How to enter navigation code?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:58 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to enter navigation code?

Not sure i have the correct code, but if i did, how would i enter it.

I ask this because i know with my 6 disc cd player, i have to remove the antennae, then push the code, then put the antennae back.

Is this the case with our navigation?

as for getting the code. i think my dealership might be dicking me around.

First i go and he couldnt get it off the codes on the back on my navigation. (serial number, model number). he then said he called alpine(maker) and said they gave him blah blah, which didnt work and i knew it wouldnt since i had a hunch of what the code use to be.

he never checked my VIN.

i am thinking hes going to eventually get me to give up and bring it in for service and charge me.

What do you guys think of that situation, and how much did they charge you guys to receive the code. what was the procedure or what did they need?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:23 AM
B A N N E D

forgot to add.

I tried punching in the navi code about 10 times, now the screen freezes and wont let me punch in code, even after i turn it back on.

it doesnt tell me how many tried ive taken or how many i have.

any clue on that detail as well?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Its a security code- why do you think it locks after multi wrong attempts!
Try disconnecting the battery for a while- like an hour
- then the radio and nav will want their codes
Enter it when requested on the screen
If you dont know the code and have looked everywhere for it to be written down- under fuse covers- side of glovebox door- owners manual etc.
then you remove the nav unit in the trunk- ignore the fake serial number on the side, remove it and slide out, serial number on TOP of unit is what you need

Service can look it up in computer, or if like mine- was replaced under warranty a few years ago and dealer didnt write down code- it took a few calls to corp but they finally got the right one
Old 03-25-2008, 03:14 AM
B A N N E D

Do you know if the all the numbers on the hard drive are the same ones on the back of the navigation screen?

i've seen pictures of peoples under side hard drive, and it has the same sticker as the one ive seen behind my navigation screen.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

no idea- i watched the tech remove the dvd in the truck 3 times to get the number off the TOP of it and make sure he wrote it correctly until acura corp had the correct code for that unit
Never heard of anyone pulling the screen before
Old 03-25-2008, 07:02 PM
B A N N E D

ok ill remove the harddrive today and show them the number, any tips on what not to do?

thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Team Owner

well dont show up at the dealer with a stolen harddrive, that would be a good start

Other than that- car registration- the car itself maybe, and your driver license to prove that unit goes in that car- then they will help you out no problem.
Not the original unit- have a bill of sale? that will do
Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 PM
B A N N E D

are you implying i have a stolen navigation unit?

anyways, i removed the disk drive from the car, and the numbers under the unit are different from the ones behind the navigation screen.

this is great news because now i have a new set of serial to show my service manager.

and if i did steal this unit, dont you think that by saying that i brought this to the service manager to get checked, implies that he checked for verification of my ownership before he gave me a PIN?

Think a little more before you think you are trying to catch someone. Your're a 50 year old with a 10 year old, young adults' car. You should start worrying about that more.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Team Owner

You asked what to do next and any tips
Well I had already given the correct information- which you doubted- so I made a sarcastic remark about not taking in a stolen unit as being good start

dededee sorry for not putting it in RED color so you knew it was a joke- or would you know what that meant either!

I imply nothing about anyone- I only caution those who ~appear~ to have purchased a used nav unit and dont know about the codes for the radio and nav,,, that acura MAY have a report of stolen goods in the computer- one would hope-
so that if someone nabbed your radio and tried to get the code- acura would realize it and get your stuff back!
Numerous members have reported everything from dealer wanted 60 bucks to dealer only wanted to see car registration. If they know you- its never a big deal for them to look it up and they dont ask for anything but the numbers

You are a alleged kid according to your avatar, who is new here, has virtually no post and no background expressed that leads one to think you are anything but a kid driving an adults car!

Anytime you want to do some hot laps at Thunderhill or a trip to Yosemite- bring it, and be prepared to learn a lot and be scared big time at what a TL operated properly can do~
I have competition license and checkered flags to back my story- what do you have besides daddy bought you a car or otherwise made it possible for you to have a TL at a young age.
Rent free living- that sort of thing?
Or you are one of the very few who got a job early and busted hump to earn what they have, but those types tend to be respectful and thank the person who told them where to find the nav serial number
Good luck at the dealer and with your nav.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 AM
B A N N E D

i was very grateful if you havent noticed, all the way up until the point which i thought you implied i had a stolen radio. and no daddy didnt buy my car, i came from the gutters of a 3rd world country and im still here.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:44 AM
Team Owner

congratulations on making something of yourself- you are doing far more than the average american these days

I never meant to imply that you were a thief. It has happened before that someone buys a unit from the bay or CL, and the radio or nav unit doesnt come with a code, then the dealer says the units hot.... so its always buyer beware.

