to look at anything as we have been having cold wintery weather and even if I did I am no suspsension expert. When I got out of the car last night I rocked the car and that made the same area squeak without the car being in motion.

I have lots of salt, dirt and wintery crap on and under the car and I think the tires are a pound or two low as the temp has been really cold of late, but this didnt cause me any issues last year.

So if anyone has a good idea of what is going on I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Giff
Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 PM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Could be control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, strut mount. You might want to have it checked out thoroughly by a good front end shop.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the same problem but with me it's coming from both of the rear struts, or at least that general area. It's bugging the hell out of me, I though it may be the top hats but I don't know whether that would cause it.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:43 PM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i just noticed that on my 03TL. i bumped into the car, and heard it squeek on the front left wheel. then, i bumped on the car again and heard it again and again. i believe that since its been cold out, its causing the squeekyness that is going on. ill wait until the weather warms up to see if it's only happening during cold times.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZN.M3NACE
i just noticed that on my 03TL. i bumped into the car, and heard it squeek on the front left wheel. then, i bumped on the car again and heard it again and again. i believe that since its been cold out, its causing the squeekyness that is going on. ill wait until the weather warms up to see if it's only happening during cold times.
Ya, I was wondering about the weather myself. I havent noticed any difference in the way the car drives at all. I dont hear any clanking or feel any pulling that would make me think something is broken.

If its above freezing tomorrow maybe I can get it hosed off real good and spray on liquid silicon and see if that helps.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've had this problem couple of months ago. it was a bad left lower ball joint. pretty much the lubrication on the joint had dried up i guess due to the cold weather, so it sqeaks. if you park the car and go and place pressure in the front left region of the hold, and it squeaks, most likely thats the problem. do a search on "squeaky suspension" real quick. so things will come up.

i didnt try waiting until warm weather to come, i got it fixed as soon as possible. just because right now im very dependent on the ride as a student with one car and commuting... good luck with it!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:16 AM
T-Swzy

i got the same problem. my tein SS coilovers are squeaking when i go over a small bump slowly. i dont know if it's the coils or if it's the lower ball joints like said.
any experts wanna chime in?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:03 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Its the ball joint. When I was a service writer I had the guys check it out.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:55 PM
MP90 uninstalled

It is more than likely a dry ball joint. It is dry because the boot that covers it is torn or cracked from age. Once that happens the grease in the ball joint works its way out over a short period of time and dirt, sand, road grime comes in. I pulled the front wheels off my car Friday afternoon and thoroughly inspected mine. I have known about the issue for some time. If you have 100,000 miles on your rig yours are probably shot. I have 99200 miles on the clock and the rubber boots on all four of the ball joints on the front end of my CL are torn but the joints are not lose yet. There are two upper ball joints and two lower ball joints. The front end on the CL and TL are identical and use the exact same parts. This is a common problem for us. Not to freak you guys out but if you have been squeaking for a while and it is indeed your ball joints, they could be severely deteriorated in the socket and ball of the ball joints. It doesn’t even have to have been squeaking for long. The reason this should freak you out is because in some cases the ball joint will actually fall out of the socket it sits in as the socket and ball are wearing away. If left unchecked this WILL eventually happen. When it does happen, and it can happen at any time and at any speed, the result is that the suspension of the wheel that has the ball joint fails will collapse and your fender will probably be destroyed along with everything around it. Your entire wheel and hub could be ripped off the car. Obviously this can be extremely dangerous and may cause you to lose control. My point, it is not something to mess around with. Get it checked ASAP! Maybe it is something else but at least you will know. Here are some pics of mine.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:05 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Also, some dealers don’t know that the lower ball joints can be pressed out of the knuckle and replaced. I’m not sure about the uppers. They may be the same part as the lowers but they can be pressed out also I just don’t know if a replacement is available and or what part number it is. Once your boots are torn like mine you can just replace the rubber boot and repack some grease in there but they are more than likely contaminated so I will be replacing mine anyway. CEAP insurance! DO NOT pay 300 each for new knuckles with new ball joints plus labor. The lower ball joints themselves are $35 each from Acura and they are not listed on the websites.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the great info jproy! What do you think labor will run to replace just the lower? I take my car to the local Honda dealer instead of Acura, the Acura dealers is ridiculous.

Giff
Old 02-18-2008, 09:57 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Probably less than $300 or so. I am sure some the honda accord probably uses the same parts.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:50 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i just talked to acura and the lower ball joints are in stock but they're telling me that they are bigger than the original design now, so you can only replace it once, after that you need to buy a new lower arm.

so if you use an after market balljoint i don't think this would be an issue but you won't be able to use an aftermarket one if you have already had yours replaced with a new OEM balljoint.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

TSB on replaceable ball joints:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B06-015.PDF
Old 04-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Nice picture and info.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issue with my car (2003 TLS) Has anyone with the same problem been quoted by the Acura dealership to have this fixed? If so, how much?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So with an 02 Tl-S can both the upper and lower ball joints be replaced if there is no B stamped? For the upper, do you have to replace the entire control arm, or can you just replace the ball joints?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 AM
SOHC V-TEC

Man someone with the same problem as me! It took me months to figure out what the hell was wrong with mine no joke, i started and replaced all my end link, tie rods, strut bar bushings, ball joints and still creaked when i was applying any pressure to the car mostly braking. I bought some lithium greese and took off both front wheels and greesed up everything very good the ball joints, the tie rods, ALL bushings even my rack and pinion, axle booth, wheel bearing, everything that had rubber bushing or that used greese i greesed up i also checked for rips and tears and no signs of anything that is damaged...wipped off the extra greese and now NO creak what so ever i just hope it hold up hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM
SOHC V-TEC

Originally Posted by BuddyC
So with an 02 Tl-S can both the upper and lower ball joints be replaced if there is no B stamped? For the upper, do you have to replace the entire control arm, or can you just replace the ball joints?
you can get them pressed out of the control arm that's what i did and pressed them back in i have the tools at my work try local shops and ask them if they can press ball joints out i think autozone also has a tool you can rent a ball joint press for like $20 buxs.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Advanced

Ok I think I'm going to press them if possible, just wanted to check. Got to call the dealership and get the prices of the ball joints etc...Just wasn't sure if the top and bottom could be pressed in.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Instructor

i broke a ball joint like 2 years ago.. went a lil pothole after pulling out of a parking spot. my shit was slammed on 1 side. good think i have AAA....
Old 05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Instructor

anyone get a price quote on repair for them yet???
Old 05-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SLaMMeD TL
you can get them pressed out of the control arm that's what i did and pressed them back in i have the tools at my work try local shops and ask them if they can press ball joints out i think autozone also has a tool you can rent a ball joint press for like $20 buxs.
The upper ones that you replaced, did you replace with OEM or aftermarket? Spoke to the dealer and they said you have to purchase new control arms. Didn't know if they were trying to make more money or if they just don't sell just the ball joints.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:05 AM
.....88mph

great info, that squeaking was starting to concern me, let alone drive me crazy!!!