I found a rattle coming from sunroof shade. Not the sunroof squeaking though.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 11:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found a rattle coming from sunroof shade. Not the sunroof squeaking though.

Hey guys,

I have had this rattle for a long time and finally figured out how to "reproduce" the problem for when I take the car to the dealer. If I hit the roof lining near the light in the back (the one which goes on when the from doors are opened, and the button is set in the middle) there is a rattling noise. It seems to be coming between the roof lining and the actual roof. Does anyone know what the hell is causing this noise? It's almost like something is actually moving. I will definitely have acura fix this for me. It's annoying especially when on bumpy roads My girl tonight even noticed it and asked what was wrong...when she notices...then i know it's time to get it fixed!!!

btw this is when the sunshade is in fact opened.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:20 PM
JKL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey SC354, could you let me know if the dealer figures it out. I have the same problem. Thanks
Old 01-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by JKL
Hey SC354, could you let me know if the dealer figures it out. I have the same problem. Thanks
I won't be going to the dealer for a couple weeks, but will post back once they have fixed it. This time they can't give me the dredded line of "couldn't reproduce it"...I'll shove a pole up their a$$ if they do!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:48 PM
clc
Instructor

I too have the same problem.

*sigh*
Old 01-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
I feel your pain, especially in my ears, as mine makes the same freakin noise.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Same problem, looking foward to eliinating the road noise from the sunshade. Keep us in the loop.
Thanks
JH
Old 01-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i have the squeak you speak of, it may be the same thing. on mine it turned out to be the little rubber trim piece that goes around the opening of the sunroof opening. (finishes off the headliner) if i stick my hand between the sunshade and that piece and apply pressure it stops it.

Old 01-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

oh and i havent taken my time to figure out a cure other than wedging something inbetween the 2
Old 01-27-2004, 10:18 PM
clc
Instructor

I don't think the original thread is about the squeak.

Usually, the dealer puts some of the white tape around the lining and the squeak goes away (had that done already).

The rattle I'm talking about sounds like a loose nut or bolt that vibrates against a metallic surface.

At any rate, I'll try the finger thing to see if it'll stop.

Thanks,

G
Old 01-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have same prob.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

hey guys,

so this morning I was driving and confirmed that the sound is only being produced with the sunshade opened, and the sunroof closed. If I close the sunshade, then the sound totally disappears, and when I hit the same spot with my fist, there is no noise produced. I will f*cking kill the acura techy's if they give me the run around and say "well then drive with the sunshade closed if it doesn't make noise".

I swear I will break their legs if they feed me this crap...
Old 01-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by sc354
hey guys,

so this morning I was driving and confirmed that the sound is only being produced with the sunshade opened, and the sunroof closed. If I close the sunshade, then the sound totally disappears, and when I hit the same spot with my fist, there is no noise produced. I will f*cking kill the acura techy's if they give me the run around and say "well then drive with the sunshade closed if it doesn't make noise".

ok buddy...let calm down....just tell them it rattles opened and closed and you wont have a problem....
Old 01-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

my sunshade rattles a little bit too after its been closed and then opened along with the sunroof. But i found that the sunshade can actually be pushed just a little bit further back by hand than it gets moved when the sunroof mechanism slides it back together with the glass. When I slide it manually and push it firmly all the way open, it doesnt rattle. Go figure --- typical lackluster Acura 2nd gen build quality.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:05 AM
clc
Instructor

Originally posted by sc354
hey guys,

My car has been to Acura 4 times already for the sunroof.

They always said they fixed it, but I found they just put more grease on the rails. It DOES get pretty old to get my car back, and have the same prob over and over.

I shouldn't have paid for the extended warranty. Does anyone know if I can get my money back, since I'm still under 50K miles?

Thanks,
G
Old 01-28-2004, 09:50 AM
distinctiv_tuning

i got the same problem tooo
Old 01-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

SAME PROBLEM

I will take my car to the dealer on thursday. Let yall know what happends
Old 02-25-2004, 02:25 AM
Racer

Re: SAME PROBLEM

Originally posted by Black Y2K2 TL-S
I will take my car to the dealer on thursday. Let yall know what happends
Hey so what happened? I have the same problem with a squeeking roof and a squeeking passenger chair that won't seem to go away at all.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:43 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

i have the same problem

i wanted to post but i knew it was just a matter of time 'til someone else post about the same problem

when i press on the roof liner near the light the rattle stops... but im not gonna hold my hand there while i drive how can i fix it ?? it gets really annoying sometimes

@cUr@-TL
Old 02-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SC,

whatever happened to this?? did you ever take your car in?