If you start a thread like this by saying- I just bought the car and changed the battery- now I need a code- what do I do
It gives everyone an idea of whats happening and can tell you the places to look where the code MAY have been written down on the car itself- like under fuse covers or the side of the glovebox door, a biz card in the owner book etc.
That saves a trip to the dealer, climbing in the trunk several times...you get the idea
Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by haterade
Your're a 50 year old with a 10 year old, young adults' car. You should start worrying about that more.
That was pretty cold. 01TL4TL has been the only member giving you advice, wrote a little joke, and you insult him? You should apologize to the only person who even gave a rip about your situation.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 AM
B A N N E D

ive had the car for about 2 years now.

i think a theif would have been more focused on trying to convince readers he legitly got the navigation parts.

anyways off to the dealership.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
what do you have besides daddy bought you a car or otherwise made it possible for you to have a TL at a young age.
Rent free living- that sort of thing?
Or you are one of the very few who got a job early and busted hump to earn what they have
I'm 20. lol Started buying and modding cars at 14 with money I got from cutting grass.

(Full-time job, own another separate business, go to school part-time)
Old 03-26-2008, 07:58 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 02type-s
I'm 20. lol Started buying and modding cars at 14 with money I got from cutting grass.

(Full-time job, own another separate business, go to school part-time)
you're the prime example of a hard working american.

anyways. for further use if anyone ever needs the information, please add this to the first post.

You need the serial number on the bottom of the hard drive unit(not the S/N behind the navigation screen).
You may also need the model number, which is only located behind the navigation screen. I say may because there could be more than one model with the same serial. In my case, both models had the same PIN.

It is just plug and play, and no specials steps are needed like our radios do. After entering your PIN, it will ask you to turn your car on and leave it parked away from buildings for approximately ten minutes. I would suggest it, since there is a reason why Honda engineers, are who they are. But for me, i left it for 5 minutes and drove off and its fine. It is actually a lot more accurate then before(its exactly pinpointing my spot. i use to be off a couple yards.)
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by haterade
you're the prime example of a hard working american.
Thanks, and glad you got it all figured out.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

you have to sit a few minutes while the GPS acquires the signals and figures out where you are.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Team Owner

it was the serial number on TOP of the DVD right?- not the bottem where you could just look and see it- is that still correct for your year?

Had the car 2 yers and NOW you need the codes?-
doesnt everyone here know that they should have the codes logged on their acura.com account just for these situations

A thief would not spend time trying to convince anyone of anything- they know how to ask for things in a way that get results- they make a living conning people-

sort of like service writers and their amazing descriptions of a cars problem:
the camfibibrillator is rubbing on carbshaft and making the docilator fluctuate- perectly normal for a car of this model and age...about 1200 to repair

It just goes to show you- Experience really does trump youth

Someday, when you all have a mortgage and a pack of ingrate kids, having a bling bling new car is not at the top of the list. A solid used Acura is easily fixed up nice and is a stealthy ride. Not to mention easier on the insurance than a Viper~
Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Inspired

same here buddy but i got the car off my dad for a low price and i continue with payments hehe. and im 17 =)
Old 03-27-2008, 02:25 AM
B A N N E D

the serial sticker was on the bottom of the hard drive. you still could not see it if it were on top, bottom, or anywhere. the mount covers the whole unit up except for the front. the back is open a little bit.

i never needed the code because it only requires it when you switch the battery. even if your battery dies or something, itll still work. i finally changed batteries a couple months ago, and that is when i needed it.

i dont have a mortgage or kid yet, but im still putting down a lot of money savings, 401K, stocks, cds, car insurance, life, health, savings...
Old 03-27-2008, 02:44 AM
Team Owner

the security on the radio triggers right away on battery disconnect- the nav gives you more time then locks itself- as I found when replacing headlight housings and had batt off for a few hours-
then discovered that the ~warranty replaced nav drive~--- had no code anywhere- not on receipt- not in service dept computer- not in acura regular system--took a while but they finally got one that worked, and on my particlular unit the serial was on top of the box.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Team Owner

Ahh its good to have people watching my back!
turns out the ingrate "haterade" is banned zine member vzup~ something, using a new identity- his 5th or 15th I hear-
no wonder he would not give any info up and assumed I said he was a thief because I made a joke about not taking hot goods to the dealer
People guilty of something do tend to shift blame or make outragous statements in rebuttal, some even offer answers to questions you did not ask.
Everyone here has watched Cops enough to know that!

sent to me from another forum:
"but that 0104tl guy is an idiotr trying to say i jacked the navi, even tho i respect him from his knowledge of our TL.s

Best part of that would be the spelling~! Welcome to America man or manette
Old 06-14-2019, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

Chick with 3rd Acura...still needs reference on forgotten codes...lol

If you own a 99 or later....no stickers means watching a stereo removal video to get cereal #. The navigation is way easier to get but harder for some reason to enter if bought in another state. Just call Acura give em new owner stuff. Bam done. Jammin Bose system even for the 90s.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 254 Posts
Wink

Way to bring this one back from the dead!