Last summer i used to drive around with the roof in the TILT position just so the damn thing wouldn't rattle all the time over bumps.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by vtec11
SC,

whatever happened to this?? did you ever take your car in?

Last summer i used to drive around with the roof in the TILT position just so the damn thing wouldn't rattle all the time over bumps.
I brought my car into the shop, and the service advisor claimed that the technician looked over the problem, and attempted to secure everything in the trunk and rear deck area. I hopped into the car with the service advisor for a test drive, and the first thing I tried was the stereo. To my surprise (being sarcastic), they hadn't fixed anything with the rattling, so I said...come on Mario...they didn't even improve it one bit. So he looked at the sub cover and was like...ok I'll order a new one for ya...getting that put in next week.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Hey.. I had the same problem - Turns out that the rubber around the glass of the roof is rubbing against the metal when the roof is closed - so they installed this clear plastic tape around the inside of the roof, and it fixed the problem - Just let the dealership know - it's covered under warranty - there even was a service bulletin about it. Now my roof doesnt squeek - I too used to have that rubber against metal sound. It drove me nutz, especially when I used to pull into my driveway - when I drove slow up the ramp of my driveway that's when I noticed it - but Acura fixed it. They'll know about this problem - it's very common.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:02 PM
JaTt_StYleS

Unhappy

Has anyone found out how to stop the rattle from the sunroof shade. I too have this problem and went to the dealership to find out what may be done...the shop foreman was out on a test drive and they told me I could come back and see him for an estimate, but I am going back to school in Baltimore tomorow night and wanted to take care of this before I leave, as my brother is driving my car around right now.

I'm pretty sure that it is a metal piece towards the back of the sunroof, if I apply pressure to it, the rattle stops, but when I let go it returns and is annoying as f*ck...the service advisor gave me a guessimate of close to $300 which is 3 hours to remove the headliner and figure out whats wrong with it, he said he was new and wasn't aware of such a rattle, but said the shop foreman might, but when i called they said he is on holidays .

PLZ HELP ME GUYS......OH the advisor said it WAS covered under the 3yr/60,000mile warranty and I'm out of luck as my cars a 2002..
Old 03-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phat_ride_69
Has anyone found out how to stop the rattle from the sunroof shade. I too have this problem and went to the dealership to find out what may be done...the shop foreman was out on a test drive and they told me I could come back and see him for an estimate, but I am going back to school in Baltimore tomorow night and wanted to take care of this before I leave, as my brother is driving my car around right now.

I'm pretty sure that it is a metal piece towards the back of the sunroof, if I apply pressure to it, the rattle stops, but when I let go it returns and is annoying as f*ck...the service advisor gave me a guessimate of close to $300 which is 3 hours to remove the headliner and figure out whats wrong with it, he said he was new and wasn't aware of such a rattle, but said the shop foreman might, but when i called they said he is on holidays .

PLZ HELP ME GUYS......OH the advisor said it WAS covered under the 3yr/60,000mile warranty and I'm out of luck as my cars a 2002..
Took my car in and they tried the plastic tape thing but the sound was back the day i picked up the car and i took it back on Tue because they said the drip rail was warped, which was causing the rattle. mine is a 05 TL so i'm not sure if it's the same issue.. had the car for 2 days and NO MORE RATTLES!!!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phat_ride_69

I Thought i had mine figured out with it being the trim, but i drove around for acouple days with it off and it still did it. So i too am back to square 1. Mine only does it once and awhile so finding the time to look into it while its doing it is difficult
Old 03-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Initial D

Same Problem, teflon tapes do not solve it

Anyone who find a solution of this problem for 2G TL, please post.

I am sure people who get their squeak noise solved are trying to help and teflon tapes worked for them but this is a DIFFERENT problem.

I also have to drive around w/ moon roof tilted to make the rattling less annoying. Even with moon roof tilted the noise is sometimes still there - sound exactly like something is loose. With moon roof tilted, the trim is not touching the rubber.
I took to Acura three time and all they do is to apply grease and some teflon tape to the trim. This stupid teflon tape does NOT solve the problem because the trim is not the cause.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:09 PM
運転することを愛

I have the same rattle in the sunshade only when it is open.

In my opinion it has nothing to do with the sunroof, only the sunshade. Sunroof open, closed, tilted, it doesn't matter for me cause from time to time I'll still here the rattle. I think it has something to do with the grooves the sunshade sits in. When it is slid back it allows some part or something to move more freely or vibrate and cause this rattle. Let me know what you guys think about this...
Old 08-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Had the same issue and took it to open road acura in Wayne 5 times. They still could not resolve the issue. Ended up just trading in my car 2 weeks ago and got a Subaru Tribeca, which i hope to pass down to the wife when the next TL remodel comes out(hopefully would not have as many issues). Even though i took it to Open Road 5 times the service dept was aweome. would have been better if they could have resolved the issue.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:03 PM
steve a

Is the noise like a tap, tap,tap? Mine does the same. The noise is intermittent. It is generally started by road bumps or other vibration. If I reach to the back left corner and gently press on the plastic trim that frames the glass, all is quiet. When I let go, tap, tap, tap. I tried to wedge a piece of soft foam between metal frame and plastic, but no luck. When sun shade is closed, I can still hear it, but faintly. Tilting roof sometimes works, sometimes not. Dealer says I need to put silicone on the seal. I've lubricated everything I can think of. No improvement. Even tried Vaseline. No improvement. Agh!! Open to suggestions.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Intermediate

How do you get the headliner off?

I have an 03 TL-S with the RATTLE, not squeak problem. I figure if I can take the headliner off I can see what is rattling when the cover is open but the moonroof is closed. Can anyone point me to a step by step removal process? I don't want to mess up the headliner by prying anything off that distorts the cover when it goes back.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I have this problem in my 06 TL. Is it only when the sunroof shad is open, and not the sunroof itself? Cause thats the only time mine does it. It sounds horrible on bumpy roads. Sounds like I'm in a Ford, I'm not exagerrating.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:54 AM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this problem too....arg.
Seems like we all got owned by this one
Old 05-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Initial D

Acura has no idea on what is causing this problem. Went to dealer 3x, all they did is to apply some grease. Asked them to apply teflon tape but did not solve any problem.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Advanced

solution for RATTLE in moon roof

Have the same problem too. RATTLING when the sunshade is open...so I decided to trobleshoot this problem. What I came up with is that the rattling is coming from the wind deflector assy. ( DO A TEST with the moon roof closed and the sunshade open. Wedge 2 small pieces of card board on each side between the DEFLECTOR ASSY. and the MOON ROOF on the FRONT side. (when the sun shade is close it also wedage between the DEFLECTOR ASSY. and the MOON ROOF ) Then take it for a spin and see if the rattling is gone. If the rattling is gone, your problem is from the DEFLECTOR ASSY. SPRING ( the spring tension weakens from usage over a period of time, there are 2 spring one on each side of the deflector assy. ) because loss of tension from the spring, the DEFLECTOR is vibrating against the moonroof. I could not find the spring on this diagram , so on mine I am going to take off the spring and reshape it this weekend.....Hope this will help some of you out there ..>>merry x-mas
Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by revolt
Have the same problem too. RATTLING when the sunshade is open...so I decided to trobleshoot this problem. What I came up with is that the rattling is coming from the wind deflector assy. ( DO A TEST with the moon roof closed and the sunshade open. Wedge 2 small pieces of card board on each side between the DEFLECTOR ASSY. and the MOON ROOF on the FRONT side. (when the sun shade is close it also wedage between the DEFLECTOR ASSY. and the MOON ROOF ) Then take it for a spin and see if the rattling is gone. If the rattling is gone, your problem is from the DEFLECTOR ASSY. SPRING ( the spring tension weakens from usage over a period of time, there are 2 spring one on each side of the deflector assy. ) because loss of tension from the spring, the DEFLECTOR is vibrating against the moonroof. I could not find the spring on this diagram , so on mine I am going to take off the spring and reshape it this weekend.....Hope this will help some of you out there ..>>merry x-mas
SORRY this rattle is for the 3rd gen. TL (2004-2006)
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 PM
SOLD. 07 Jeep SRT8 =)

hell ima take apart my whole liner lucky for me it wintter here so my shade has been closed so i havint heard it im goin to take apart the sunroof this weekend post up if i get any results on how to fix it going to look also n see if revolt 3rd gen is also goin to work for the second gen 2 if not ill look to see wat else it is